U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:48 AM

6,574 posts, read 1,352,342 times

Advertisements

I would only get vision insurance if it covers eye surgery, such as that for cataracts. Does anyone know if that is included with most vision plans? (This is not an issue for me now, knock wood, but I am just wondering.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:35 AM

13,226 posts, read 6,326,744 times
That’s not vision insurance, that’s medical insurance. My eye doctor doesn’t take VSP for that.

Old Yesterday, 07:45 AM

245 posts, read 90,187 times
Another who is self insured for vision and dental. There's just not enough benefit for the monthly fees. I would still pay a large amount out of pocket as I have very expensive lenses. Fortunately my eyes don't change between annual visits, so I only buy new glasses every two to three years.

Old Yesterday, 08:45 AM

31,048 posts, read 13,584,112 times
If you have cataracts you might want to have your PCP refer you to an ophthalmologist every year or two to have them checked, I go every other year and get a new prescription for eyeglasses at the same time, it's covered under my medicare supplement with no deductible or copay. I get eyeglasses at Costco for less without insurance than I paid at other places with VSP

Old Yesterday, 09:18 AM

14,699 posts, read 8,483,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I would only get vision insurance if it covers eye surgery, such as that for cataracts. Does anyone know if that is included with most vision plans? (This is not an issue for me now, knock wood, but I am just wondering.)
I do. I've worked in ophthalmology/optometry for 15 years. As with all other medical insurance issues, it's complicated. VSP is the best insurance you can get. As with medical insurance, it doesn't cover everything. Why should you expect it to? Vision insurance is not the same as medical insurance. Medical insurance covers eye problems related to disease, such as cataracts or glaucoma. Vision insurance covers eye problems related to natural eye changes. Needing glasses is not an eye disease, thus it isn't covered under medical. The only exception is after cataract surgery.

There are different levels of vision coverage. As with everything else, you get what you pay for. If you have a family to support, a higher level plan is probably a good idea. If it's just you and your spouse, you can go without it and pay out of pocket. Online glasses are fine. They are not as good quality as glasses you buy in an optical no matter what Zenni tells you. Professional labs produce far higher quality lenses and treatments. Are they more expensive? Absolutely. Are your eyes worth it? Absolutely.

I am shocked at how many people refuse to pay $600 for a pair of glasses that they wear 18 hours a day, 7 days a week for two years when they will pay $800 for a cell phone without a second thought. Still, it's your eyes and your decision and if you don't purchase the glasses from an in-store optical, the customer can't say Zenni is "just fine." They haven't experienced Hoya, Varilux, or Zeiss lenses as a comparison. I can't tell you how many Zenni glasses I have checked in my machines and the prescriptions and base curves are way off. If you are on a budget, I wholeheartedly recommend Costco lenses. Their glasses are amazingly good and very inexpensive. I wear Costco progressives myself and love them. I would buy them again.

Old Yesterday, 05:40 PM

2,202 posts, read 1,345,129 times
Medicare covers cataract surgery. Don't think it pays for glasses afterwards though. Most people (not me) just need readers after surgery.

Old Yesterday, 07:13 PM

6,253 posts, read 4,728,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
.......... Online glasses are fine. They are not as good quality as glasses you buy in an optical no matter what Zenni tells you. Professional labs produce far higher quality lenses and treatments. Are they more expensive? Absolutely. Are your eyes worth it? Absolutely.

My $500 bifocals scratched and the coatings deteriorated. Same for my wife. I would say they were cr$p, and a high price did not make for quality. My $200 Costco lenses cracked at the end edges of the frame...and were replaced...and cracked again.

My $95 Zennis have had no issues but who knows maybe they will also only last about a year. Of course I can replace them 5x for the cost of the expensive glasses and twice for the cost of the Costco glasses. I seem to see just fine with the Zennis. But that could have just been a guess so I wore them for an eye exam and had the same results reading the eye charts as with the expensive glasses.

The bold faced rip off for eyeglasses is not just restricted to the lenses. The cost of frames is all but beyond belief as I said to a large part due to the Luxotica monopoly. Good quality frames, metal or plastic, are available at a reasonable price but only online.

Saying your eyes should be worth it or saying people spend a lot on cellphones does not change the fact that the pricing for eyeglasses is out of bounds and totally unreasonable.

Old Today, 07:01 AM

4,407 posts, read 1,669,820 times
My understanding: Everything is covered by medical (cataracts, eye diseases, et.) except eyeglasses. The cost of glasses is trivial. Find your own best deal, and pay out of pocket, probably cheaper than insurance.

Old Today, 07:31 AM

31,048 posts, read 13,584,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
My understanding: Everything is covered by medical (cataracts, eye diseases, et.) except eyeglasses. The cost of glasses is trivial. Find your own best deal, and pay out of pocket, probably cheaper than insurance.
No, refraction is not covered unless you receive one during the course of an exam for a covered condition, i.e. cataracts.

Old Today, 05:58 PM

4,407 posts, read 1,669,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
No, refraction is not covered unless you receive one during the course of an exam for a covered condition, i.e. cataracts.

Exactly what I said. Refraction is only a part of the eye-glasses fitting process. However, a competent optometrist, while refracting, should recognize many medical conditions and refer you to an ophthalmologist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement