U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 05:10 AM

32,119 posts, read 33,030,273 times

Advertisements

Occasionally I read paper/hard copy books depending on availability and what is cheaper (when not borrowing from the library). From the library I only take out e-books these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 05:16 AM

40 posts, read 4,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Yup. The battery in my Kindle died. Never had that problem with a real book.
The battery in my Kindle lasts a long time. I probably plug it on for a couple of hours every 2 weeks.

Old 07-14-2019, 05:20 AM

1,076 posts, read 813,859 times
I love books --- hard back books but I read paperbacks as well. I always wanted to have a room turned into a library and filled with books of all types but that wasn't meant to be.

I have zero desire to read "E" -anything that's telling a story.

I still carry something to read to the doctor's office and shut my phone off while there. I refuse to succumb to technology addiction whenever possible.

Old 07-14-2019, 05:21 AM

We spend our winters in SE Asia and I like to read while there. Not always sure which books I'll want to read but with my Kindle I have a choice of many. My husband reads his newspaper on his Kindle every morning. He can even fit his in the pocket of his cargo trousers and walk down to the beach to read it.

Old 07-14-2019, 05:35 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 26 days ago)

10,511 posts, read 14,350,116 times
I too have shelves and shelves of books. I like the feel of them in my hands. I have never tried a kindle, maybe one of these days I will, and I'll probably like it too. But I don't think I'll ever give up my hardbacks and paperbacks.
Added bonus to getting older is that I can reread the same books over and over and each time it's like having never read it before, because I no longer remember details like I used to.

Oh, one of the reasons I like physical books is that I keep one at work, one beside my bed, and one in my car, so I always have at least two to three books going at once. Could I do that on an e-reader?

Old 07-14-2019, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I too have shelves and shelves of books. I like the feel of them in my hands. I have never tried a kindle, maybe one of these days I will, and I'll probably like it too. But I don't think I'll ever give up my hardbacks and paperbacks.
Added bonus to getting older is that I can reread the same books over and over and each time it's like having never read it before, because I no longer remember details like I used to.

Oh, one of the reasons I like physical books is that I keep one at work, one beside my bed, and one in my car, so I always have at least two to three books going at once. Could I do that on an e-reader?
Yes, you can have any number of books open on a Kindle. I usually have at least 2 open. Your place in each book is always saved.

Also if there's a word you don't know the definition of, you simply press on it and the definition comes up. Can you do that in a paper book? Can you make the font size bigger?

Old 07-14-2019, 05:49 AM

56,211 posts, read 54,678,928 times
I read paper books. I just still have so many I haven't read yet.

Old 07-14-2019, 06:09 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 26 days ago)

10,511 posts, read 14,350,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandGranny View Post
Yes, you can have any number of books open on a Kindle. I usually have at least 2 open. Your place in each book is always saved.

Also if there's a word you don't know the definition of, you simply press on it and the definition comes up. Can you do that in a paper book? Can you make the font size bigger?
I like the idea of making the font size bigger, but I don't care about definitions as that's rarely a problem. Now if you tell me they can interpret some of the unknown (to me) British phrases I come across when I read English authors, I'd be all over that.

Old 07-14-2019, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I like the idea of making the font size bigger, but I don't care about definitions as that's rarely a problem. Now if you tell me they can interpret some of the unknown (to me) British phrases I come across when I read English authors, I'd be all over that.
No problem. I'm a yankee in Scotland and know 99% of them. Many English phrases are used all over Britain, but most Scottish ones are used only in Scotland.

Old 07-14-2019, 06:22 AM

3,050 posts, read 2,026,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPeople View Post
Walking through Costco, there is a book section, some people browsing. Are they just bored waiting for someone or do people still read books today? I loved paper books as a kid, audio books later, now computer simulations of books. Books take up space so download it to the computer and delete when bored or done. I read an actual paper library book maybe once a year, here we have virtual rentals that expire like paper books so why drive a car for miles? Back and forth, waste of time.
Of course I read real books. Because I loved them then and I love them now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement