U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 07:25 PM

4,689 posts, read 3,258,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
The same antenna will give vastly different results to different people because of where it is located vis-a-vis the transmitter(s). People on the upper floors of your building might get different results from those on the first floor & folks in different parts of the same neighborhood may experience the same issues.

The Mohu Leaf is cheap & easy to deal with, try it around a number of places in your tv room (may need to buy a longer coaxial cable for that) to see where it works the best for your needs. I have a similar type antenna & settled on only getting channels 2 & 13 since they have the most shows I want to watch, everything else in Roku.

Keep the receipt & package & make sure you can return for a full refund if it doesn't work out.

Thank you Hefe. I bought an Amazon Clear Point Eclipse for $40.

I have frequently checked the connections, thinking something had gotten loose, etc. But everything is where it should be.

I wondered what the life span was on indoor TV antennas. Sounds like they last a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 03:28 AM

9,180 posts, read 3,021,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
You probably did this already, but don't forget to check the wire and the connectors that attach the antenna to the TV. Unplug and re-plug them in. See if that helps.

Also, could something be blocking the signal? New metal blinds? Something else made of metal that you moved to a place that may block the signal now?

With the RF connections that are used for antennas, the above post gives the right advice. I'd unscrew and re-screw them every couple of months. Tiny bits of moisture from the air will collect inside them and disrupt the very weak signal current that flows through them. The fact is, that with multiple transmitting locations in an area, it may not be possible to get good reception from all stations, with just one position.

I made my own indoor antenna, from plans published in Popular Mechanics. I used much heavier copper wire than what is described in the plans at the link below. I have been able to set it in a position just inside my big front-room window, that will pick up all the local stations without moving it or only rarely having to adjust it a bit.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cul...al-tv-antenna/

Old 07-11-2019, 05:24 AM

612 posts, read 276,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
When I lived in Chandler, I had the Mohu Leaf which worked pretty well because I was near a window and could put it in there. But in this house, the Leaf didn't work, because of all the trees in the way. If you have good visibility, it might be an option for you. I had to put the antenna on the roof to get good reception. Alot of $$$.
I also like my Mohu Leaf antenna which I stuck to the glass on my French doors with a little bit of poster putty. Relatively unrestricted view of the sky, so my TV reception is great...and free!

Admittedly, these days I mostly watch Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. I have developed a zero tolerance for commercial interruptions.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:07 AM

568 posts, read 250,278 times
The Leaf Antenna works well but depends on location. I get good reception for a number of channels so discontinued cable about 4 years ago. I only use streaming services via Roku (Netflix, Amazon, Acorn, MHz), and watch 1-2 local stations for news.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:55 AM

11,106 posts, read 12,494,246 times
You're in New York? A coat hanger would probably get you a thousand stations. Check here https://antennaweb.org/

Old 07-11-2019, 08:03 AM

2,919 posts, read 1,595,504 times
BTW since you are in NY (state?), if you have a Roku or something like that you might download the Locast app, it carries the main local stations for a few of the largest markets. ( Though I find it more than a bit annoying since it breaks into programming at random times with appeals for donations.)

Old 07-11-2019, 08:26 AM

13,979 posts, read 7,446,942 times
I tried an indoor antenna from Amazon a couple of years ago. Nope. I'd have to put a mast on the chimney and get a real antenna with an amplifier. It's just not worth my bother since I'd only use it to watch maybe a dozen sporting events per year.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:02 AM

7,320 posts, read 15,371,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I tried an indoor antenna from Amazon a couple of years ago. Nope. I'd have to put a mast on the chimney and get a real antenna with an amplifier. It's just not worth my bother since I'd only use it to watch maybe a dozen sporting events per year.
Tried an indoor antenna (with an amplifier) last week and got 2 stations (out of the 8 the sites say I should get at my address), neither of them well. Moved it around the room with the same results. Apparently we are in a terrain shadow of the main cluster of TV antennas. I could try climbing up on to the third story roof of my house and putting an outdoor antenna up, but at my age I am not climbing up on to our metal roof.

I will probably check out Hulu Live, which will get me 4 of my locals (no PBS, though, and I record American Experience and Masterpiece Theater fairly often)
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 07-11-2019, 11:06 AM

1,277 posts, read 597,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
When I lived in Chandler, I had the Mohu Leaf which worked pretty well because I was near a window and could put it in there. But in this house, the Leaf didn't work, because of all the trees in the way. If you have good visibility, it might be an option for you. I had to put the antenna on the roof to get good reception. Alot of $$$.
I have a Mohu Leaf 30 that works great for me because I have a second floor window that faces the transmission towers. It doesn't work nearly as well if it is moved away from that window.

Old 07-13-2019, 12:42 PM

1,592 posts, read 587,704 times
We use a Clear TV X-72 HDTV Digital Indoor Antenna and it works very well. We can even bring in one of the Prescott channels. We are in the Phoenix area.

But I have a girlfriend here who uses the same type [flat] antenna and she says a mountain blocks her reception of the PBS channel. We are not near any mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or