Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 09:01 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Does this mean that I can’t even yell, “Get off my lawn”?
Expect to be shot if you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 10:25 PM

4,606 posts, read 2,994,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by See If This Works View Post
After that first icy road and that first -20 windchill, you'll wish you back rustin in Tustin.
I like coastal climates and landscapes best, but wouldn't mind dividing my time between
summer and fall in Ft Collins / winter and spring in Tucson.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:42 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,766,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Sounds great to me, keep all those hippies with their marijuanas and their hipity hop music, out !!
The ban didn't say anything about endless consumption of munchies while listening to the Grateful Dead.

Old 07-13-2019, 11:52 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times
The article says that the noise came from large group gatherings.

I live above the community room in my apartment building and one of the tenants' daughter was having huge family get-togethers every weekend, saying it was a "private party" and closing the doors to the community room with signs saying it was a private party. I'm talking at least 30 people and children with lots of yelling and screaming kids. And they were using the kitchen and cooking really smelly fish that made the entire building reek of fish. The tenant is 96 years old. It was her daughter who was commandeering our community room. Her mother is really quiet and timid and obviously had nothing to do with organizing huge parties.

And they kept other residents out of the community room for several hours every weekend. Tenants were bringing chairs into the hallway so they could hang out outside the community room where they usually would be getting together to play cards, etc.

I complained after this had been happening for several weekends in a row and told management it sounded like I was living above a sports bar, where there were waves of yelling, like people were watching a game on the television. Maybe they were. Management said that yes, residents can have private parties by asking the office for permission. I complained again after the next weekend and said, are you sure you're giving permission for these large parties every weekend that are keeping all other residents from having access to the community room for hours and hours and making so much noise and using the kitchen? And that time, I also copied our lazy manager's supervisor. I am betting other tenants were finally starting to complaint, too.

After complaining to the supervisor, miraculously there haven't been any more giant get-togethers down there since.

It was so irritating, because I walk through the community room to sneak out the back gate with my dog, and they were stopping me when I'd open the door and tell me, "This is a private party." I told them, "well I live here and I'm walking through, and I'm going to be asking management if you really have permission to do this every week!" I think she was afraid I was going to eat their food or something.

So, it was peaceful for a few months, after complaining to the supervisor about the giant food fry every weekend for a while there. Then, I kept hearing this banging noise from the community room in the evenings. Loud slamming sounds. After a few days of this, I went down to see what was going on, thinking someone was doing some kind of construction down there, and a woman was sitting on the floor in the kitchen in the community room, slamming raw fish on newspaper on the floor with a mallet, to tenderize it, I guess. And she was frying up a ton of fish on the stove in the community room, smelling up the whole building, with grease flying all over the stove.

I chased her out of the kitchen. She was saying, "I have permission!" I said, "well, I don't believe you have permission from management to tenderize raw fish on the floor and fry it in the community room" She told me her mother's kitchen was too small (she was too young to be a resident), and she had permission. So I got out my phone and started taking photos of her and told her, "okay, I'll send this photo to management and ask her if you have permission". She freaked out and got all her stuff and hurried out saying, "Why you take picture, I stop, I stop!" LOL. I followed the lady so I could find out which apartment her mother lived in to tell management.

Yeah, I'm the crazy lady in the building not putting up with these types of people.

So, I emailed management about that, too, and sent the photos and there hasn't been any more fish frying or raw fish pounded on the kitchen linoleum flooring. Wouldn't be surprised if she damaged the floor. She was slamming the hell out that fish.

That woman was not just frying fish for her mother, it was enough fish for an army. So, maybe feeding her own family or even cooking it here to sell it? I don't know.

And when those types of things aren't going on down there, there are three men who sit in the community room all day, watching the TV and using the internet. Yes, they were all just letting that woman pound her fish, argh. I find it uncomfortable to go down there. One guy just stares at anyone who goes in there. Won't say hi back, just stares at you and watches your every move. So creepy. Another one is always drunk and watches Fox TV all day on the community TV, and plays it super loud. The other one is super religious and has bible sessions and looks mad at the world, in judgment of everyone. The man never smiles.

There's a group that hangs out in the front lobby, I think of as running the gauntlet. Whenever I come and go through the front doors, I usually have to negotiate my way through a noisy and very nosy group. Hence, why I sneak out the back through the private parties.

So, I completely understand why they made this rule. Good for them. There's always a group of tenants in these buildings who are really noisy and nosy and cliquish. And, there are always tenants who will push the boundaries.

So, whatever was happening was bad enough that there were enough complaints, high enough up the management chain, that they took some action.

In apartment living, everyone has to put up with reasonable noise. But, that's the key word. If the noise becomes unreasonable to the point that people can't live in peace in their homes, then it should be dealt with.

Like, I am find with putting up with normal community room noise. Like when there is Bingo or a July 4th party for the tenants. And when my next door neighbor has company, and I can hear them talking or her TV once in a while, etc. That's normal, acceptable noise.

My guess is in the article, there is some group that hangs out and is loud enough on a constant basis, that they're making some tenants miserable. Now, hopefully, their management will actually follow-up and do something other than just put out a memo about noise.

Here, I will say that when a complaint goes over our lazy manager's head, we usually do get results. Her supervisor tells her to take action.

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 07-14-2019 at 12:00 AM..

Old 07-14-2019, 12:05 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
"The Peoples Republic of Boulder" says it all. The scenery is deceptive. Underneath lies a deep tide of conformity to entitled liberalism. I fled in 1996...to Denmark of all places.

Old 07-14-2019, 07:11 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post

BOULDER COUNTY, Colo. — Residents at a 55+ living complex in Louisville, Colorado are upset about a new noise ban being enforced.

The ban restricts all loud conversation, laughter and television sound in common areas of the complex.
If I live to be 110 I hope I am never so old as to want to live in a place like that .

Old 07-14-2019, 02:17 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,111,765 times
NoMoreSnowForMe: Just finished reading your post. What a mess that place must have been. After reading all the details, I realized how lucky I am to live where I am living.

We never know how good we have it till we don't have it anymore.

Thank you for sharing.

Old 07-14-2019, 02:24 PM

7,184 posts, read 9,315,042 times
I do live in Colorado and I have total peace and quiet.

I live in a sfh on a half acre lot. The spacing between homes is 50 feet and all lots are fenced.

Life's been good to me so far.

Old 07-14-2019, 02:49 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I do live in Colorado and I have total peace and quiet.

I live in a sfh on a half acre lot. The spacing between homes is 50 feet and all lots are fenced.

Life's been good to me so far.
Yes, you could even do that in Boulder in the 1950's, I have several relatives who did.
It was nice while it lasted.

There are several hundred communities left in CO where you can live safe a peaceably. (if you consider state politics safe. +/-.) Every place has it's burdens.

One thing I can't stand is 'fenced yards'. (Should I ever have to live in town (I sure hope not!))

Building privacy fences was a really good and profitable business for us Colorado HS kids. (Thank goodness we had that business, anything to avoid school!)

Old 07-14-2019, 04:08 PM

7,184 posts, read 9,315,042 times
Where I live, my back yard interfaces to a wild area. Frequently, coyotes roam on the back of my fence.

My stupid dachshunds are not afraid of the coyotes behind the fence. In fact, they run out and bark at them.

Good fences make good neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement