U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 01:16 PM

10,700 posts, read 21,356,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNSLPPTSO13 View Post
Keratoconus here. Been wearing contacts since 1974(RGP). Without wearing them literally 24/7 the world is a giant blur;can't even watch TV without the lenses;making me vulnerable with sleeping with them on even though they are not necessarily designed for constant wear.
Eyeglasses just don't work for Keratoconus. Even after having the vision tests and eyeglasses
made at Bascom Palmer(Miami's most renowned vision institution),I could barely see beyond not
bumping against the furniture...driving,reading,watching TV are out of the question without my hard lenses.
There are surgical alternatives, of course for keratoconus sufferers,but they sound scary and
unaffordable. So I guess I will be dependent on contacts forever.
Best advice I have, google the surgery with success rate. Years ago someone had laser surgery, learned a huge lesson that a lot of those fail. I don't think I even want cataract surgery if I need it unless I go to Wills Eye in Philly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 01:58 PM

348 posts, read 66,800 times
Couldn't decide. Contact in left eye, monocle in the other.

Old 07-11-2019, 03:20 PM

18,677 posts, read 23,246,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Just wondering - I've been wearing contacts for 30 years and I rarely hear of anyone "of retirement age" talking about contacts - always glasses. When I realized I was only looking at pictures when reading the newspaper I figured out I needed readers but I recently got multifocal contacts on top of my regular prescription because the readers were really making me feel old!

If you used to wear contacts, why'd you switch to glasses? Dry eyes? Contacts too expensive? Insurance?

I started wearing contacts in my late 30s. I still do. I have multifocal ones, also. I don't see why putting in contacts is such a big deal for some. With glasses, I can't apply makeup. With contacts? Piece of cake!

Like many people over 50, my house is littered with readers, and I wear them when I'm not going out. Once in a while, I'll take a pair to a restaurant, if for some reason I have not put my contacts in, just so I can read the menu.

I really do not like how I look in glasses and I care about my appearance. Besides that, they correct my vision much better.

So, I don't see myself switching to glasses anytime in the near future. Or ever, really.

Old 07-11-2019, 03:52 PM

15,238 posts, read 8,527,906 times
Glad to hear so many of you are still wearing contacts without problems!

I got glasses when I was 7 and have mostly worn contacts since college. Yes, glasses are "easier" for swimming and comfortable napping and require no actual care but I could never seem to get mine adjusted so they stayed up on my nose without giving me a headache! Even sunglasses give me headaches now...from pinching my head.

Old 07-11-2019, 05:36 PM

5,247 posts, read 3,016,686 times
I have worn glasses for 71 years. No one would recognize me without them.

Old 07-11-2019, 06:58 PM

18,677 posts, read 23,246,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Glad to hear so many of you are still wearing contacts without problems!

I got glasses when I was 7 and have mostly worn contacts since college. Yes, glasses are "easier" for swimming and comfortable napping and require no actual care but I could never seem to get mine adjusted so they stayed up on my nose without giving me a headache! Even sunglasses give me headaches now...from pinching my head.

YES! I thought I was the only one! I HATE having anything on my head or face. I am referencing that feeling.

Hairbands give me headaches too. I am not even crazy about hats or visors.

I also feel the pinching and the general constriction is annoying and uncomfortable.

As far as sunglasses go, I kind of have to deal with them, because bright sun really hurts my eyes.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:15 PM

13,888 posts, read 25,323,560 times
I still have some I wear for scuba but not all the time.

Old Yesterday, 12:39 AM

9,674 posts, read 18,867,251 times
several years ago, my eye doctor suggested wearing just one contact. The prescription is the same for each eye, so it doesn't really matter which eye. It makes far distance and near distance all clear and crispy, but there's some loss in depth vision.

Old Yesterday, 03:39 AM

4,414 posts, read 1,673,386 times
i stopped wearing everyday glasses when I had cataract surgery. I no longer need them for computer distance, or for most routine activities around the house. I put on glassas for reading or TV. Outdoors I wear Rx sun-tints.

I never wore contacts, never even tried, was never tempted.

Old Yesterday, 04:26 AM

694 posts, read 160,380 times
I started wearing soft contacts in my early teens, when they first became available. Because I’m extremely myopic, and my glasses lenses were so thick, I thought soft contacts were the most amazing invention ever. They were quite expensive then, parents refused to pay, so I got a job & paid for them myself.

I still wear them, although now have bifocal contacts & sometimes have to use readers as well. My eyes get drier easier now, and I had a bad patch of allergies last winter that kept me from wearing both contacts & eye makeup...that sucked. I now have rx allergy drops & rx moisture drops. Contacts are pretty cheap now, & Walmart does an amazing job with my unusual rx.

I do wear glasses, but don’t like to wear them when going out, because the lack of peripheral vision makes me feel vulnerable, and I still haven’t mastered lining up a rifle scope while wearing glasses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement