U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:03 AM

10,332 posts, read 9,379,305 times

Advertisements

I am in agreement with the posters who suggested "not walking" in the heat of the day and instead going by car.

Occam's razor

Last edited by katie45; Yesterday at 07:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:08 AM

1,647 posts, read 565,667 times
Like someone else mentioned, many times what seems like an ingrained habit is instead a lifestyle adaptation to changes in one's health.

For myself, my "habit" of eating only certain foods, at certain times of day and circumstances, has evolved as a coping strategy in response to having developed IBS. If I deviate from that, my touchy gut will show its displeasure in a decidedly unpleasant way -- but I'm sure there are plenty of people who, not knowing about this particular challenge of mine, view me as simply being a ridiculously picky eater with an inconveniently inflexible eating schedule.

Likewise, six hours of sleep is all my body seems able to manage anymore and so because I have zero desire to get up at some ungodly hour like 6 or 7 a.m., I never go to bed before 2 a.m. It's not an ingrained habit as much as it is a defense mechanism, LOL. Trust me: I would LOVE to be able to go to bed at midnight or 1 a.m. and sleep until 9 in the morning but those days are long gone.

Last edited by BBCjunkie; Yesterday at 07:46 AM..

Old Yesterday, 09:15 AM

13,226 posts, read 6,326,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
So you have confirmed that you want to sleep all day in the Summer and getting up in time for a 5 PM potluck is inconvenient for your schedule. You think everyone else should change their "habits" for your convenience.

You have decided to post this nonsense on the internet hoping that others will agree with you?
I think he is another one who likes to troll here. Thatís my conclusion from reading from multiple of his posts.

Old Yesterday, 10:15 AM

3,436 posts, read 1,531,248 times
We stayed up late before retirement, and slept in every day until 9:00 or so.

I really thought that would change in retirement, especially since everyone around us is up and at 'em at 6:00 a.m. even in retirement. But no, I guess this is what our bodies are used to, so we still stay up until midnight (or 3 a.m. for DH) and sleep in late. Everyone knows not to bother us until after 10:00, LOL. Our coffee hour closes in on noon.

So I guess it is rather ingrained.

Travel is good for forcing us out of our ingrained habits, and having a whole new schedule.

Old Yesterday, 11:19 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,155,024 times
Quote:
First the word is ingrained, not engrained.

Anyway talk about someone with ingrained habits. You worked the night shift for years and continue to live sleeping in the day and walking around at night.

It truly sounds like you just want the rest of the world to match your weird ways. Maybe you should try adapting instead.
Engrained means the same as ingrained. I suggest you look up the dictionary first before correcting other people's posts.

There is no need to castigate the OP. He already admitted having his own engrained habits

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

And dare I criticize people with engrained habits, as you know the saying: Point a finger at someone, you're pointing 3 fingers at yourself!
Where and when did the OP suggest other people to sleep in the day and walk around at night? He merely suggested to either to move the potluck from 5:30 pm to 7:00pm or to have a Breakfast/Brunch at 8-9 am when it's not so hot.

I checked Tucson's weather and saw that it is usually only few degrees cooler at 7:00pm. However, my experience with living in southwestern Idaho is that the closer to the body's temperature, the more tolerable the heat becomes. So for us, there is a big difference between 102F and 97F.

I think the suggestion to replace the dinner potluck to a brunch makes perfect sense. It appears that OP is willing to get up before 8 am instead of sleep in all day ;-)

Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM

6,253 posts, read 4,731,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post

Engrained means the same as ingrained. .....
It appears that OP is willing to get up before 8 am instead of sleep in all day ;-)
Ok, some dictionaries accept engrained as a rare variant spelling.

It seems that the OP is not going to get up at 8 am. They would still be awake and then go to sleep for the day. I don't know about you but I suspect a great many retirees would not be interested in getting up in the morning and fixing a "brunch" potluck. There are reasons that many of us don't eat big meals in the morning or during the day, but wait until evening to eat. Nope, it still seems that the OP wants everyone else to change to meet their upside down schedule.

Old Yesterday, 12:05 PM

31,652 posts, read 19,968,456 times
They said they would have to put it to a vote, so that seems flexible enough.

Chances are this schedule was developed BECAUSE it is what the other residents wanted.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM

3,892 posts, read 1,653,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

I did drop a suggestion into the suggestion box that, during the hot summer days, we have a Breakfast/Brunch Potluck at 8-9AM instead.
This is a great idea. Why don't you get a couple of other people who agree, and start it up. It doesn't have to replace the evening event, but might eventually become more popular.

I'm also in Tucson. It does start cooling off around 7 pm, but it's still pretty hot. At least it's a dry heat...

Old Yesterday, 06:01 PM

6,804 posts, read 3,864,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
It's one of the reasons it's hard to be in relationships and get married the older we get.

Having someone move in with you and 2 worlds adjusting to habits that have been set in concrete can be extremely difficult with age. No matter how much you care for someone.

That's why many people keep 2 residences even when they are a "Couple".

Ever try Traveling with a group of old farts? Coordinating simple things like dinner can be a challenge.

Traveling with seniors isn't that difficult though.

Old Today, 12:35 AM

17,399 posts, read 21,239,668 times
Quote:
Ok, some dictionaries accept engrained as a rare variant spelling.

It seems that the OP is not going to get up at 8 am. They would still be awake and then go to sleep for the day. I don't know about you but I suspect a great many retirees would not be interested in getting up in the morning and fixing a "brunch" potluck. There are reasons that many of us don't eat big meals in the morning or during the day, but wait until evening to eat. Nope, it still seems that the OP wants everyone else to change to meet their upside down schedule.
I don't get up at 8am, I'm still up, in the summer at least, until 10am, so I could start making quiches at 6-7am.

Being up all night, and usually on my deck to see passersby come along, in the summer I see seniors taking walks, without or without pets, as early as 5-6am, these are the seniors that hit the sack by 8-9pm and there's a number of them that do that. When I take a bike ride at 10 pm, a good number of the trailers, the houses are darkened. Ingrained habits formed decades ago! And to think they're retired with no obligations the next day, and it being summer!

Shuffleboard, which usually meets at 6pm, is shut down for the summer because of the heat. And Bingo, which meets at 1:30pm, shuts down for the summer between May 15 and September 15.

Selfish motivations? Have you met anyone yet that doesn't have them?

Tonite I got out of bed at 9pm, a bit unusual, as I like to get to the pool before it closes at 9pm.

Those that have worked the nightshift for a good portion of their lives, who can't seem to "turn it around", even in their retirement years, and those that continue to work the nightshift are a minority, and I may say a persecuted minority. Our skin color may as well be orange, purple, green or black.

Knowing full well, during the working days, that I sleep all day, family would come to visit and suggest a noon luncheon. And some remarks: Ah! He just wants to get his beauty sleep! Said, sarcastically. Yet if I visited them and suggested a dinner at midnite, imagine the reaction!

I'll be back cooking up a storm (I usually knock myself cooking and baking for these monthly events) for the September Potluck! See ya' then, unless a certain number elect to change their ingrained habits!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or