Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 01:27 AM

449 posts, read 194,723 times

Advertisements

To clarify, this is not a question regarding survivor benefits but for a Spousal child in care benefits.

Do I need to file for her Spousal child in care benefits at the same time I file for my SS benefits or am I able to file at a later time and not lose the opportunity ?
I will be filing for my toddlers benefits at the same time I retire. I'm just worried that I may lose the opportunity to file for my spouse at a later time.

Her concern arises from wanting to immigrate her mother from the Philippines and is afraid it could affect her chances with regards to having government assistance already and how they may perceive the application during their review. She feels it could harm her chances negatively.

Does anyone have some knowledge and information on a situation such as this ?

Any and all response are welcomed !

Thank you for your time and knowledge !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 04:31 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,946,664 times
What is: "Spousal child in care benefits" ?

Old 07-11-2019, 06:59 PM

1,499 posts, read 884,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakadinhi View Post
To clarify, this is not a question regarding survivor benefits but for a Spousal child in care benefits.

Do I need to file for her Spousal child in care benefits at the same time I file for my SS benefits or am I able to file at a later time and not lose the opportunity ?
I will be filing for my toddlers benefits at the same time I retire. I'm just worried that I may lose the opportunity to file for my spouse at a later time.

Her concern arises from wanting to immigrate her mother from the Philippines and is afraid it could affect her chances with regards to having government assistance already and how they may perceive the application during their review. She feels it could harm her chances negatively.

You will have toddlers when you retire?

I also am confused about your term spousal child benefits! Are you a citizen? Is your husband?

Immigrating the mother is not that easy

Old 07-11-2019, 07:37 PM

7,319 posts, read 4,111,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola The yorkie View Post

I also am confused about your term spousal child benefits! Are you a citizen? Is your husband?

I am confused too. Retired people with children under age 16 receive extra benefits.

Why not go to your local social security office and ask them?

Frankly, I feel like this is a rip-off. I worry social security will run dry before I retire. Then, find out some people are getting extra payments. On top of that, the spouse's mother wants to come without private health insurance and use medicare.

No wonder the USA is going broke.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:40 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,079,914 times
Quote:

I will attempt to answer some of your questions although I am no authority. A biological parent, adoptive parent, and legal guardian can claim a child as a dependent on their Social Security record making them eligible to receive benefits. Being a dependent means they are dependent on you for their financial support regardless of whether that support come from Social Security, wages, etc. You mentioning that your wife receives government assistance which translates to me as welfare I find unusual as married woman. But in any event, if your child too is receiving welfare benefits being claimed as a dependent of your wife, once you claim the child as your dependent in order for them to receive Social Security benefits on your record the child's welfare benefits go away. And that is because you are now the responsible person to support the child and no longer the government.

I do not think your wife is eligible to receive any benefits on your Social Security record at least not until she becomes Social Security age eligible herself. And if she is the biological mother of a toddler that is a very long way off.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
What is: "Spousal child in care benefits" ?

Your spouse is entitled to an amount equal to one-half of your full primary insurance amount (PIA). In order to receive this benefit, your spouse must be at least 62 years old or caring for your child entitled to receive benefits on your work record who is younger than 16 or disabled. Also, you must be receiving Social Security retirement benefits in order for your spouse to receive them as well.

Last edited by nakadinhi; 07-11-2019 at 09:10 PM..

Old 07-11-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola The yorkie View Post

Yes a 3 year old daughter.

We are all citizens.... the 3 of us.

Your spouse is entitled to an amount equal to one-half of your full primary insurance amount (PIA). In order to receive this benefit, your spouse must be at least 62 years old or caring for your child entitled to receive benefits on your work record who is younger than 16 or disabled. Also, you must be receiving Social Security retirement benefits in order for your spouse to receive them as well.

Hope this helps with the confusion.
Thanks for the response.

Last edited by nakadinhi; 07-11-2019 at 09:15 PM..

Old 07-11-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I am confused too. Retired people with children under age 16 receive extra benefits.

We have a 3 year old toddler.

Why not go to your local social security office and ask them?
I thought maybe someone may know the answer to my spouse's benefits question. I will be filing in person, but wanted to know if I could delay on filing for hers.

Frankly, I feel like this is a rip-off. I worry social security will run dry before I retire. Then, find out some people are getting extra payments. On top of that, the spouse's mother wants to come without private health insurance and use medicare.

No wonder the USA is going broke.

I have no response to your last paragraph seeing that you are native american....
Thanks for the response.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
I will attempt to answer some of your questions although I am no authority. A biological parent, adoptive parent, and legal guardian can claim a child as a dependent on their Social Security record making them eligible to receive benefits. Being a dependent means they are dependent on you for their financial support regardless of whether that support come from Social Security, wages, etc. You mentioning that your wife receives government assistance which translates to me as welfare I find unusual as married woman.
She receives no government assistance. She is a RN.
But in any event, if your child too is receiving welfare benefits being claimed as a dependent of your wife, once you claim the child as your dependent in order for them to receive Social Security benefits on your record the child's welfare benefits go away. And that is because you are now the responsible person to support the child and no longer the government.

I do not think your wife is eligible to receive any benefits on your Social Security record at least not until she becomes Social Security age eligible herself. And if she is the biological mother of a toddler that is a very long way off.

Thank you for your response !

Old 07-11-2019, 09:29 PM

1,499 posts, read 884,853 times
Quote:
I have no response to your last paragraph seeing that you are native american....
Thanks for the response.
Wow! What fun as you get older!

I read your wife is a nurse..likely from The a Phillipines as her mother is..
How is her license coming? There are a lot of Phillipines nurses working here....she will do well..as a nurse of 50 years myself..

Hope we are helping..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement