U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 12:02 PM

5,432 posts, read 8,972,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
Another dinosaur here. Unpacked umpteen boxes of books yesterday (recently moved here) and shelved them neatly in the glass fronted cabinets in the new house....another reason I love this old house! I am always reading and have another stack by my bed. I usually read in bed at night, so not a good idea to be screen reading. I still prefer and subscribe to a paper version of the newspaper.....that's how old fashioned I am! Love my Chromebook, but for me, books have to be "real". No e-books for me.
We still get the paper. I subscribe to 3 on-line but it's just easier sometimes to read the print version.
My husband delivered the paper as an adult (2nd job) and feels very loyal but I agree.

I also love a library of books.

My kids are both millennials and they have the Kindles and the Nooks but they also read real books when they feel like it.

I loved reading to my kids - did that until about 8th grade - then so happy when I saw my daughter really start reading in HS. She's kept it up also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 12:03 PM

22 posts, read 4,873 times
I'm not retired. I'm only 35 but I wanted to reply. Yes i think people still read actual books. I do. I think smartphones and reading technology started the decline of books

Old 07-14-2019, 12:07 PM

5,050 posts, read 3,440,172 times
I start my day off reading the Washington Post on my Amazon Tablet. Then I read our local newspaper (the REAL paper that is delivered to the house everyday). This summer I decided to put my own book writing on hold and have been doing more reading. In the last month or so, I have read 3 books and today I started another one-yes, REAL books. In the afternoon, I have been reading my old journal that I wrote back in the 1990s that I just transferred from those old 5 1/4 floppy disks. Yeah, this summer I am doing A LOT of reading. Maybe in the fall I will start writing again.

Cat

Old 07-14-2019, 12:12 PM

1,466 posts, read 2,508,171 times
I buy paper books when it's a book I know I will keep. I check out library books when it's a book I know I will read once and that's it. I download on my nook books that I'll read while waiting for appointments, etc (and I have lots of gift cards for B&N).

Old 07-14-2019, 12:22 PM

32 posts, read 12,353 times
I have Kindle but prefer to read paper books. If my library doesn't have what I want, I can usually get it through Interlibrary loan.

Old 07-14-2019, 12:25 PM

8,669 posts, read 9,078,644 times
The Amazon Book Store in my area is always crowded.

Old 07-14-2019, 12:32 PM

253 posts, read 72,712 times
I prefer paper instead of pixels and to save money I buy my books at the used book store. I enjoy reading the American classics. Steinbeck, Hemingway

Old 07-14-2019, 12:39 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,256,551 times
Abe Books is a great place to order used books online.

Old 07-14-2019, 01:08 PM

7,455 posts, read 4,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
I picked up an extra $30 kindle on prime day or black Friday to solve this problem.

Kindle unlimited, and I read many E books.
It's nice to be able to get a new book at 2Am from my lazy boy.

I also pick up many $1 or less books from thrift stores and enjoy paper too.
I have the Kindle app on my iPad, so I've never bothered to replace the battery or the whole unit.

Old 07-14-2019, 01:17 PM

6,239 posts, read 3,346,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPeople View Post
Walking through Costco, there is a book section, some people browsing. Are they just bored waiting for someone or do people still read books today? I loved paper books as a kid, audio books later, now computer simulations of books. Books take up space so download it to the computer and delete when bored or done. I read an actual paper library book maybe once a year, here we have virtual rentals that expire like paper books so why drive a car for miles? Back and forth, waste of time.
Almost every day!

Libraries and real book stores have much better selections than department stores do.

I have listened to a few books on CD and dislike the experience. And I don’t want to power up a device when opening a paper book works just as well.

We rarely make a dedicated drive to just to get books or groceries or whatever. We almost always combine such trips. Whatever extra gas is involved in going to the library is at least partly made up for by not powering a device to read a book. The sunlight is free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement