U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 07:54 PM

49,807 posts, read 3,634,618 times

Advertisements

I actually think shelve upon shelve of books look dumb. Unless they are reference books I do mot see the point. Speaking as a former book store clerk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 08:27 PM

260 posts, read 100,626 times
I'm one of those who likes having a dedicated home library! Mostly discounted. I have around 1,500 books neatly organized, like a real library. Yes, I like books. I do have Kindle editions on some Cloud, but I like the presence of actual books.

Old 07-13-2019, 08:36 PM

3,520 posts, read 3,256,050 times
I do not like e-books at all and pretty much only read actual hardcopy books. Also, you do not own the e-book. You have a license agreement to view those books, and Amazon can revoke it at any time just like Microsoft did recently where books just disappeared off peoples devices.

Old 07-13-2019, 08:44 PM

7,682 posts, read 4,265,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPeople View Post
Walking through Costco, there is a book section, some people browsing. Are they just bored waiting for someone or do people still read books today? I loved paper books as a kid, audio books later, now computer simulations of books. Books take up space so download it to the computer and delete when bored or done. I read an actual paper library book maybe once a year, here we have virtual rentals that expire like paper books so why drive a car for miles? Back and forth, waste of time.
I don't have much patience for it these days, but yes, I still do, occasionally.

The last book I read was Bob Woodward's latest book.

I just pulled out for reading an old (really old) English lit textbook, to read bits of it. I also pulled from my bookcase The Art of Happiness by the Dalai Lama. And a book of short stories by the woman who wrote Cross Creek (made into a movie with Mary Steenburgen) and The Yearling (a classic).

I also have an old Kindle with a lot of free books in it. But I prefer reading physical books. Still, like you say, it's impractical to have a lot of physical books.

I got rid of a lot of my books, but I still have a lot left.

Old 07-13-2019, 08:49 PM

5,432 posts, read 8,972,256 times
Smile I love books!

I love to read.

I have a Kindle (gift from my daughter) and then the next year (a Kindle Fire).
She loves books also.

I use the Kindle but there is nothing like a book you enjoy; just enjoying it; going back and forth with the pages. On a Kindle, it doesn't feel the same.

I still work so I get tired of looking at the light some days.

I enjoy reading real book pages.

We have a Barnes & Noble close by, 2 stories and it's always full.

Old 07-13-2019, 08:52 PM

81,184 posts, read 74,335,397 times
Definitely! I love books! And all the cities I've lived in have had outstanding bookstores, and still have them. They're gong strong. I don't like to read books through a screen. Screen time late at night can interfere with sleep, making it harder to fall asleep.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:07 PM

24,585 posts, read 15,840,833 times
I prefer softbound books. (Not mass market paperbacks) I read library books a lot. But will buy a book I really want to read. I have bought Kindle books. I just prefer softbound when I buy them.

We have choices. We get to choose.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:25 PM

6,593 posts, read 3,010,737 times
Absolutely, no interest in yet another screen.

I particularly like to trawl the stacks of old public libraries in small towns, finding novels published way back in the 30s or 40s. I defy you to find Kindle or equiv. for authors like D.E. Stevenson, Nevil Shute, the Upton Sinclair Lanny Budd series, or similar. Even name authors. Everyone knows about Aldous Huxley and Brave New World, but how many have read one of my favorite Huxley novels, Eyeless in Gaza? Do you REALLY think the arbiters who decide what'll be digitized will do that one? Or Sylvie and Bruno, with the wonderful original illustrations?

Old 07-13-2019, 11:10 PM

1,692 posts, read 686,438 times
Yes, I still read books, both paperback and hardback. I love to read.

Old 07-13-2019, 11:18 PM

1,269 posts, read 723,317 times
I read 2-4 books a month, practically all from the library. The library is my favorite place to go. It is quiet, no cell phones going off, peaceful. I just finished reading Les Miserables by Victor Hugo, and it was 1,260 pages long. Took me exactly 3 weeks to read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement