U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 01:34 PM

32,001 posts, read 20,169,090 times

Advertisements

Well, that snake oil gave me 20/20 vision with no side effects.

Common sense would dictate that you go to reputable surgeons, and not get a Groupon or anything like that.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 02:10 PM

3,557 posts, read 910,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Well, that snake oil gave me 20/20 vision with no side effects.

Common sense would dictate that you go to reputable surgeons, and not get a Groupon or anything like that.
And for goodness sake, please don't go to the same surgeon offering the Groupon and believe he'll do a better job because you didn't flash the coupon!

Old 07-14-2019, 06:47 PM

25,215 posts, read 24,103,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
While I know it's not a "scam" by virtue of the fact that people have had success with it, I have also heard some frightening stories of sight loss.

What made me say hmmm was when someone asked, "Does your eye doctor wear glasses? Why hasn't he or she had it done?"

Mine does wear glasses. I want to ask him that.
Both my optometrist and ophthalmologist wear glasses. That's good enough for me. It may be because they're used to wearing glasses. Perhaps they don't like elective surgery. I've never asked them, though.

Old 07-14-2019, 06:56 PM

3,557 posts, read 910,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Both my optometrist and ophthalmologist wear glasses. That's good enough for me. It may be because they're used to wearing glasses. Perhaps they don't like elective surgery. I've never asked them, though.
Maybe they don't want to miss out on that money! Recovery time...

Old 07-14-2019, 07:10 PM

25,215 posts, read 24,103,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Maybe they don't want to miss out on that money! Recovery time...
The ophthalmologist's wife is also an ophthalmologist, and I know that the optometrist's wife works. I don't think that's the reason. I think it has more to do with being in their 60s.

If they started wearing glasses when they were young, they're used to it.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:36 PM

32,001 posts, read 20,169,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
And for goodness sake, please don't go to the same surgeon offering the Groupon and believe he'll do a better job because you didn't flash the coupon!
VERY good point.

My eye doctor had lasik, and there is a one day recovery time. You nap after the procedure and wake up with good vision.

When I refer to "Lasik" I'm referring to all those procedures, I know there are differences. I don't think I had Lasik per se, just one of the eye surgeries.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 07-15-2019, 02:34 PM

10,830 posts, read 8,107,768 times
I wore one contact - monovision - until age 69, when I developed cataracts and had IOL lenses implanted.
I'm still monovision; left eye has a distance lens and right eye has a near-vision lens.

I have at least a few friends in their 70s who are still wearing contacts.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:14 AM

3,196 posts, read 6,973,430 times
I've worn contacts since I was 15, and I'm 56 now. I don't want to wear glasses and the contacts are such a routine now, I don't think twice about putting them in every day and taking them out.

Old 07-20-2019, 06:56 AM

728 posts, read 172,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I had to start wearing glasses at 9 years old because my distance vision was so bad. Even now I can't see the big E on the chart without corrective lenses. I started wearing contacts when I was 19, first the hard ones, then soft and have been wearing them ever since. If I'm staying home all day I will wear my glasses (progressive).

Unfortunately as I've gotten older I had to wear readers on top of the contacts for anything close. I tried the monovision contacts but my nearsightedness is so bad that I just wasn't seeing well with them especially driving at night.

I do want to try the bifocal contacts as I'm sick of having to pull out my readers to look at ingredients, prices, etc. on items when I'm out shopping.

I had to start wearing glasses at age 8 and just hated them. I started wearing soft contacts at age 14, was always afraid of LASIK. After having a torn retina repaired via laser, I know I would never do LASIK, and may not even be a candidate for it.

Try the bifocal lenses. They were as freeing for me as my first pair of contacts after glasses were.

Old 07-24-2019, 07:43 PM

32 posts, read 14,030 times
I went to a top of the line, expensive Lasik doctor to get my surgery. Custom wavefront. And they still messed up my eyes.

In the consultation, they are way too eager to label people "good candidates."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement