U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2019, 07:18 PM

15,244 posts, read 8,532,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
It's silly...most people have something besides investments...like SS. And why he throws in all the family sizes I have no idea. Few retired "families" are of more than 2 people...and then they'd likely have two SS's even if one is small. The logic is very shaky...I'm not buyin'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Because some early retirees still have minor children.
Like I said...few, very few - if you had 6 kids at home you're gonna retire early?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 08:08 PM

15,270 posts, read 4,033,310 times
High school dropout here with nothing further - no trade school.
Married early, kids early (3), worked at becoming a carpenter, then opened a ma and pa store. Things worked out well and after 20 years of the retail/importing/etc. small business we sold it and "retired", if you can call it that, at about 45. But I had learned computers so I figured that I would make an extra 30 or 40K doing some part time fixing and consulting (I was a Mac guy only).......

Well, the internet had came along and it turned out a hobby site I started did well....making us almost as much as we made when we had the business! And, with no employees or overheard. Ran that 18 years- just me....and a couple moderators. Really part-time....just about as much time as I spend on CD. Sold it, started another site for fun and that made some money and some fun too. Sold that last year.

A truism for me is that the less I worked, the more I made. Also, it's difficult for most people (myself included) to ever think or plan for the next thing while deeply involved in a current job....so sometimes a leap of faith must be taken.

I identify with that Financial Samuri guy and have read some of his stuff....I think he is on the mark. He is also correct about the social situation when you retire and no one else does! I guess we solved that somewhat by taking up sailing, chasing the sun (vacation houses) and my DIY hobbies (fixing anything and everything all the time).

Now I am finally REALLY 65 and my "retirement" has already been decades long. I can't compare it to working so I honestly can't say how good it is....but not having financial worries and not having to do what ANYONE (except wife) tells me to do is a plus in my book.

Now that I am finally not actually doing anything money-wise (except investing), I do meals on wheels, SCORE and other volunteer work. This gives me a bit of location flexibility as we can go to Florida during the winter and hook up with volunteer efforts there...and then come back to New England and do the same.

The downside, which there is really no answer to, is that being in multiple places means you cannot dive as deep into your community. But given the New England winters I think getting away for a couple months is a good thing...

Not sure where the next couple years will take us....right now we are offloading some possessions (sailboats are going, cleaning house, some real estate, etc.). I want to simplify more and then decide what is next....we also, along the way, gathered a couple grand kids who are far and wide so there is that part which was not there before.

My guess is this beats working until later.....for those like us who have family, etc....because of the time element. I don't know how some seniors do it...that is, working and also doing the family and traveling thing.

Frankly, I think we are spoiled now. At the same time...we did the raising a family thing for 30 years and also 45-70 hours a week for that 20 year stretch and more before and after it.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I would rather continue to work for the next 30 or so years and retire with a nice 7 figure net worth. Our retirement accounts keep growing. Our financial adviser tells us we can quit in 19 years if we want. I prefer to keep working.
Just a warning from my dear old dad - who said "the golden years are the biggest lie in our culture!"...and, being 89, he knows what he is saying.

Your health will decline. I have zero conditions and many people would say I look 10 years younger than I am (and act even younger), but the difference between how you feel in your early 50's and mid-60's is vast.

If you get the chance to enjoy more of life when younger, take it! Maybe compromise and do it in 22 years. Maybe have something else up your sleeve for passive or part time extra income after that.

It depends on your philosophy - money will not do away with aches and pains other than allowing one to afford a better opiate habit or the like!

In my experience (and in mortality tables) males will deteriorate quicker.....my wife doesn't stay in anywhere near the shape I do (exercise, etc.) but she is coasting along nicely while my back hurts more and things like that. I see the same in my parents - dad was super-fit and ate well and didn't smoke, mom did all those things and yet now she is in much better shape than he.

Hey, some people enjoy their jobs more than sailing or walking or nature...and, if so, so be it.

Old 07-12-2019, 09:37 PM

8,858 posts, read 5,136,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Like I said...few, very few - if you had 6 kids at home you're gonna retire early?
His target audience is people in their 20s and 30s, typically with a plan to retire well before 40. Therefore, family size is certainly a consideration. Not sure why this is a point of contention.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:09 PM

4,420 posts, read 1,676,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They are provided for emergency situations. Cell phones are necessary today, there are no more public phones. They aren't fancy, most are flip phones. Who finds jobs on the phone today in any case?

I think Tracphone is still $80 a year, with a couple minutes a day., and no homeless person needs to make a call every. day or even every week. Trouble is, all essential calls make you sit on hold forever.

Old Yesterday, 05:11 AM

20,569 posts, read 16,637,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Where I am I see booths set up on various corners for the phone giveaways.
I think those are booths of people trying to sell cell phones. The free ones are not given away at booth on the street.

Old Yesterday, 05:33 AM

4,840 posts, read 4,956,944 times
The new retirement plan..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m3JXheGZcE

Old Yesterday, 06:06 AM

4,258 posts, read 2,091,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
In Las Vegas just to work in a restaurant you need a health card, $350.
Can you provide a link to this? My sources say that it's $40. https://www.insidervlv.com/healthcard.html

Quote:
When working at a LTC/Rehab facility recently I was shocked to learn, in NV, a nurse could lose her license just over getting a DUI!
https://www.registerednursing.org/an...convicted-dui/

Old Yesterday, 06:37 AM

If people are talking about phones the whole point is sorta moot.

My bro pays about $20 a year as he has had the phone from long ago and has limited minutes.

Everyone puts gas in their (used) car or buys food or takes a bus somewhere....a few bucks don't really mean much....down at the bottom levels of life. Having a communications device today is a joke....sorta like saying the poor in India have a TV so all is well (meanwhile 35% of the country poo in the street).

Old Yesterday, 07:58 AM

2,228 posts, read 545,800 times
Quote:
You do know how expensive these people are on our wallets, no? On a national average, it costs taxpayers $42.5K a year to have one homeless man on our streets, and in some areas, it's even higher than that! Compare that to prison costs of $40-$50k a year. So pick your poison!
Those are not the only two options. Another option, for example, would be to require that homeless person to add value to society -- $42.5K of value at a minimum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or