U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 09:26 AM

56,521 posts, read 54,925,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Got Lasik.
I know you are younger than I am, but I was wondering if anyone go Lasik in their 60s, or is it too late.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:59 AM

13,562 posts, read 6,467,210 times
I got LASIK in my yearly 40s, but things changed after a while. But my brother and sister never wore glasses after LASIK. At this age I’m waiting for cataract surgery when it gets bad enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 01:28 PM

31,992 posts, read 20,169,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Won't you still need to deal with lens inelasticity as you get older? My friends who have gotten lasik still wear reading glasses.
Yeah, probably. I had one eye set for reading and one for distance. Be 53 this year, and still don't need reading glasses, but I'm sure I will eventually.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 07-13-2019, 01:31 PM

3,557 posts, read 910,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Just wondering - I've been wearing contacts for 30 years and I rarely hear of anyone "of retirement age" talking about contacts - always glasses. When I realized I was only looking at pictures when reading the newspaper I figured out I needed readers but I recently got multifocal contacts on top of my regular prescription because the readers were really making me feel old!

If you used to wear contacts, why'd you switch to glasses? Dry eyes? Contacts too expensive? Insurance?
How are the multifocal contacts working for you?? When I get to "that age" I am hoping they'll have some in toric...

Old 07-13-2019, 04:10 PM

9,065 posts, read 7,830,265 times
My wife starting wearing contacts before I met her. She said she could not wait to get contacts and some 40 years later, could not wait to get rid of them. Once retired she swore of things like panty hose, makeup, and contacts.

Old 07-13-2019, 04:39 PM

15,249 posts, read 8,616,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
How are the multifocal contacts working for you?? When I get to "that age" I am hoping they'll have some in toric...
Yes - mine are toric since I have astigmatism - Proclear multifocal toric by CooperVision but I think at least one other company makes them? ...they're expensive and ordering can take a week or so because they are pretty much "custom" because of the astigmatism.

I like them - my concern is that my eyes are getting drier which I assumed was due to age so that I might not be able to keep wearing them "forever".

Old 07-13-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Yes - mine are toric since I have astigmatism - Proclear multifocal toric by CooperVision but I think at least one other company makes them? ...they're expensive and ordering can take a week or so because they are pretty much "custom" because of the astigmatism.

I like them - my concern is that my eyes are getting drier which I assumed was due to age so that I might not be able to keep wearing them "forever".
There are some things (not just eye drops) that can help that. Punctal plugs can actually increase available tear film at any given time of day. Completely reversible if desired.

Old 07-13-2019, 04:43 PM

15,249 posts, read 8,616,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I know you are younger than I am, but I was wondering if anyone go Lasik in their 60s, or is it too late.
I would love to know this as well. I hadn't really thought about Lasik but I heard a coworker talking about getting it done before retiring just because he can put money away tax-free for it even though insurance won't pay. And then he said he'd of course save on not needing to pay full price for glasses after retirement, too which I hadn't fully considered.

Old 07-13-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
I would love to know this as well. I hadn't really thought about Lasik but I heard a coworker talking about getting it done before retiring just because he can put money away tax-free for it even though insurance won't pay. And then he said he'd of course save on not needing to pay full price for glasses after retirement, too which I hadn't fully considered.
Plus, with all the different types of LASIK (and variations, like LASEK) usually patients can find one that works around any concerns they may have with an eye procedure.

PRK, for example, creates no flap. The cornea's surface is reshaped, and you wear a protective contact lens for a few weeks.

Old 07-13-2019, 05:21 PM

32 posts, read 14,030 times
I got LASIK. It was the BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE.

Let me say that again.

I GOT LASIK AND IT WAS THE BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE.

I was deemed a good candidate! It's a scam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement