U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 07:29 PM

6,313 posts, read 5,055,910 times

Advertisements

No

And by the way i like this question

My "friends" and female siblings question me on why i do not still garden, cook, take classses etc.

I'm like - been there done that. Got it out of my system. On to something new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 07:29 PM

480 posts, read 399,785 times
One word: GERD. Lots of middle-aged and older people suffer from acid reflux. Their doctors tell them to stop eating anything at least 3 hours before bedtime, lest the digestive fluids come back up in their throats when they hit the sack. So unless they want to be up late, they gotta eat early.

It's why restaurants have Early Bird Senior Specials.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:42 PM

17,865 posts, read 54,168,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourown2feet View Post
One word: GERD. Lots of middle-aged and older people suffer from acid reflux. Their doctors tell them to stop eating anything at least 3 hours before bedtime, lest the digestive fluids come back up in their throats when they hit the sack. So unless they want to be up late, they gotta eat early.

It's why restaurants have Early Bird Senior Specials.
^^^ This. Smaller meals, and re-setting to an earlier meal time are in the cards for many of us. My ENT said that abut 1/3 of Americans have some form of reflux.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:34 PM

3,985 posts, read 2,541,986 times
My best friend was very much this way. Once he got something established he was uncomfortable and unhappy if something else was done. He went to the same church 60 years, same restaurant, same stores etc.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:47 PM

6,313 posts, read 5,055,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
^^^ This. Smaller meals, and re-setting to an earlier meal time are in the cards for many of us. My ENT said that abut 1/3 of Americans have some form of reflux.
Portions are so huge now

We generally order ala carte or from the childrens menu

Old 07-11-2019, 10:37 PM

6,203 posts, read 2,862,660 times
OP- I see that you made a valid inquiry for health reasons to move the time frame.

Some healthy habits deserve to remain in place. Like bathing, remaining active.

I can't fathom not taking into consideration the guests welfare when planning a social gathering. Each person is important.

Old Yesterday, 12:00 AM

17,399 posts, read 21,239,668 times
I made a dish for the Potluck, which I was going to microwave the next day. I'm one of these rare birds that sleeps through the heat all day, stays up all night (worked the nightshift for 17 years) and when I was out on my deck at 7 A.M I knew in advance it was going to be real scorcher today, so I went to bed at 10AM and decided to sleep on through the Potluck, wasn't going to drag myself out of bed at 4:30pm to walk down to the Community Center (I have no A/C in my 1985 Toyota). In the cooler months I've always attended the Potlucks.

I did drop a suggestion into the suggestion box that, during the hot summer days, we have a Breakfast/Brunch Potluck at 8-9AM instead.

While at the Community Center I ran into a someone who's been in this community for 20 years and she said, in the past, there were no Potlucks during the summer.

Again, back to unbreakable habits. A good number in this community know, in summer, I sleep away the heat of the day, and many think it's a great idea, but there's just 2 others in the community who do the same, sleep all day, up all night, and they were nightshift workers as well. We run into each other, occasionally, at night, walking our pets at 1-2-3AM. There's 2 sisters buying a unit here, I've met them both, and Kate says that will now make 4 of us night owls. Maybe we'll have our own small Potluck at 2AM some time!

Old Yesterday, 02:36 AM

6,253 posts, read 4,731,924 times
First the word is ingrained, not engrained.

Anyway talk about someone with ingrained habits. You worked the night shift for years and continue to live sleeping in the day and walking around at night. I don't know where you lived before, but you have not seemed to adapt well to living in Tucson. I checked the current forecasts. Tucson temps are barely breaking 100 and the humidity is still low. That was my favorite weather when I lived in Phoenix. BTW, I checked today's weather forecast for Tucson. It is expected to be 104 degrees at 7 pm. That is only a couple of degrees below the expected high. If your elderly neighbor is having difficulty with the heat, the temps at 7 pm are not going to be significantly lower.

It truly sounds like you just want the rest of the world to match your weird ways. Maybe you should try adapting instead.

Last edited by jrkliny; Yesterday at 02:53 AM..

Old Yesterday, 04:32 AM

17,399 posts, read 21,239,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
First the word is ingrained, not engrained.

Anyway talk about someone with ingrained habits. You worked the night shift for years and continue to live sleeping in the day and walking around at night. I don't know where you lived before, but you have not seemed to adapt well to living in Tucson. I checked the current forecasts. Tucson temps are barely breaking 100 and the humidity is still low. That was my favorite weather when I lived in Phoenix. BTW, I checked today's weather forecast for Tucson. It is expected to be 104 degrees at 7 pm. That is only a couple of degrees below the expected high. If your elderly neighbor is having difficulty with the heat, the temps at 7 pm are not going to be significantly lower.

It truly sounds like you just want the rest of the world to match your weird ways. Maybe you should try adapting instead.
Come Spring, Winter and Fall I temper my sleep habits by waking up at 1-2pm, and when there's a potluck, I have time to cook before the dinner, and I never miss one every month.

I lived in Las Vegas for 22 years, so heat is nothing new to me, except Tucson gets a lot more humidity! 10-12 inches of precip. a year compared to Las Vegas at 3-4 inches a year.

If you've never worked the nightshift for long periods, naturally, we're viewed as weird. I have a cousin-in-law who worked the nightshift longer than I did, and she's now retired, and keeps the same exact sleeping hours right through her retirement years, much to the annoyance of her husband.

Old Yesterday, 06:43 AM

6,253 posts, read 4,731,924 times
So you have confirmed that you want to sleep all day in the Summer and getting up in time for a 5 PM potluck is inconvenient for your schedule. You think everyone else should change their "habits" for your convenience.

You have decided to post this nonsense on the internet hoping that others will agree with you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or