U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2019, 07:23 AM

290 posts, read 141,691 times

Advertisements

I love to read and read between 70-90 books a year. I have a Kindle and I like it. But I also go to the library and check out books. I also work with people who love to read and we share books all the time. And I have a shelf of old favorites at home and some I reread every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 08:45 AM

7,317 posts, read 15,371,647 times
Probably 90% of the books I read are on my Kindle Oasis ereader. I buy the ones I like and "rent" many others (Kindle Unlimited). The other 10% of my reading is specialty/rare books that either don't come in Kindle format or have images/graphs that are easier to read on the page. I read somewhere between 10-25 books a month.

Kindles came out when my eyes were failing and the ability to change the font size kept me reading for years.

I back up the books I buy to my hard drive so I will have access to them no matter what Amazon decides to do in the future.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 07-15-2019, 09:00 AM

213 posts, read 122,781 times
Endless TV commercials. Have you been injured in a car crash? Rows of paper law books on the shelves in the background. Not a lawyer, but I suspect they use computers these days and those paper books are just a prop.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:13 AM

5,458 posts, read 2,849,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Probably 90% of the books I read are on my Kindle Oasis ereader. I buy the ones I like and "rent" many others (Kindle Unlimited). The other 10% of my reading is specialty/rare books that either don't come in Kindle format or have images/graphs that are easier to read on the page. I read somewhere between 10-25 books a month.

Kindles came out when my eyes were failing and the ability to change the font size kept me reading for years.

I back up the books I buy to my hard drive so I will have access to them no matter what Amazon decides to do in the future.
That is a good reason to use one!

Old 07-15-2019, 09:48 AM

9,006 posts, read 2,786,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPeople View Post
Walking through Costco, there is a book section, some people browsing. Are they just bored waiting for someone or do people still read books today? I loved paper books as a kid, audio books later, now computer simulations of books. Books take up space so download it to the computer and delete when bored or done. I read an actual paper library book maybe once a year, here we have virtual rentals that expire like paper books so why drive a car for miles? Back and forth, waste of time.
Absolutely read paper books almost exclusively. My little library knows my voice when I call, lol. I don't buy books.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:49 AM

467 posts, read 428,564 times
The reading habits of anyone buying books in Costco are not terribly interesting. There isn’t much more to know. To answer OP’s question - paper books are still very alive and well. I consume them in all forms - paper, e-reader, audio - and there is nothing like browsing and finding interesting books in a good bookstore or library.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:54 AM

6,842 posts, read 3,882,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post

My kids got me a kindle when I complained about difficulty reading book text. It's been great to be able to adjust the font size and read easily again!!

Old 07-15-2019, 10:16 AM

7,317 posts, read 15,371,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
My kids got me a kindle when I complained about difficulty reading book text. It's been great to be able to adjust the font size and read easily again!!
I used to have one of the big Kindles, the DX, almost 10". Very heavy and not as convenient to carry around as the Oasis with the 6" screen. I wish they'd come out with a large size in eink again. I have a 10" tablet with the Kindle app, but it's hard on my eyes to read off a tablet/laptop/computer screen for very long.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 07-15-2019, 10:21 AM

7,330 posts, read 4,176,914 times
I prefer paper books over ebooks, for the simple reason that I am more likely to actually read them. About the only time I read ebooks is when I am traveling.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:35 AM

8,141 posts, read 7,652,535 times
I enjoy reading daily whether it be in actual hard or soft copy, digital, or even audio form. Mostly, when at home, I do prefer books I can physically pages. Before and after my days working in a library I spent quite a bit of my leasure time in libraries. I'll never loose my love of books paper or otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement