U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Elder Person: Do You Use Cannabis (Marijuana)
Yes - Mainly for medical issues 2 1.60%
Yes - Mainly for relaxation and fun 18 14.40%
Yes - Both for medical issues and fun 24 19.20%
No 81 64.80%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 06:58 AM

18,622 posts, read 9,625,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Just wondering how many elders use cannabis (marijuana).

If you use it, please describe if you use it for medical issues and/or recreation.
I toked when I was a teenager but haven't since and really no desire to do so even though it's perfectly legal where I live (as it should be).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 07:35 AM

3,988 posts, read 1,123,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
We both have serious health issues but no intention of using pott. That stuff makes people go nuts.

You're kidding right?

Straight out of "Reefer Madness".

Old 07-17-2019, 07:37 AM

258 posts, read 96,777 times
If it were legal in my state, I'd smoke it for pain management. None of the drugs I'm on manage the pain as well as MJ did. And I have a lot more side effects to deal with to boot.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:59 AM

7,317 posts, read 15,371,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numsgal View Post
If it were legal in my state, I'd smoke it for pain management. None of the drugs I'm on manage the pain as well as MJ did. And I have a lot more side effects to deal with to boot.
Oregon legalized medical marijuana in 1998, recreational in 2014. I know several people who use medical marijuana for actual medical reasons and the problem with legalizing recreational marijuana was that some of the strains and products developed specifically for medical use were dropped by various growers for the profitable recreational.

Now that the gold rush days are closing in Oregon (where, because of some funky rules regarding permitting of crops, there is a massive oversupply), some of the growers are turning back to specialized medical production again. Smoking is the least popular of the medical uses. Although I will say that I've read and heard a lot of BS about medical marijuana and CBD, as far as "curing" certain diseases and conditions. The best documented use is in reducing seizures, particularly in children. Many of the people I know who use the products are older adults with various autoimmune problems and it helps control symptoms and pain - or so they tell me - but it doesn't cure the disease.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 07-17-2019, 09:04 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,348,147 times
F 57. I use edibles and cbd drops for severe arthritic joints. No blood pressure or suger problems. Cholesterol a just barely on high side.

I use when I know I'll be staying in. Beats all the other drugs prescribed.

When all the medical profession can offer is high priced, questionable pharmaceutical drugs with side effects that might or might not have worse consequences I find an alternative solution.

Since taking cbd I've been riding my bicycle more. I also sleep better.

Some of the comments on this thread show the sheer ignorance and closed mindness of decades long media propaganda to the public.

The people our city, state and local governments have made billions in profits. Of course so has prisons, food companies, laundry companies. The list goes on.

Have any of the naysayers done any serious reading on the scientific and medical studies that are available?

Old 07-17-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Oregon legalized medical marijuana in 1998, recreational in 2014. I know several people who use medical marijuana for actual medical reasons and the problem with legalizing recreational marijuana was that some of the strains and products developed specifically for medical use were dropped by various growers for the profitable recreational.

Now that the gold rush days are closing in Oregon (where, because of some funky rules regarding permitting of crops, there is a massive oversupply), some of the growers are turning back to specialized medical production again. Smoking is the least popular of the medical uses. Although I will say that I've read and heard a lot of BS about medical marijuana and CBD, as far as "curing" certain diseases and conditions. The best documented use is in reducing seizures, particularly in children. Many of the people I know who use the products are older adults with various autoimmune problems and it helps control symptoms and pain - or so they tell me - but it doesn't cure the disease.
Does symptom relief from suffering from chronic pain compute in the equation?

Old 07-17-2019, 09:31 AM

4,862 posts, read 1,860,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shh1313 View Post
F 57. I use edibles and cbd drops for severe arthritic joints. No blood pressure or suger problems. Cholesterol a just barely on high side.

I use when I know I'll be staying in. Beats all the other drugs prescribed.

When all the medical profession can offer is high priced, questionable pharmaceutical drugs with side effects that might or might not have worse consequences I find an alternative solution.

Since taking cbd I've been riding my bicycle more. I also sleep better.

Some of the comments on this thread show the sheer ignorance and closed mindness of decades long media propaganda to the public.

The people our city, state and local governments have made billions in profits. Of course so has prisons, food companies, laundry companies. The list goes on.

Have any of the naysayers done any serious reading on the scientific and medical studies that are available?
It's funny that in the OP I specifically asked people to respond "if you use it" - then the naysayers jumped onboard to claim they had never and would never use it . . . Kind of a waste of keystrokes - I agree that most of these people have not looked into any research - are just going on some antiquated ideas and propaganda they have ingested over the years.

It is powerful plant medicine, and has so many benefits - good for anxiety and depression, pain, and a whole plethora of other ailments.

It no longer has to be smoked, so the lungs can be protected with edible use - edibles can be microdosed to get great effect at small dosage.

Naysayers: Give it a try, THEN report back - otherwise keep your ignorance to yourselves.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Just wondering how many elders use cannabis (marijuana).

If you use it, please describe if you use it for medical issues and/or recreation.
I can find 1 study.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29579828

Short read, can't quote copyrighted. See link

Old 07-17-2019, 09:36 AM

4,862 posts, read 1,860,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shh1313 View Post
I can find 1 study.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29579828

Short read, can't quote copyrighted. See link
The subject number is too small for the results to be significant.

If people are interested in the subject, there are some books, journal articles, and a whole lot of discussion on YouTube.

It's a very complicated subject - but if you have anxiety, depression, or pain, it could not hurt to try cannabis.

Unfortunately, most doctors are also uneducated and have evidently been pressured NOT to discuss marijuana with their patients - probably some big Pharma influence - though big Pharma is and will get into it.

Talk about retirement and stocks - this is something to really research.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:16 AM

95 posts, read 23,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Your attitude says so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or