U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2019, 10:58 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,882,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I used to have one of the big Kindles, the DX, almost 10". Very heavy and not as convenient to carry around as the Oasis with the 6" screen. I wish they'd come out with a large size in eink again. I have a 10" tablet with the Kindle app, but it's hard on my eyes to read off a tablet/laptop/computer screen for very long.

I just have the original 7 in Kindle fire. I enlarge the font and problem solved!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 11:44 AM

20,423 posts, read 37,846,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandGranny View Post
Question for those who will only read paper books:

How often do you travel via planes or trains every year? Have you ever put heavy books in a backpack along with all the other carry on items? Can you fit thick paper books into the seat backs on a plane?

Not very often, but occasionally.

Yes.

Yes.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:00 PM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 27 days ago)

8,742 posts, read 10,862,655 times
Yes, there's nothing like a real book.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:05 PM

1,339 posts, read 655,082 times
I agree.....nothing like a real book.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:06 PM

538 posts, read 312,622 times
I've never had the battery die on a book...

Old 07-15-2019, 12:11 PM

1,688 posts, read 580,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandGranny View Post
Question for those who will only read paper books:

How often do you travel via planes or trains every year?
I stopped traveling via planes (trains have never been a travel method of mine) more than a decade ago.

However, even when I did fly several times a year I did not take books with me. When I was single, on a transatlantic flight I might pick up a cheap paperback book for a one-time read but after age 35 all my flights were with a child along and let's face it: who has TIME to read under those conditions? LOL It was much easier to just watch the in-flight movie.

If I had to travel via plane or train for longer than an hour or so nowadays, I'd take my iPad mini and play games on it. That's the only thing I use it for anyway, LOL. I used to sit in doctors waiting rooms bored to tears (if they didn't have a tv; most do, now, anyhow) because I didn't want to read the "germy" magazines ... so now I just tuck my iPad mini into my purse and play one of the dozen or so games that are on it instead. Right now I happen to be addicted to Gardenscapes, Homescapes, Cats Are Cute, and The Room: Old Sins. Plenty to keep me busy there.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:39 PM

20,423 posts, read 37,846,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
I stopped traveling via planes (trains have never been a travel method of mine) more than a decade ago.

However, even when I did fly several times a year I did not take books with me. When I was single, on a transatlantic flight I might pick up a cheap paperback book for a one-time read but after age 35 all my flights were with a child along and let's face it: who has TIME to read under those conditions? LOL It was much easier to just watch the in-flight movie.

If I had to travel via plane or train for longer than an hour or so nowadays, I'd take my iPad mini and play games on it. That's the only thing I use it for anyway, LOL. I used to sit in doctors waiting rooms bored to tears (if they didn't have a tv; most do, now, anyhow) because I didn't want to read the "germy" magazines ... so now I just tuck my iPad mini into my purse and play one of the dozen or so games that are on it instead. Right now I happen to be addicted to Gardenscapes, Homescapes, Cats Are Cute, and The Room: Old Sins. Plenty to keep me busy there.

Someone who takes a book or two for the child, as well.

I take a book (usually paperback, but sometimes hardback - whatever I'm reading at the moment) with me literally everywhere just in case I have to wait. As does my husband. Waiting has never bothered me for this reason. I'd as soon leave the house without a book as without my purse or my right arm.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:51 PM

77 posts, read 42,833 times
I still read paper books. I pick them up at the thrift, library and occasionally, the airport. I’ll read paper, or digital…I don’t have a preference, whatever is readily available. I also enjoy listening to books as well. I move around too much to hang on to books though.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:54 PM

8,281 posts, read 11,136,078 times
Yes, all the time. I'm just finishing Seige.

Old 07-15-2019, 01:11 PM

2,638 posts, read 1,550,208 times
One of the greatest pleasures of my retirement is that I can waste an entire afternoon rummaging through a used book store and not feel like Im wasting productive time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement