U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 213 times

Advertisements

I'm wanting to move to Canada & am on SSDI/adult childhood disability benefits through my retired father that was a police officer and in the Navy that's passed away. If I move will I lose my benefits after 6 months? They don't give anything clear or clean cut about this. I know that I wouldn't have my insurance anymore. If the benefits continue what are the conditions or process I'll have to go through to keep them going?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 01:04 PM

1,974 posts, read 2,722,569 times
Canada doesn't want US retirees. I looked into at 60, 65 and just recently (I'm 70). It used to be the every six months, a US citizen had to return to The US and spend the night. Now I believe it's six months -- in other words, you can live in Canada for six months but you have to return to The US and live here for six months.

As far as I remember, there is no problem getting your SSDI in Canada. Just call SS and find out.

Old 07-11-2019, 01:07 PM

39,568 posts, read 2,987,493 times
Will you be able to get Canadian health insurance? If you currently qualify for Medicare, I would really think hard, about dropping it. Maybe find a border town, so you can have the best of both worlds.

Old 07-11-2019, 02:06 PM

11,991 posts, read 5,122,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zia94 View Post
I'm wanting to move to Canada & am on SSDI/adult childhood disability benefits through my retired father that was a police officer and in the Navy that's passed away. If I move will I lose my benefits after 6 months? They don't give anything clear or clean cut about this. I know that I wouldn't have my insurance anymore. If the benefits continue what are the conditions or process I'll have to go through to keep them going?
Keep in mind you posted this in the retirement forum. The vast majority of people here receive social security retirement benefits, not disability. The two things are very different.

Old 07-11-2019, 02:21 PM

39,568 posts, read 2,987,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Keep in mind you posted this in the retirement forum. The vast majority of people here receive social security retirement benefits, not disability. The two things are very different.
I agree, but many SSDI people also receive Medicare. If OP is disabled, then I would think health care would be a priority. They could live in Canada & maintain a USA address & access the money via an atm. But health care needs to be investigated.

Old Yesterday, 04:30 AM

4,414 posts, read 1,673,386 times
SSDI is the same as SS, you simply become eligible at an earlier age. It will still pay you anywhere in the world.

Two things -- SSDI can make you requalify periodically, as medical condition can change. And Medicare NEVER pays for medical expenses outside USA. For medicare, you need to get yourself to a US doctor/hospital/pharmacy.

Used to be you can stay in Canada forever as a visitor, but have to re-enter every 6 months. Not sure now.

I got SSDI for years living n South America, just got US bank direct deposit and used ATM.

Last edited by cebuan; Yesterday at 04:42 AM..

Old Today, 10:42 AM

56,083 posts, read 54,565,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
Canada doesn't want US retirees. I looked into at 60, 65 and just recently (I'm 70). It used to be the every six months, a US citizen had to return to The US and spend the night. Now I believe it's six months -- in other words, you can live in Canada for six months but you have to return to The US and live here for six months.

As far as I remember, there is no problem getting your SSDI in Canada. Just call SS and find out.
Yes, and I wonder why. If we have our own income and health insurance, why wouldn't they want us to spend that money on their side of the border?

Old Today, 11:39 AM

6,884 posts, read 7,281,254 times
The key question first is will Canada let you stay? If so, for how long? If you want to move there to live permanently, Canada wants you to have assets and financials resources....and I don't think they mean gov't benefits/assistance. (I'm not knocking those who receive those benefits.)

Old Today, 11:53 AM

1,974 posts, read 2,722,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
The key question first is will Canada let you stay? If so, for how long? If you want to move there to live permanently, Canada wants you to have assets and financials resources....and I don't think they mean gov't benefits/assistance. (I'm not knocking those who receive those benefits.)
Canada doesn't care. It will allow us to petition to stay permanently only if we have relatives there. And as I said before, I am pretty positive that the rest of us can stay for only six months, and then we have to come back to The US for six months. I THINK it used to be that we had to come to The US just overnight at the end of every six months -- but that was so long ago (10+ years), I'm not positive I read the R&Rs correctly. In any case, Canada wants us only if we have skills that they can use (like computer skills), and even then, there has to be a lack of Canadian employees in whatever field.

If I remember correctly, the main reason Canada doesn't want us old and elderly is because, even if we buy into its medical insurance system, we are going to be a drain on the medical care system. In other words, we'll never be able to pay for the medical care we will need, and, consequently, Canada will lose money having us there. I remember reading that "retirees/old people are a drain on Canada".

Trust me -- if the average US citizen (with more than enough money/assets required) could move there, I would be there right now.

Old Today, 02:43 PM

19,916 posts, read 14,235,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zia94 View Post
I'm wanting to move to Canada & am on SSDI/adult childhood disability benefits through my retired father that was a police officer and in the Navy that's passed away. If I move will I lose my benefits after 6 months?
What is your benefit status?

Everyone falls into one of three groups:

1) Condition Likely to Improve: medical records reviewed every 18 months.
2) Condition May Improve: medical records reviewed every 3 years.
3) Condition Not Likely to Improve: medical records reviewed every 5 years.

Your status can change upon any review, and you have no recourse.

You only have recourse if they terminate your benefits.

You have to respond to a CDR (Continuing Disability Review). They mail it to you, you complete it and send it back, and if you don't, they automatically terminate your benefits. You're going to have a very hard time getting them reinstated and it could take years before they are, if they are.

If they see no activity in your medical records appropriate to your disability, they will change your status or terminate your benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement