U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 10:21 PM

39,578 posts, read 47,812,904 times

Advertisements

In our circle of friends we all read real books. We also swap books and our HOA association has a book drop for anyone to pick up and read or to donate.
E-books and computers are not good for eye strain over a period of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 10:22 PM

4,181 posts, read 2,599,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I kept shelves and shelves full of books for 40+ years. I hated having to keep them dusted all the time, it was quite a chore. Switched to a Kindle and never looked back.
DW and I are book lovers. We had entire walls of our house of nothing but books. Loved them; they were like the best of old friends that you shared special moments with. But we downsized when we retired and our collection of 2000 or so books is now about 150 books in three book shelves, mostly classics, some first editions, some leather bound, a few things that will never be in an e-book.

DW now mostly reads e-books. I mostly still read paper books. Old habits die hard for me. I assume when our heirs clean out the house when we die, all those books will go to the dump. I don't care, I still cherish them.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:36 PM

7,291 posts, read 4,166,644 times
Yup. The battery in my Kindle died. Never had that problem with a real book.

Old 07-14-2019, 12:20 AM

6,610 posts, read 3,687,027 times
I do audiobooks but still read "real" books but it takes me a long time due to distractions. I can work outside or take walks with an audiobook going.

Old 07-14-2019, 12:32 AM

5,621 posts, read 8,562,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I picked up an extra $30 kindle on prime day or black Friday to solve this problem.

Kindle unlimited, and I read many E books.
It's nice to be able to get a new book at 2Am from my lazy boy.

I also pick up many $1 or less books from thrift stores and enjoy paper too.

Old 07-14-2019, 12:32 AM

18,134 posts, read 23,028,696 times
I won't read e-books. I don't like looking at a computer screen, bothers my eyes. And I like the feeling of being unplugged from electronics when I read. Takes me away. Like being on a deserted island for awhile. Ahhhhhhhh.

I'm currently reading the last Outlander series book, Written in my Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon, and I also have a smaller mystery going, forgetting the author's name. The huge Gabaldon book is for my afternoon picnic with my dog at our secret park, the smaller one is for taking with me on the bus or doctor's appointments.

Since I broke my ankle and no longer have a vehicle, it's too hard to get to the library, so I have been buying a few books online. Plus, depending on the size of the book - like Gabaldon's 1,000+ pagers, I can't read them fast enough before the library says I can't renew anymore, and then I end up with fines anyway.

Our senior building has a bunch of books in the community room and people add new ones all the time, so I grab some from there for free, too.

If I buy them and don't get food all over them LOL, then I sometimes sell them on Amazon and get a little of my money back, if it's worth the bother. Otherwise, I'll give them away after I read them. I only have a few books I bought and keep, because I'll read them again after a few years. But, I had to downsize when moving into affordable housing, so no longer have a huge library of books.

Old 07-14-2019, 03:00 AM

2,441 posts, read 1,677,570 times
I’ve always been an avid reader. I go to the library with the grandkids and pick up books I have requested from the inter library system. I download books on my iPad from the library and rarely Amazon if I can’t wait. I’ve also picked up donated books from the little library kiosk at the playground or at the beach ferry landing bookshelf to read.

I no longer buy any physical books unless they are gifts for young children. I do prefer to read a paper book at night though when I fall asleep and the book inevitably falls to the floor. I sometimes listen to audiobooks on my iPad at night in bed when DH is traveling, more as a sleep aid though. So many books, never enough time.

Last edited by jean_ji; 07-14-2019 at 03:21 AM..

Old 07-14-2019, 03:28 AM

40 posts, read 4,640 times
I resisted getting a Kindle for several years, but got one after I decided that carrying a 1,000 page book in my backpack around airports and on planes was just too much.

We travel a LOT and I can carry unlimited books in my Kindle which takes up little room and weighs almost nothing. I also found that being able to choose the font size I like, have a lighted background means I can read on a plane for hours and hours. Paper books always made my eyes too tired on a flight. I also love the lack of glare on the screen when reading out in the sunshine.

I will never get rid of my 2 bookshelves full of books that sits in my living room. Books with photos, reference books, etc obviously can't be on a Kindle.

Old 07-14-2019, 04:03 AM

5,968 posts, read 2,907,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
The 200 books I wanted to carry with me in my backpack to have while traveling long-term didn't fit. Never had that problem with Kindle.

Picking out a new book to borrow from my local library and started to read it all without needing to physically enter the library didn't work with a real book. Never had that problem with a Kindle.

Wasn't able to easily read in the dark with a real book. Never had that problem with a Kindle Paperwhite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I won't read e-books. I don't like looking at a computer screen, bothers my eyes.
You should borrow someone's e-reader, you'll discover it's nothing like a computer screen.

Old 07-14-2019, 04:26 AM

5,968 posts, read 2,907,657 times
Another benefit of eBooks = they work great as ambient light in power outages. Crank the screen up to full bright and lay it on it's back it works almost as well as a candle.

We travel in developing countries sometimes where power outrages are frequent, have used our two Kindles to keep things visible quite a few times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement