Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 10:52 AM

5,150 posts, read 3,758,340 times

Advertisements

What you get is dependent upon the location in the house. Of course it matters where you live and the distance from the signal.

I bought a $10 antennae from a big box retailer which was supposed to come with a usb connection for power and to get an amplified signal. It didn't come with it but I tried it anyway. Scanned every possible channel you can get where I live. Perfect reception. I'm not sure if this is the result of the tuner in the TV or what but there are locations in the house especially downstairs where I even have a problem getting CBS which is the strongest signal in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 12:08 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
CBS in my house is very iffy. Even with the high priced antenna on the roof. The sound goes out several times an hour. I don't know if it's the antenna (sometimes birds sit on it) or if it's the station, or if it's the TV. Am going to try my daughter's old TV to see if it helps. We do have many mountains around us, but the outside antenna should overcome that, I think.

Old 07-16-2019, 01:01 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
I have a MoHu Leaf on the TV is my spare bedroom. I put it as high on the wall as I could. I did have to move it about a bit to get more stations. Works fine.

I bought mine at Walmart so I could ready to return it if needed.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:01 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
We have a Winegard, Mohu, and a cheap Ohm for our 3 TVs, and each one pulls in the maximum number of channels for this area. None are amplified, either.

As others have mentioned, the terrain will impact what you receive. Luckily, it's pretty flat around here. It's comical, how each antenna is situated, too. In our BR, for example, we were attempting to get optimum reception/channels when I dropped it. It stayed on the floor, and I was able to move it into the closet just enough to hide most of it. The Ohm--a little "half" one, is on the wall, about an inch from the ceiling, and the other one is also on the floor, but not flat--it's upright and leaning against the wall, with the top just touching it. And it's behind the TV, so it's hidden from view.

It can be fun looking for that "sweet spot" lol.

Old 07-19-2019, 09:10 PM

414 posts, read 400,351 times
I use a wireless WatchAir antenna and have most of it installed in the attic. This gives me TV access and playback of recorded programs access any TV or device in the home. Recording is a real plus. WatchAir is not perfect, but good enough to not want cable.

Old 07-20-2019, 04:52 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I have a MoHu Leaf on the TV is my spare bedroom. I put it as high on the wall as I could. I did have to move it about a bit to get more stations. Works fine.

I bought mine at Walmart so I could ready to return it if needed.
ADDITION

Mine is MoHu 50 which requires electricity for the signal amplifier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement