U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 03:52 PM

4,689 posts, read 3,258,145 times

Advertisements

I know there are other C-D places to look for this information. But I've learned there are some really smart people in the retirement forum and hope I can learn something I can use.

A couple of years ago I cut the cable cord and bought a couple of indoor TV antennas. One for livingroom and one for the bedroom.

The one in the livingroom not working so well anymore. Have to continually make adjustments to its position and nothing stays right. So now I'm looking for another one.

Have any of you used one with good success? Direct Clear Stream Eclipse has caught my eye. I am in no way technically inclined, so hearing from someone who is technically inclined and knows about indoor antennas (any brand) would be so helpful.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 05:24 PM

6,131 posts, read 9,098,506 times
When I lived in Chandler, I had the Mohu Leaf which worked pretty well because I was near a window and could put it in there. But in this house, the Leaf didn't work, because of all the trees in the way. If you have good visibility, it might be an option for you. I had to put the antenna on the roof to get good reception. Alot of $$$.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:12 PM

2,214 posts, read 1,356,544 times
You probably did this already, but don't forget to check the wire and the connectors that attach the antenna to the TV. Unplug and re-plug them in. See if that helps.

Also, could something be blocking the signal? New metal blinds? Something else made of metal that you moved to a place that may block the signal now?

Old 07-10-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
When I lived in Chandler, I had the Mohu Leaf which worked pretty well because I was near a window and could put it in there. But in this house, the Leaf didn't work, because of all the trees in the way. If you have good visibility, it might be an option for you. I had to put the antenna on the roof to get good reception. Alot of $$$.

Thank you! I am close to a window and trees are not real close. I will look that one up on Google.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:26 PM

14,272 posts, read 44,972,066 times
I have a Recotron brand amplified "rabbit ear" indoor antenna, it works OK to pull in stations from about 40 miles away, with little terrain interference.

Good point to plug/unplug connections if the antenna is not working as well as it did previously.

The one I have is directional, rotating it a bit can sometimes help a weak signal.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:28 PM

26,037 posts, read 33,048,957 times
Check Amazon. The AmazonBasics Ultra-Thin Antenna (50-Mile Range) gets great reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/1byone-Upgrad...LYH7PHY&sr=8-4

I have a large antenna in the attic for my main set - receives signals at a much further distance. I have a Mohu Leaf on my small sets, it's several years old but I suspect the Amazon one is quite similar. Make sure you know where your tv stations are (direction and distance) as that is what you need to know before you purchase the antenna. None of my antennas are amplified - I don't need it. YMMV.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:28 PM

495 posts, read 383,495 times
Two things come to mind:
Check antennaweb.org and/or the FCC antenna reception website to see what channels you can expect to receive (from your address), and - most importantly - what bearing those stations are from you, so you know how best to "point" your antenna for maximum reception

Get an amplified antenna. I've been using an old Radio Shack one I've had for 25+ years, and it works great (live in San Diego, and consistently receive Los Angeles stations - more than 100 miles away.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:38 PM

346 posts, read 83,952 times
Sort of a side comment, but check out TV Fool. It provides color coded topographic maps and overlays for Google Earth or simply from the TVFOOL site itself for major metros.

Here's is what TV Reception for Los Angeles would like like (lots of mountains, lots of shadowing). Go to the website and download or search for your location. The point is, you can see what stations are strong and weak for your area based on topography and transmitter location.

This is an overlay from Google Earth so it is not protected by copyright.

Old 07-10-2019, 07:02 PM

2,919 posts, read 1,595,504 times
The same antenna will give vastly different results to different people because of where it is located vis-a-vis the transmitter(s). People on the upper floors of your building might get different results from those on the first floor & folks in different parts of the same neighborhood may experience the same issues.

The Mohu Leaf is cheap & easy to deal with, try it around a number of places in your tv room (may need to buy a longer coaxial cable for that) to see where it works the best for your needs. I have a similar type antenna & settled on only getting channels 2 & 13 since they have the most shows I want to watch, everything else in Roku.

Keep the receipt & package & make sure you can return for a full refund if it doesn't work out.

Old 07-10-2019, 07:06 PM

I wasn't sure what kind of answers I would get to my question, but I'm very thankful to all of you who made suggestions and gave me valuable information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or