Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 06:58 PM

4,703 posts, read 4,354,087 times

Advertisements

I am just looking for a smaller American, Pro-Israel, Jewish, politically conservative, conservative synagogue, Jewish Deli, gun loving, pro-life sort of town! Is that much to ask for?

Well it might not seem like too much to ask for and I hate to be the DebbieDowner here but I think getting ALL of them is just not happening. I was going to say maybe Monsey but I don't know about the conservative synagogue. actually I doubt it.
Guess you can hold out hope.Hey wait a second- no mention of medical care??? what kind of retiree are you??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 06:59 PM

4,160 posts, read 2,522,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
I was referring to the scene in Blazing Saddles where the Governor was questioning potential criminals for his gang. The potential gang member was rattling off a list go crimes he had committed and said "rape" twice. The Governor says "You said rape twice", the criminal responds "I like Rape".

I was joking, thought someone would pick up on it.
No, sorry, and I loved that movie. It sounded more like an anti conservative, anti gun, etc type of thing. Thanks for explaining it.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:30 PM

1,551 posts, read 2,421,686 times
Staten Island!

Old 07-11-2019, 08:23 PM

3,254 posts, read 4,957,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
You must be liberal. Just guessing, lol.
I just don't believe the town that OP is looking for exists. It has nothing to do with my politics.

He wants "smaller American, Pro-Israel, Jewish, politically conservative, conservative synagogue, Jewish Deli, gun loving, pro-life." I honestly don't believe there is such a place.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:22 PM

20,956 posts, read 8,571,701 times
Jews in Florida don't hunt (as a rule - like 99% rule). If they have a gun it's for personal protection and they may really need it (cars were hijacked on 95 at one time!)......

Seriously, do some online research into Surfside, Florida. Our family lived nearby and I walked around there often. Conservative Jews by the 100's or 1000's....all ages.

"Miami, FL - Surfside is Miami’s most Jewish neighborhood — it’s home to less than 6,000 people, and at least 2,500 of them are Orthodox Jews. As explained in an article on Vice’s Munchies vertical, the Chabad-Lubavitch movement fueled a Jewish renaissance in the area, which used to harbor anti-Semitic sentiment, in the 1980s."

In the Miami area you could eat at a different deli every day and never repeat. If you are a foodie you will be in Paradise. We regularly went to a local Israeli (food) eatery.....there are a dozen of them within 10 minutes of there!

Oh - the "small town" feel is there, but there is no such thing as a true small town that would satisfy the OP desires...that is a small town surrounded by countryside, etc.

Just not enough population to support the institutions.

Oh, and again, many many of the conservative and orthodox sects are not pro-Israel as they tend to believe that their own movement and rabbi, etc. is the Word. Not the Promised Land.

That all makes the OP request even more difficult! It also illustrates why most Jews aren't involved in this type of thing...most are, by nature, not followers (that is, they don't like the idea of a hierarchy, etc.).

Old 07-11-2019, 09:29 PM

254 posts, read 337,614 times
I use the VA here in Boise and very happy. I will have Medicare parts A and B soon but want a good VA nearby. We want good medical centers for both of us.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I just don't believe the town that OP is looking for exists. It has nothing to do with my politics.

He wants "smaller American, Pro-Israel, Jewish, politically conservative, conservative synagogue, Jewish Deli, gun loving, pro-life." I honestly don't believe there is such a place.
I think they can get pretty darn close. No harm trying.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjcohen View Post
I use the VA here in Boise and very happy. I will have Medicare parts A and B soon but want a good VA nearby. We want good medical centers for both of us.
To help narrow things down maybe find a list of all the VA hospitals with good ratings, and then check off next to each one the things each one has that you wanted. You'll have to decide which things get priority like maybe a shul after medical care. There should be smaller towns convenient to that larger city that you might like.

Old 07-12-2019, 01:50 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,753,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
This is such an essentialisation of Jews that I am aghast that this passes for a thread. What an earth is a hybrid Jew?
One who drives a Prius.

Old 07-12-2019, 03:46 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,529,317 times
Forget the deli. You shouldn't be eating unhealthy food at your age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement