U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2019, 01:53 PM

1,688 posts, read 580,080 times

Advertisements

Our regional library system is excellent; there are almost 200 community libraries in our approximately 2500 square mile region and they all participate. So even if one's "home community" library is the tiniest one imaginable, one can go online, search, and request any book, audiobook, DVD, Blu-ray, or other media globally and it will be delivered to any chosen library for pickup. If no library has a given item, I can fill out a request form at my home library and odds are they will buy it, and I'll be first in line for access; I've done that a half dozen times at least. They even have one of the streaming movie services available for watching at home.

Between that and the books/DVDs/blu-rays that I choose to buy for my personal collection, I'm well covered I think. No need for e-media really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 01:56 PM

1,465 posts, read 1,821,792 times
We order our books from our library on line, we’re notified via email when to pick up.

Old 07-14-2019, 02:47 PM

225 posts, read 75,078 times
Some of us still like an actual paper book, magazine or newspaper in our hands. Yes, I know it costs more and we recycle or pass on to someone else.

Old 07-14-2019, 03:21 PM

5,972 posts, read 2,907,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Regardless of dollar cost of powering up, if someone reads many times a day, the irritation factor of powering up has a different kind of cost. Opening a paper book to read costs nothing.
What exactly would the cost be, plugging it in for a couple hours every few weeks? I suspect you've got a really misplaced notion of how much one needs to charge an e-reader.

Old 07-14-2019, 03:27 PM

39,815 posts, read 3,014,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
What exactly would the cost be, plugging it in for a couple hours every few weeks? I suspect you've got a really misplaced notion of how much one needs to charge an e-reader.

I use my kindle at least 5 hours a day, I have to charge it about once a week. I can also charge it in the car, it has the same charger as my cell phone. If we are going to get into pennies, how about the shoe leather on the walk to the bookstore. (j/k)
My library does offer some e books, which I have read, but sometimes I have to order the print version for pick up. I now find books clunky in comparison to my kindle.
But to each, their own.

Old 07-14-2019, 03:34 PM

5,431 posts, read 3,459,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLfan1977 View Post

Some of us still like an actual paper book, magazine or newspaper in our hands. Yes, I know it costs more and we recycle or pass on to someone else.
It doesn't cost more to use paper books and paper magazines. Most e-books on Kindle (not Kindle Unlimited) cost $9.99 each - some cost more at $12.99. While paper books can be purchased at online used book stores such as https://www.thriftbooks.com for $3.99 or $4.69 - or are free through libraries.

(some e-books are free through public libraries)

(I find Kindle Unlimited items ($9.99 per month) unreadable for the most part and full of low quality self-published books, low quality books in general, books poorly written, simplistic, and lacking substance for the most part)

Paper magazine subscriptions are often VERY inexpensive these days - especially through aggregators like https://www.magazines.com - or if magazines.com is not the inexpensive aggregator for purchase of magazine subscriptions, then there are other aggregators. I have a bunch of paper magazine subscriptions for just $5 per year for each magazine.

I prefer paper books all the time. Except in bed right before sleep, I read several chapters on my e-reader Kindle for 20 minutes or a half hour.

Last edited by matisse12; 07-14-2019 at 04:17 PM..

Old 07-14-2019, 03:43 PM

6,842 posts, read 3,882,320 times
Default ol

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I actually think shelve upon shelve of books look dumb. Unless they are reference books I do mot see the point. Speaking as a former book store clerk.

Me too! I'm 71 and I think they look very old fashioned, cumbersome, and behind the times.

Old 07-14-2019, 03:45 PM

5,431 posts, read 3,459,869 times
Quote:

Regardless of dollar cost of powering up, if someone reads many times a day, the irritation factor of powering up has a different kind of cost. Opening a paper book to read costs nothing.
powering up? There is no powering up nor any waiting with my Kindle for me. Reading is instantaneous.

Are you using Kindle app on your computer or tablet so that you turn on your computer or tablet each time you wish to read.....and it is making you wait?

Because there is no 'powering up' nor any waiting whatsoever to read on a Kindle (for me, at least) - it's a matter of just opening the cover or case and it is instantly on the page in the book one is reading - no waiting - no powering up - it is INSTANTANEOUS reading.

Old 07-14-2019, 03:49 PM

256 posts, read 77,346 times
Yes, I do. I get my books either at a half priced bookstore, the library, or if it's a "keeper", I'll buy it @ Barnes & Noble.

Old 07-14-2019, 03:50 PM

6,842 posts, read 3,882,320 times
Quote:
Exactly how much gas do you think it takes to turn down a side street to the library while in town for other errands?

What about all the electricity (lights, air conditioning) the library uses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement