U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2019, 01:19 PM

11,856 posts, read 9,010,493 times

Advertisements

Yep. Should have been a poll!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 01:19 PM

13,515 posts, read 14,790,649 times
Every day, and I read several non-fiction books on related topics at the same time. E-books are far too clunky if you take notes, underline, etc. as I do and then want to compare stuff...far faster using paper books.

My machine is somewhere on my bookshelves, I should give it to a charity shop.

Old 07-14-2019, 01:23 PM

115 posts, read 34,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSaterfield55 View Post
I'm not retired. I'm only 35 but I wanted to reply. Yes i think people still read actual books. I do. I think smartphones and reading technology started the decline of books
I read even more books since I got a Kindle.

Old 07-14-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deoge View Post
I prefer paper instead of pixels and to save money I buy my books at the used book store. I enjoy reading the American classics. Steinbeck, Hemingway
Almost all of the classics are FREE on Kindle.

Old 07-14-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Almost every day!

Libraries and real book stores have much better selections than department stores do.

I have listened to a few books on CD and dislike the experience. And I don’t want to power up a device when opening a paper book works just as well.

We rarely make a dedicated drive to just to get books or groceries or whatever. We almost always combine such trips. Whatever extra gas is involved in going to the library is at least partly made up for by not powering a device to read a book. The sunlight is free.
Exactly how much electricity do you think it takes to charge a Kindle for a few hours a month?

Old 07-14-2019, 01:44 PM

6,788 posts, read 3,285,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deoge View Post
I prefer paper instead of pixels and to save money I buy my books at the used book store. I enjoy reading the American classics. Steinbeck, Hemingway
As someone mentioned, those are free on Kindle. I've recently reread Moby Dick and Crime and Punishment, both available for free. My local library also has tens of thousands of ebooks available for checkout, haven't paid money for a book in ages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Whatever extra gas is involved in going to the library is at least partly made up for by not powering a device to read a book. The sunlight is free.
It would be interesting to calculate the energy used to power up a Kindle. It's probably a lot less than you think though, Kindles were always energy efficient and have gotten better with each generation to where (depending on reading habits) you plug it in once a month. I'd be surprised if "powering up" to read a book was more than a few pennies.

Old 07-14-2019, 02:15 PM

20,643 posts, read 38,691,432 times
I vastly prefer paper books and read a LOT of them. (We also own a LOT of them.) I've tried reading an e-book and not only is the physical experience not the same, it's not as easy for me to find something I want to go back and re-read because I realize I didn't quite get it the first time.

Old 07-14-2019, 02:39 PM

621 posts, read 686,005 times
I've had 2 Kindles and, at first, I was very excited by the prospect of downloading whatever my heart desired off of Amazon and easily transporting my current read wherever I went. Eventually, my love affair died down and now I only use it for travel. Like others have said, I just prefer the experience of the printed word for leisure reading. I'm perfectly fine reading informational articles online but, for fiction (or biographies), my eyes and my brain relax differently into a paper page.

We have the most excellent free bookmobile in our county. Whenever they park inside our farmer's market I head on over to pick out a couple of new books. The selection is small but phenomenal, I frequently score litrary prize winners, as well as obscure gems. Whenever I finish my books, I donate them back to the drop-off center so it's kind of like a library - one in, one out with the option to own if it's something I truly can't part with.

Old 07-14-2019, 02:46 PM

6,239 posts, read 3,346,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandGranny View Post
Exactly how much electricity do you think it takes to charge a Kindle for a few hours a month?
Exactly how much gas do you think it takes to turn down a side street to the library while in town for other errands?

Old 07-14-2019, 02:48 PM

6,239 posts, read 3,346,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
As someone mentioned, those are free on Kindle. I've recently reread Moby Dick and Crime and Punishment, both available for free. My local library also has tens of thousands of ebooks available for checkout, haven't paid money for a book in ages.

It would be interesting to calculate the energy used to power up a Kindle. It's probably a lot less than you think though, Kindles were always energy efficient and have gotten better with each generation to where (depending on reading habits) you plug it in once a month. I'd be surprised if "powering up" to read a book was more than a few pennies.
Regardless of dollar cost of powering up, if someone reads many times a day, the irritation factor of powering up has a different kind of cost. Opening a paper book to read costs nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement