U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 08:27 AM

51 posts, read 17,314 times

Advertisements

Had laser/PRK surgery in 2011. Best $2200 I ever spent. DW and I both chose mono vision. One eye adjusted for close up and the other for distance. I think contacts were about $250/year so from a value perspective the laser surgery has already paid off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 08:42 AM

5,168 posts, read 6,357,289 times
This is an interesting discussion and may cause me to take a look at contacts again. I wore contacts for around 30 years and ended with bifocal contacts. It eventually reached a point that even with bifocal contacts, I need reading glasses to read a newspaper or label. I haven't worn them in over 10 years. I have glasses but I rarely use them. I keep reading glasses around and will use them on fine print. There is a big difference between the vision in my eyes and I notice I'm sometimes squinting when reading, which means I'm reading with only one eye. It sounds like different prescriptions lens for each eye might be the best for me.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:50 AM

5,170 posts, read 8,694,591 times
Smile Wearing contacts

My husband wears them.

I've never heard of people not wearing them because of getting older though.

He told me recently his vision improved.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:19 AM

7,114 posts, read 8,154,458 times
I just turned 72. Never occurred to me to give up my contacts - Dr never mentioned age, just keeps on giving me a new script each year.

I should mention that I use monovision. I actually wear only one contact, on my right eye. That works well for me, but other ppl may not like it. I can read texts from my grandkids, change the brake pads on my truck, drive day and night, and plow snow while wearing it. Nothing ever looks blurry, near or far. I sometimes fall asleep while it's in.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:32 AM

6,499 posts, read 4,079,544 times
My sister, who is not 60 yet but getting there, has worn contacts since her teens and hating having to add readers over them. She switched a couple of years ago to monovision lenses (distance lens in one eye, near in the other) and just loves it. So much easier, she says, than carrying glasses around. It's a very simple thing for people to try and see if it works for them.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:33 AM

8,197 posts, read 11,913,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
For the rest of you retirees, contacts have also gotten much better. Multifocal lenses are more comfortable and the daily lenses offer amazing comfort. The Focus Dailies Total 1 Multifocal are fanstastic in terms of comfort. They are expensive if you wear them every day but if you wear them once in a while they are very cost competitive.
I tried those for awhile, but I eventually went back to my Acuvue Oasys Dailies because I just didn't think that my distance vision was as sharp with the multifocal lenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I just turned 72. Never occurred to me to give up my contacts - Dr never mentioned age, just keeps on giving me a new script each year.

I should mention that I use monovision. I actually wear only one contact, on my right eye. That works well for me, but other ppl may not like it. I can read texts from my grandkids, change the brake pads on my truck, drive day and night, and plow snow while wearing it. Nothing ever looks blurry, near or far. I sometimes fall asleep while it's in.
I did monovision for awhile, but the problem for me was the loss of some depth perception. That's really a detriment when you're playing a sport such as tennis where you need a lot of hand::eye coordination.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:48 AM

9,755 posts, read 7,035,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Just wondering - I've been wearing contacts for 30 years and I rarely hear of anyone "of retirement age" talking about contacts - always glasses. When I realized I was only looking at pictures when reading the newspaper I figured out I needed readers but I recently got multifocal contacts on top of my regular prescription because the readers were really making me feel old!

If you used to wear contacts, why'd you switch to glasses? Dry eyes? Contacts too expensive? Insurance?
I wore contact lenses from age 28 to age 40. This would have been back in prehistoric days, and even though soft contact lenses were available, I was informed that soft lenses would not do a good job of correcting the significant amount of astigmatism I had (along with big time nearsightedness), and I wouldn't be happy with them. So I wore hard lenses all that time. I can't say that I ever became completely comfortable wearing them, and I was always happy to take them out when I got home. I never did investigate getting soft lenses.

At age 40, almost on the dot, age-related presbyopia set in (you know, when suddenly you can't see the small print and your arms grow too short to see it no matter how far you hold the book out), and though I could still see distances well enough with my contact lenses, I couldn't see up close when I wore them. I could see close up when I wasn't wearing contacts or glasses, but I couldn't see much more than a couple feet ahead that way so it wasn't an option.

I coasted wearing the lenses out, and glasses at home for quite a while -this was purely vanity, I didn't want to wear glasses in public. But I worked in a clinical microbiology lab in a hospital, and with those contacts I had a hard time making out enough detail on microbial culture plates from patient specimens. We also sometimes had to fill in for phlebotomy when they were short, and I had hard time seeing enough close up details to draw blood at times. But I knew I had to do something when one day, I was sent to get a fingerstick blood sample from a patient. I stuck one finger, and started squeezing another fi ger, and the patient, not very kindly, asked me, " WHAT the he!! are you doing??????"

I realized what I was doing, said "oops", apologized and switched to the finger I had stuck and got the blood sample. But I decided I was finished with contact lenses, and switched to wearing glasses everywhere. I took those off for close work till I faced reality that age was creeping up on me even if I ignored it and I got bifocals.

I continued to wear glasses, decided that glasses can also hide nature's flaws (age related or not), including dark circles and bags under the eyes so I decided glasses were the best bet for me.

That continues to this day. I had cataract surgery about 5.5 yrs ago, and my distance vision is 20/20. I got the monovision intraocular lenses replacing the cataracts, so I still can't see close up. I could get away with just reading glasses and not wear them for driving or other distance. But those "sins" of nature (undereye circles and bags along with some lid discoloration and so on from glaucoma medication), continue to make themselves known as the aging process marches on, and the glasses still do a decent job of minimizing those.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:03 AM

1,249 posts, read 590,916 times
I am 62. I wear contacts to the gym and for special occasions. I can't really see trying to take a pilates class in glasses. Around the house or running errands, I wear glasses, and I must wear them for driving at night. I just don't see as well driving in the dark with contacts.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:53 AM

8,249 posts, read 11,115,794 times
I've worn contacts since I was 20 and i'm 71 now. No plans to change. I do use readers for small print.

Old 07-11-2019, 01:12 PM

12,686 posts, read 8,753,261 times
I'll be 61 this year....oh god, just typing that seems strange

I first got glasses when I was 14 or so. Got contacts when I was 17. Use both. Contacts mostly when I'm out, I don't like having to wipe my glasses clean, or when it rains. It is Vancouver after all.

I have had progressive contact lenses for a few years now, and although they work fine, I prefer to read without any lenses, glasses or contacts.

No plan to stop wearing contacts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement