U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2019, 07:53 PM

5,189 posts, read 3,593,469 times

Advertisements

I enjoyed reading when I was young but reading wasn't always easy. My eyes were the problem. One near sighted, one far sighted. Had to pay attention constantly to keep the words in focus.

Now with glaucoma and the recent retina problem, reading isn't as enjoyable as it once was. I often have blurring and lose track of what sentence I was in. Really spoils the fun of reading.

But at least I am not blind.

I do use a Nook to read as I can easily enlarge the font for easier reading.

Audio books have been suggested. I'm not ready to do that, yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 08:33 PM

2,501 posts, read 1,088,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPeople View Post
Walking through Costco, there is a book section, some people browsing. Are they just bored waiting for someone or do people still read books today? I loved paper books as a kid, audio books later, now computer simulations of books. Books take up space so download it to the computer and delete when bored or done. I read an actual paper library book maybe once a year, here we have virtual rentals that expire like paper books so why drive a car for miles? Back and forth, waste of time.
Contrary to what the ebook publishers would have you believe, “real books” are alive and well. I look for books all the time, and yes of course I have many electronic books. I will always prefer holding an actual book to reading it on any of my devices.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:07 PM

510 posts, read 324,637 times
[quote=WellShoneMoon;55665074]I was a voracious reader from age six, majored in English as an undergrad and got a Master's in English Literature (hence the Shakespearean user name) (hence the use of the word "hence" ). But in the last couple of years, for reasons I can't explain, I have lost interest in reading books. Fiction just bores me now -- I find I just don't care about the characters or what happens to them. Once in a while I'll read a memoir if it's really well written.

Wellshonemoon, I just finished a memoir by the poet Don Hall, and he said the same thing, a loss of interest in reading, when that had always been the breath of life. Interesting, wonder how common this is.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:40 AM

252 posts, read 140,367 times
Can't recall the last time I read a paper book. Probably 2015. Sad to say it, because I always loved browsing book stores. But it is much easier for me (as a senior) with the iPad's back lighting and the type adjustments. And far less clutter in the house. I dumped tons of books and kept a last-stand collection when I last moved, but haven't touched any of them. All iBooks for me.

I am cheered to see so many people still doing paper books, though.

Old 07-15-2019, 02:13 AM

115 posts, read 34,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I use my kindle at least 5 hours a day, I have to charge it about once a week. I can also charge it in the car, it has the same charger as my cell phone. If we are going to get into pennies, how about the shoe leather on the walk to the bookstore. (j/k)
My library does offer some e books, which I have read, but sometimes I have to order the print version for pick up. I now find books clunky in comparison to my kindle.
But to each, their own.
I find that if I keep the wifi turned off the battery lasts much longer.

Old 07-15-2019, 02:19 AM

115 posts, read 34,856 times
Question for those who will only read paper books:

How often do you travel via planes or trains every year? Have you ever put heavy books in a backpack along with all the other carry on items? Can you fit thick paper books into the seat backs on a plane?

Old 07-15-2019, 05:42 AM

3,590 posts, read 5,286,999 times
Yes, I still read paper books. I prefer paper books to digital ones. I enjoy flipping the pages and the variety of sizes books come in. I do not listened to audio books because one of the reasons I like to read is because I enjoy the peace and quiet of reading.

Old 07-15-2019, 06:04 AM

6,593 posts, read 3,010,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandGranny View Post
Question for those who will only read paper books:

How often do you travel via planes or trains every year? Have you ever put heavy books in a backpack along with all the other carry on items? Can you fit thick paper books into the seat backs on a plane?
I travel a moderate amount - maybe on a plane 10-20 times a year.

Yes.

Yes (well, kind of).

Look, I am not saying there could never be a place for e-books, but they will never replace paper in my opinion. You're going to get the hits - all 40 of them - and that's what you're going to get. Anything published before about 1930 is probably going to be limited to English class books. Lesser-known works of lesser-known authors? Forget about it.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:08 AM

10,885 posts, read 5,963,298 times
Sure do!

Yesterday, the computer was being tedious of its downloads, so sitting there, I picked up a book and started reading. It's a biography on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beryl_Markham Hardback, I think I picked it up at 1/2 Price for a buck. "Straight on till Morning".

Old 07-15-2019, 08:18 AM

2,861 posts, read 6,574,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandGranny View Post
I find that if I keep the wifi turned off the battery lasts much longer.
Yeah, mine last for weeks with the WiFi turned off. The other thing I discovered early on is that if the WiFi is disabled, my library checkouts won't expire (from my POV). So I usually load up on library ebook checkouts, sync once, and then turn off the WiFi until I've read all of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement