Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 11:05 PM

3,267 posts, read 3,927,062 times

Advertisements

For the non Jews still reading this, conservative Judaism is not the same thing as being politically conservative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 11:46 PM

555 posts, read 595,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
For the non Jews still reading this, conservative Judaism is not the same thing as being politically conservative.
Correct, and the OP stated that he is both...

Old 07-14-2019, 12:38 AM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Forget guns.
Forget hunting.
Forget Conservatives.

BREAD....you have it right. Years ago while looking for "our place" we toured most of the South...coastal NC and many other places. Never did we find a decent loaf of bread...even in their "finest" of Italian eateries.....

And, therefore, we never lived or moved there. That is like the harbinger of whether a culture is advanced or not.

We currently have too many houses....but in W. Mass. we have at least 6 bakeries within 10 minutes that have the real thing...I mean REAL thing. In addition, we have vast numbers of good restaurants of every type. Of course, it's a "liberal" area, but we do have the Yiddish Book Museum so there is that!

We also spend time in RI - which is....Italian! Lots of bakeries and good bread and Neapolitan pizza....and everything else good. Just returned home right now from some fine dining in a place where they speak Italian.

You can't have it all.....but I'll take good food over gun toting neighbors, given the choice. The food is eaten many times a day...the guns sit in a safe or a drawer or wherever and are almost never used.

The Gulf Coast (Sarasota) where we winter has a lot of it all. Plenty of guns, conservatives. christians..and even jews. Not too many orthodox tho. But we have some good food now.....there is an amazing bagel place and great farmers markets with every sort of healthy food. Lots of specific foreign foods because Germans, etc. relocate there. We have German Bakeries, Russian Delis, Hungarian pastries, Wisconsin cheese shops and the old favorites of Whole Foods and Trader Joes for some staples. We have Amish markets (big Amish community).

It might be a place the OP would consider- there probably is a conservative Jewish house of worship just that I haven't looked.

Here we do - at least two on the list
Home Page

OK, so west coast Florida may make the cut!
I still haven't found any good Italian bread here so when I go home to Philly, I always stuff a loaf inside my suitcase. The aroma when you open the bag.....ahhhhh.....that's the thing that's missing from the Italian bread here. That, and taste.

Old 07-14-2019, 12:43 AM

3,267 posts, read 3,927,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogmom13 View Post
Correct, and the OP stated that he is both...
Correct, and I am both too.

Old 07-14-2019, 06:37 AM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
i really really really hope the original poster (and you too ysr) will post back with their verdict.
My thoughts which I have shared previously is that something's got to give and I suspect the food one is the hardest to satisfy with all others.
I eagerly await hearing the resolution.

Old 07-14-2019, 07:11 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,997,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
i really really really hope the original poster (and you too ysr) will post back with their verdict.
My thoughts which I have shared previously is that something's got to give and I suspect the food one is the hardest to satisfy with all others.
I eagerly await hearing the resolution.
If OP would give up the small-town requirement, I'll bet he could find everything else he wants.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:18 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,455,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Conservative and Orthodox Jews are more likely to be politically conservative than the Reform Jews, who are the majority of Jews.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:27 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Conservative and Orthodox Jews are more likely to be politically conservative than the Reform Jews, who are the majority of Jews.
Majority of Jews are actually secular - only 30% of (even) Israelis claim religion is important to their lives.

https://www.pewforum.org/2016/03/08/...us-commitment/

To state it more accurately, perhaps the majority of Jews that attend some house of worship or function more than 4 times a year are Reform.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:59 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
That is way too broad a statement.

Old 07-14-2019, 11:12 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Jews in Florida don't hunt (as a rule - like 99% rule). If they have a gun it's for personal protection and they may really need it (cars were hijacked on 95 at one time!)......

Seriously, do some online research into Surfside, Florida. Our family lived nearby and I walked around there often. Conservative Jews by the 100's or 1000's....all ages.

"Miami, FL - Surfside is Miami’s most Jewish neighborhood — it’s home to less than 6,000 people, and at least 2,500 of them are Orthodox Jews. As explained in an article on Vice’s Munchies vertical, the Chabad-Lubavitch movement fueled a Jewish renaissance in the area, which used to harbor anti-Semitic sentiment, in the 1980s."

In the Miami area you could eat at a different deli every day and never repeat. If you are a foodie you will be in Paradise. We regularly went to a local Israeli (food) eatery.....there are a dozen of them within 10 minutes of there!

Oh - the "small town" feel is there, but there is no such thing as a true small town that would satisfy the OP desires...that is a small town surrounded by countryside, etc.
You must not have step foot in Surfside in decades. It is no longer a small town in any sense of the word. I know; my condo is within walking distance and I drive through Surfside several times a week. Surfside's city boundaries may be small (only 8 blocks north to south, and about the same east to west), but it is sandwiched between Miami Beach to the south and Bal Harbour, Sunny Isles Beach, and more to the north. Most of the low and mid-rise buildings along the coast have been bulldozed to be replaced by hotels and massive condominiums. And speaking of driving, its two main roads consist of A1A northbound and southbound and they are both pretty much bumper-to-bumper at any time of the day.

And as for the delis, they're pretty much all gone. I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of decent delis in the entire South Florida area, much less just within 10 minutes of Surfside. And to get back to the traffic issue, it can take more than 10 minutes just to drive the 8 blocks through Surfside, especially from Dec. - March during the winter snowbird season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement