U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is most important for your well bieng?
My partner 30 41.67%
Mornings. Fresh coffee, walk in the woods, birdcalls 12 16.67%
Energy to get out there and engage with life 29 40.28%
Read and write 7 9.72%
Ice cream and chocolate, a soft and comfy bed. 9 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 04:56 AM
Status: "The nicest curve on a woman's body is her smile" (set 19 days ago)

2,426 posts, read 4,314,656 times

Advertisements

For me.... my time outside doing stuff. My Indian name is sweats-all-the-time. The dogs don't mind at all. Day starts quietly with coffee and ends quietly... with a booza-poluza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 06:31 AM

22 posts, read 15,315 times
My partner with ice cream and chocolate in a soft comfy bed.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:26 AM

8,787 posts, read 7,707,284 times
You left out the by far most important, God.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:42 AM

2,239 posts, read 545,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
My wife ,,,,if she ain’t happy , no one is happy.. ice cream ain’t making that problem go away
How about earplugs or noise cancelling headphones?

Old 07-13-2019, 07:47 AM

7,228 posts, read 12,672,293 times
OP, you left out another choice that is incredibly important to a lot of people in retirement, which is their pets.

When my mom's beloved dog died just after she'd been admitted to rehab (for a bad fall), I think we all thought that might be the beginning of the end for her ... and it was.

I hope my SO and I are still together in retirement, but if we're not, I know I'll always have animals in my life and in my house (and yes, I've made provisions for them in case of my death!).

Old 07-13-2019, 08:21 AM

1,654 posts, read 569,044 times
Pets definitely should have been a choice, for sure.

Also "Peace and quiet" ! If I can't have peace/quiet/privacy my stress levels goes off the charts bigtime and quickly.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:06 AM

3,135 posts, read 1,724,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
OP, you left out another choice that is incredibly important to a lot of people in retirement, which is their pets.

When my mom's beloved dog died just after she'd been admitted to rehab (for a bad fall), I think we all thought that might be the beginning of the end for her ... and it was.

I hope my SO and I are still together in retirement, but if we're not, I know I'll always have animals in my life and in my house (and yes, I've made provisions for them in case of my death!).
Does wildlife around you, in the woods and shores, not count? Personally that is dearer to me, to protect their environment and habitats so they live in their own being, than having a pet animal, so totally dependent on me to provide food, shelter, and entertainment . That feels sad to me but I know you, and many others, feel differently.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:16 AM

21,870 posts, read 16,702,058 times
Good music, quietness, staying physically and mentally fit, getting to bed early, Bible study. Oh yes. . . and chocolate.

Last edited by Mike555; 07-13-2019 at 09:27 AM..

Old 07-13-2019, 09:21 AM

996 posts, read 302,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Does wildlife around you, in the woods and shores, not count? Personally that is dearer to me, to protect their environment and habitats so they live in their own being, than having a pet animal, so totally dependent on me to provide food, shelter, and entertainment . That feels sad to me but I know you, and many others, feel differently.
I do both - two dogs and two bird feeders and flowers for bees.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:57 AM

7,228 posts, read 12,672,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Not sure why it has to be either-or? I actually have a lot of wildlife on my property (as I've posted about in other threads); for example, it was a highlight of my day a few weeks ago when I looked outside at my backyard and saw a mama dear and her baby, who was tiny -- probably the size of a medium cat. (I messaged my neighbors to be on the lookout and many were delighted too! I see deer quite often but had never seen a baby that small.) There's lots of wildlife in my neighborhood, from deer to foxes and wild turkeys and even a bear (I've never seen him although I've seen EVIDENCE of his footprints in the snow around my house!). One of the reasons I may stay in this house after retirement is that I love my lot and the neighborhood -- including the wildlife.

Pets are different. Yes, mine ARE dependent on me to provide food and shelter, although they often provide their own entertainment (as well as entertain ME, of course!). I've never heard anyone call that "sad" before so that puzzles me too. But mostly, I'm not sure why you made it sound like it's either-or? I definitely enjoy both!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement