U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 06:11 PM

4,775 posts, read 3,206,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Slight change of topic - OP, if this bothers you please say so -

How many people here have made a book? As in, constructed it from paper, cardboard, glue, thread . . . ? One of my sisters is an artist and I was able to piggyback on her book-making class. Fascinating!
I did for an education class in college.

I have written a couple of books. I didn't "publish" them in the typical sense. I took them to a local printing place and only had about 25 copies made. They were mainly gifts for my grandkids-but family members & close friends also received copies. I am working on another book but this one is NOT for the grandkids. Not too sure about having it published or not. As for now, it is a LONG way from that stage since I only started really writing it about a month ago (after it was dormant for the past 24 years or so).

Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 07:09 AM

13,826 posts, read 18,828,204 times
see I don't want to be driving a motor vehicle with ear buds in my ears and not be able to pull over for emergency vehicles . do any of you know how people do that ? Listen to books while driving ?

Old 07-19-2019, 07:26 AM

26,050 posts, read 33,064,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
see I don't want to be driving a motor vehicle with ear buds in my ears and not be able to pull over for emergency vehicles . do any of you know how people do that ? Listen to books while driving ?
LOL! You can plug in to your car stereo - or use bluetooth. You don't use earbuds in the car to listen to music or anything else.

Old 07-19-2019, 07:43 AM

3,994 posts, read 2,049,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I don't have the time to read; I listen to audiobooks which allows me to "read" during my daily walks and while driving around. Why waste time?
"Waste time"? Heck, I consider the time spent with a really good book one of life's great gifts. It's like opening the door to a new world where I can immerse myself in another place or time, "meet" new people, and learn so much. Sometimes I long for a rainy day just so I can curl up with a book and read for hours!

Old 07-19-2019, 07:52 AM

15,983 posts, read 6,296,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I don't have the time to read; I listen to audiobooks which allows me to "read" during my daily walks and while driving around. Why waste time?
Would the anti-cell-phone freaks have a problem with listening to books, albeit through the car's speakers, handsfree?

Old 07-19-2019, 08:31 AM

2,152 posts, read 738,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
LOL! You can plug in to your car stereo - or use bluetooth. You don't use earbuds in the car to listen to music or anything else.
I bought a small Bose speaker which is Bluetooth-enabled. I first used it to listen to podcasts while I was cleaning but now I use it on long road trips, too.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:52 AM

5,284 posts, read 2,365,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Don't you just stick the CD into the CD player and press "play"? How's it different from listening to a news report on the radio while you're driving?

Old 07-19-2019, 11:19 AM

752 posts, read 155,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
"Waste time"? Heck, I consider the time spent with a really good book one of life's great gifts. It's like opening the door to a new world where I can immerse myself in another place or time, "meet" new people, and learn so much. Sometimes I long for a rainy day just so I can curl up with a book and read for hours!
Rainy days and curling up with a good book, a cup of tea and a bag of chocolate kisses.....heaven on earth !

Old 07-19-2019, 12:00 PM

3,494 posts, read 1,548,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
I wouldn't even know how to use Kindle or read a book online. I have always read paper books that I can hold in my hand, turn the pages, etc. The smell of a book also can't be replicated. I can't imagine ever reading a book online, that would ruin the pleasure of reading for me.
Don't knock till you try it. It's great to be able to read in bed without a light on. Not bothering your partner. It puts me to sleep after an hour or so.

I think it enhances the experience of reading, not lessens it. As our eyes get worse, we can enlarge the type too...plus the well-lit background, so not trying to get perfect lighting for the paper.

I wasn't sure I'd like it either, but now without libraries, the Kindle is a necessity and I'm grateful every day!

Old 07-19-2019, 01:42 PM

25,364 posts, read 41,516,192 times
I still read actual paper books...

Many of them are equipment manuals..

I have some novels, probably all of the Clive Cussler paperback books...

Some other older paper books that have special meanings for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement