U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2019, 04:10 AM

13,826 posts, read 18,819,895 times

Advertisements

yes I still read paper books hopeless bibliophile here as well … something about the smell of a paper books plus im always receiving books from authors for review so they get donated unless they are a signed copy which I keep because that is personal .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 05:12 AM

133 posts, read 91,892 times
Love those used paperback books. Not only because they are cheap, but also because I get to imagine who might have read the book before I did, and how the story made an impression on the previous owner. One can get a good idea how many times the previous owner read the book by its worn condition. I love worn, used, paperback books! Or did I already say that? I like factual stuff and history. To me, so much more interesting than most fiction.

Can you just imagine the privilege of working in a BIG library every day? All those stories and experiences by those still here and others who are long gone? Scrumptious!

Old 07-17-2019, 07:18 AM

4,907 posts, read 6,125,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Yes, I read paper books from the library or from our own book shelves. Hopeless bibliophile here!
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
Prefer paper books & magazines.

But will force myself to read on-line articles.

A whole e-book??? Makes my head hurt just thinking about it.
This, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westegg View Post
I'm one of those who likes having a dedicated home library! Mostly discounted. I have around 1,500 books neatly organized, like a real library. Yes, I like books. I do have Kindle editions on some Cloud, but I like the presence of actual books.
Some books I have had since high school. But, truly, I need to get rid of some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Absolutely, no interest in yet another screen.

I particularly like to trawl the stacks of old public libraries in small towns, finding novels published way back in the 30s or 40s. I defy you to find Kindle or equiv. for authors like D.E. Stevenson, Nevil Shute, the Upton Sinclair Lanny Budd series, or similar. Even name authors. Everyone knows about Aldous Huxley and Brave New World, but how many have read one of my favorite Huxley novels, Eyeless in Gaza? Do you REALLY think the arbiters who decide what'll be digitized will do that one? Or Sylvie and Bruno, with the wonderful original illustrations?
This is me. I fell in love with Steinbeck in HS and still am. So many of the old authors were such craftsmen, I marvel sometimes. Even some of my best read authors of today fall short and I hate that. I want them to be as capable and there are a few, a very few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
DW and I are book lovers. We had entire walls of our house of nothing but books. Loved them; they were like the best of old friends that you shared special moments with. But we downsized when we retired and our collection of 2000 or so books is now about 150 books in three book shelves, mostly classics, some first editions, some leather bound, a few things that will never be in an e-book.

DW now mostly reads e-books. I mostly still read paper books. Old habits die hard for me. I assume when our heirs clean out the house when we die, all those books will go to the dump. I don't care, I still cherish them.
I have some wonderful books that are priceless, to me. My children won't care. I wish they would even try and sell some on Amazon or some such to someone who would maybe treasure something as I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I too have shelves and shelves of books. I like the feel of them in my hands. I have never tried a kindle, maybe one of these days I will, and I'll probably like it too. But I don't think I'll ever give up my hardbacks and paperbacks.
Added bonus to getting older is that I can reread the same books over and over and each time it's like having never read it before, because I no longer remember details like I used to.

Oh, one of the reasons I like physical books is that I keep one at work, one beside my bed, and one in my car, so I always have at least two to three books going at once. Could I do that on an e-reader?
I always have a bag of used books in both our vehicles and sometimes have 3-4 books going at a time. Thank goodness, with current authors I don't have too much trouble figuring out which book I am reading....lol. They aren't too deep....I pretty much will read anything but especially biographies or historical fiction (no bodice rippers...) or mysteries. No Harlequin and no offense, just does not hold my
interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I was a voracious reader from age six,...snip...But in the last couple of years, for reasons I can't explain, I have lost interest in reading books. Fiction just bores me now -- I find I just don't care about the characters or what happens to them. Once in a while I'll read a memoir if it's really well written. Has happened to me in the last few years, it passes.....lol

I haven't stopped reading altogether, however. Every day I read for hours on my computer: several newspapers, plus a variety of blogs and internet forums,..snip....
Mirrors many of my own experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I also lost interest in reading books at one point, and figured out that it's because I'm done with best-sellers. Reading multiple books by the same author often becomes repetitive. .....snip....
I have found this to be true. I do like Sue Grafton (deceased), Lee Childs and some Michael Connelly. Many others, the repetitive nature of the writing annoys me.

Love that there are 5 pages on this subject. Hooray for reading. As someone said, should be a poll.

Old 07-17-2019, 07:36 AM

7,049 posts, read 7,004,950 times
Iím trying to read the next choice for my bookclub. Itís interesting but the library book is 500 pages and so heavy to hold that I find myself not wanting to pick it up. May need to order the paperback.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:08 AM

513 posts, read 356,871 times
Millennial here. I always have about 2-3 books in progress. Tried a kindle and an Ipad but got rid of both. Nothing beats paging through a real book.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:07 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,752,310 times
Books, always books. In my hand, every day and love it.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:54 AM

15,970 posts, read 6,288,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Yes. I read actual paper books. Never used any electronics to read. I read during the day when I have time but night time is my time to take my book and lay down. It's my sleep aid. I buy books from Amazon, Thrift Books and when necessary visit my local library. I love paper books, hard cover or paperbacks.
I am reading one electronic book, which went out of print more than a century ago, but remains available digitally.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:11 AM

11,941 posts, read 20,414,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPeople View Post
Endless TV commercials. Have you been injured in a car crash? Rows of paper law books on the shelves in the background. Not a lawyer, but I suspect they use computers these days and those paper books are just a prop.
You would be surprised. Thereís a massive amount of data that has yet to be digitized. And the amount of digitized data thatís ďgarbage in, garbage outĒ.

Real hard research may start on the computer, but it often ends in a library or research room.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:22 AM

2,130 posts, read 732,612 times
I'm 66 and don't own an e-reader although I'm very tech-friendly and run my lawn sprinkling system and my thermostat from my phone!

I love books. I spent 8 years studying for actuarial exams and spent much of my study time holed up in libraries, where it was TORTURE to walk past those intriguing titles and go back to my text on Business Law, Insurance Coverages, or whatever I was studying. I took my last exam in 1983 and I still remember that feeling. Now I'm retired and I love going to the library and picking out books. My granddaughters know that when I come to visit I'll bring 5 or 6 to read to them, too.

I could be tempted to buy an e-reader- I travel a lot and it would cut down on the weight of my bags- but it's not happening now. My younger granddaughter (2 1/2 years old) shows such an affinity for screens of any kind that we're trying hard to balance the need for her to develop those skills and the need for her to learn and do other things. She once saw my GPS on a table and poked at it to see if it would do anything interesting! I don't want to expose her to e-reading yet.

Old 07-17-2019, 12:59 PM

12,255 posts, read 18,022,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPeople View Post
Walking through Costco, there is a book section, some people browsing. Are they just bored waiting for someone or do people still read books today? I loved paper books as a kid, audio books later, now computer simulations of books. Books take up space so download it to the computer and delete when bored or done. I read an actual paper library book maybe once a year, here we have virtual rentals that expire like paper books so why drive a car for miles? Back and forth, waste of time.
Thats all I read. Im have my fave in electronics all day long as it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement