U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:26 AM

30,146 posts, read 47,370,265 times

Advertisements

We have friend who worked in sales for General Mills
Did very well over the years
Got the WalMart account toward the end of his career which meant a move to Bentonville area
His wife hated that—her daughter was married and she didn’t like being in rural Ak
He hated how his position was overlooked by senior management
They smothered him with attention
And remember this is a guy who was considered so good at his job that he got the top account in GM’s client list
General Mills allows some employees as they near retirement to transition to areas they think they want to retire in
So the company helps assume the costs of moving and the employee can most of the time move to job that is less front line—transition easily to retirement

I thought that was really unusual but they did it for him
After he was in the WalMart job for about 5 yrs he had enough of the overmanagement by his bosses who really were not that good at what they thought they were helping with
He wanted to move back to DFW area
Pulled rank and got a sales manager job that let him work from hom and oversee front line account managers
People were jealous
It was considered a very desirable job and he basically took it away from someone who would have been promoted to a better job vs him moving down to a lesser one
He worked from home for several years—till he was 65 I think and then retired

Very unusual process toward retirement and wonder how long GM will continue to offer it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:42 AM

18,587 posts, read 9,605,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Notified my First and Second Level Managers of my intent to retire in December. HR doesn't want to discuss retirement with employees until 3 months before they leave the company. Being a former manager myself I know the staffing changes necessary to accommodate someone leaving the work group can take longer than 3 months - let alone any required training!

I continue to be contacted by Head-hunters weekly regarding openings in my area of specialization within the local community, but I am tired, worn-out, and don't feel I have enough left to give to a third employer.

Looking forward to some well earned 'me time' and 'couple time' following this second retirement!
That's how I was when I retired 6+ months ago. I could still earn probably about $250K/yr so kind of tempting but I didn't feel I was up for it. My company would still take me back but the longer I'm "out of action," the more I'm forgotten.

Congrats and good luck. I haven't gotten the urge to return.

Old Yesterday, 08:36 AM

37 posts, read 11,941 times
Congratulations!

Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM

8,508 posts, read 12,467,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Notified my First and Second Level Managers of my intent to retire in December. HR doesn't want to discuss retirement with employees until 3 months before they leave the company. Being a former manager myself I know the staffing changes necessary to accommodate someone leaving the work group can take longer than 3 months - let alone any required training!

I continue to be contacted by Head-hunters weekly regarding openings in my area of specialization within the local community, but I am tired, worn-out, and don't feel I have enough left to give to a third employer.

Looking forward to some well earned 'me time' and 'couple time' following this second retirement!
Congrats, but I would have held back letting anyone know about retiring.

I had a client who did let us boss know 6 months prior and the boss fired him. Remember NJ is At Will. I did inform him to file a lawsuit, but don't think he ever did.

When it came time for my retirement, I pretty much told no one and just gave them 2 week notice. The one good thing was when I turned 65 almost 2 months before retiring....Lost my filter. What were they going to do...fire me...Bahahahaha.

Last edited by camaro69; Yesterday at 09:20 AM..

Old Yesterday, 09:29 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,636 posts, read 39,998,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post

I had a client who did let us boss know 6 months prior and the boss fired him. Remember NJ is At Will. I did inform him to file a lawsuit, but don't think he ever did.

When it came time for my retirement, I pretty much told no one and just gave them 2 week notice.
My last OUT was silent. Gave the boss enough heads up to backfill...

I have seen them pull the "You're outta here" card the moment they get wind. Usually comes as an edict from a power hungry manager you don't even know.

Previous OUT... I trained India and Malaysia coverage (They shadowed me for 6 months). I left, and 2 weeks later they left for a competitor and a big raise). This last time I didn't need that hassle.

No one knew, (except boss and replacement), poof, I was GONE.

Not looking back, never have.

I am SO glad to NEVER have another annual 'goal setting drama' followed one yr later by "Company objectives changed..."

My kids learned well... (much faster) ... Annual review= "I guess our LT objectives don't line up, bye..."

What I though was a superb job... 8 yrs was enough for my kid. He has done well elsewhere and knows all about Work-life-balance and LT objectives to grow career and wealth without burning daylight sitting through an 'annual review', with a pointy head boss who is mimicking someone (?) on top.

Good riddance, enjoy your next years!

Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM

9,766 posts, read 7,047,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I am not sure why you are determined to give months and months of advanced notice. That typically will leave the employee in an uncertain, lame duck status. I have never worked for a company that would go out and hire and train a new employee months in advance. That is typically not included in the company's budget. On top of that if there is a critical employee with unique knowledge it is always important to have some backup coverage in case of an accident or medical condition or sudden departure permanent or temporary.
I never worked for a company that was foresighted or concerned enough about the time needed to find and recruit qualified personnel, and the training to ensure a smooth transition either. But in giving the company enough pending retirement notice to do so if it chooses, it cant't be said that the retiree left the company hanging or in a bad way with a short notice.

Circumstances vary, of course.

Old Yesterday, 09:57 AM

4,040 posts, read 1,824,099 times
Quote:
I am not sure why you are determined to give months and months of advanced notice. That typically will leave the employee in an uncertain, lame duck status. I have never worked for a company that would go out and hire and train a new employee months in advance. That is typically not included in the company's budget. On top of that if there is a critical employee with unique knowledge it is always important to have some backup coverage in case of an accident or medical condition or sudden departure permanent or temporary.
Heck, I'm gonna tell 'em the year before I retire.
I want to be a lame duck!!

Quite a few people have done this the last few years.
They retired June 1 after announcing their plans to retire sometime the previous year.
All of these people had 25+ years in. I'm already one of 'em.

Old Yesterday, 11:13 AM

6,305 posts, read 4,746,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Heck, I'm gonna tell 'em the year before I retire.
I want to be a lame duck!!

Quite a few people have done this the last few years.
They retired June 1 after announcing their plans to retire sometime the previous year.
All of these people had 25+ years in. I'm already one of 'em.
Being a lame duck may not be a good thing in many companies. You could be shown the door early if the company gets a replacement or makes other arrangements to handle your work.

If they don't fire you, they may make your life miserable so that you will leave earlier than you intended. Or you could just be left sitting with nothing to do except watch that slow, slow moving clock.

Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM

2,452 posts, read 3,670,532 times
Quote:
Being a lame duck may not be a good thing in many companies. You could be shown the door early if the company gets a replacement or makes other arrangements to handle your work.

If they don't fire you, they may make your life miserable so that you will leave earlier than you intended. Or you could just be left sitting with nothing to do except watch that slow, slow moving clock.

I acknowledge that can happen with some employers. Probably more frequently with resignations than retirements. My personal bad experience with resignations is employees who tendered their resignations to me and then spent the next two weeks bad-mouthing me, the company, and upselling their new employer/job - without ever completing their current tasks or bundling them for easy follow-up by a fellow employee.

There can be excellent rationale for showing an employee the door immediately after receiving their resignation!

I somewhat anticipate receiving a phone call 30 days after retirement asking me to come back as a part-time hourly rate Project Manager for five months duration. For the past few weeks my intended retirement timing looked ideal for me, my work group, and my fellow employees. Today my Department got slammed with four new construction projects that must be fully designed and constructed by May 1st! If this happens it will be a 1099 position receiving double my current hourly rate.

Old Yesterday, 12:58 PM

79,366 posts, read 33,653,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post

When it came time for my retirement, I pretty much told no one and just gave them 2 week notice. The one good thing was when I turned 65 almost 2 months before retiring....Lost my filter. What were they going to do...fire me...Bahahahaha.
I'm thinking getting fired may be the way to go. I think to myself I would still like to work a bit, just not where I do or the hours I work.

I can get fired and get unemployment. I look around at job offerings and see quite a few for delivery drivers. Need a CDL. The unemployment dept will pay for me to get my CDL.

Win. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement