U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 01:02 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,715,391 times

Advertisements

I use my Kindle for books I'm going to read once. I buy paper books for those I reread multiple times, and for reference books I use frequently. In some cases, I have multiple editions of the same book. Books have a physical presence, and for some purposes (marking up and annotating, easily flipping back and forth between sections, high quality imagery) paper books are superior. And if I am reading commentary on a book, it's easier to have two or three physical volumes open at the same time than to go back and forth between different e-books. Plus, there is the sheer joy of holding an old book, feeling its cover and pages, the smell of the leather and paper and glue.

“We have books whose papers are matted of plants from which spring curious alkaloids, so that the reader, in turning their pages, is taken unaware by bizarre fantasies and chimeric dreams. Books whose pages are not paper at all, but delicate wafers of white jade, ivory, and shell; books too who leaves are the desiccated leaves of unknown plants. Books we have also that are not books at all to the eye: scrolls and tablets and recordings on a hundred different substances. There is a cube of crystal here—though I can no longer tell you where—no larger than the ball of your thumb that contains more books than the library itself does. Though a harlot might dangle it from one ear for an ornament, there are not volumes enough in the world to counterweight the other.”

― Gene Wolfe, The Shadow of the Torturer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 01:09 PM

290 posts, read 141,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Yes. Right now I'm reading The Obesity Code. Hard to curl up with a tablet.
I curl up with an tablet many a night in bed. By the end of the day my eyes bother me and I love being able to adjust the print. When I doze off I don't lose my page like I do with my books. I really enjoy both ways of reading.

Old 07-17-2019, 01:23 PM

13,093 posts, read 13,702,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPeople View Post
Walking through Costco, there is a book section, some people browsing. Are they just bored waiting for someone or do people still read books today? I loved paper books as a kid, audio books later, now computer simulations of books. Books take up space so download it to the computer and delete when bored or done. I read an actual paper library book maybe once a year, here we have virtual rentals that expire like paper books so why drive a car for miles? Back and forth, waste of time.

I ONLY read actual real books on paper.
I guess that makes me old school.
I read about 22 books per month, all of them actual real books with paper pages.
About half of what I read are books that I own, and about half are library books.

I am on a computer all day at work and don't like to be on it at home. It is not healthy to be plugged into electronics so much.

Old 07-17-2019, 01:44 PM

1,803 posts, read 3,839,737 times
Both DH and I read actual books. I have online books from my Prime account (1 free/month) and have never read one of them. DH reads anywhere from 5-10 books per week. His favorite activity, after reading, is to go to book sales and to the library. He stocks up on books and then reads them in order. He has probably over 2000 books stored upstairs that he got from book sales and says his goal is to live long enough to read them all but he keeps adding to them. I do the same thing with reading in order with certain authors. And seeing that we get them all from book sales and thrift stores it sometimes takes a long time, but worth it. DH has certain authors that he keeps and I collect Stephen King novels and re-read them. I always read when going to bed, but it is a known that using electronic devices can interrupt sleep patterns and I really don't need that either.

Daughter wanted to buy DH a Kindle and he adamantly refuses.

Old 07-17-2019, 02:07 PM

28,276 posts, read 39,940,610 times
Books.

When my mother passed we gave approximately 3,000 books to Planned Parenthood. We kept some.

When we moved the first time we gave approximately 1,000 books to Planned Parenthood.

When we moved the second time we gave approximately 1,500 books to Planned Parenthood.

We still struggle to find room for what we have.

Kindles are great, too. Especially when we travel.

Old 07-17-2019, 03:55 PM

220 posts, read 32,817 times
I've resisted going E-books, but with many moves over the last 8 years - I am tired of the $$ of moving books, and the number of boxes it takes to box up the books and the unpacking of books. Both Hard cover and Soft cover. I should have bought a Kindle or something on Amazon Prime days Monday and Tuesday - but was too lazy. I think DH would be so very happy if I went to an e-reader and got rid of most of my books.

Old 07-17-2019, 05:18 PM

6,075 posts, read 9,543,766 times
Slight change of topic - OP, if this bothers you please say so -

How many people here have made a book? As in, constructed it from paper, cardboard, glue, thread . . . ? One of my sisters is an artist and I was able to piggyback on her book-making class. Fascinating!

Old 07-17-2019, 06:02 PM

28,276 posts, read 39,940,610 times
^^ That would be fun!

Old 07-17-2019, 06:08 PM

26,035 posts, read 33,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
I ONLY read actual real books on paper.
I guess that makes me old school.
No, it makes you normal. Just like most everyone else.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:11 PM

887 posts, read 903,570 times
I prefer paper books.

This would have been a great thread to include a poll with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement