U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 07:16 AM

14,719 posts, read 8,556,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNSLPPTSO13 View Post
Keratoconus here. Been wearing contacts since 1974(RGP). Without wearing them literally 24/7 the world is a giant blur;can't even watch TV without the lenses;making me vulnerable with sleeping with them on even though they are not necessarily designed for constant wear.
Eyeglasses just don't work for Keratoconus. Even after having the vision tests and eyeglasses
made at Bascom Palmer(Miami's most renowned vision institution),I could barely see beyond not
bumping against the furniture...driving,reading,watching TV are out of the question without my hard lenses.
There are surgical alternatives, of course for keratoconus sufferers,but they sound scary and
unaffordable. So I guess I will be dependent on contacts forever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Best advice I have, google the surgery with success rate. Years ago someone had laser surgery, learned a huge lesson that a lot of those fail. I don't think I even want cataract surgery if I need it unless I go to Wills Eye in Philly
Keratoconus is a completely different disease than cataracts. Cataracts are a clouding of the natural lens of the back of the eye; keratoconus is severe irregular astigmatism of the cornea. They require completely different treatments. Cataracts can be treated with a simple laser surgery and/or a replacement of the intraocular lens of the eye. Keratoconus requires lifelong wear of rigid gas permeable lenses on the cornea or in severe cases, corneal transplant surgery. Laser surgery is not an effective treatment for the condition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 12:21 PM

2,959 posts, read 1,611,130 times
Was never able to wear contacts, possibly because my eyes are "football" shaped, not round? At somewhere around 50yo+ I just got tired of glasses & went to a doctor who specialized in laser surgery & got mine fried. I got PRK & not Lasik per Dr's recommendation.

Close to 20 years later I have no complaints, I notice a little loss of sharpness in my vision now but still don't need glasses, except for reading - Doc told me I would need those immediately after the procedure.

Old Today, 01:25 PM

21,562 posts, read 44,209,615 times
77 y/o. Near-sighted from age 9. Wore contacts since my early 20's, cataract surgery at age 67 ended that. Very freeing. Now, I only use drugstore readers for reading and the computer. Otherwise, I am glasses/contact lense-free. My long-distance vision is great - can read all the roads signs - even at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement