U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Elder Person: Do You Use Cannabis (Marijuana)
Yes - Mainly for medical issues 2 1.60%
Yes - Mainly for relaxation and fun 18 14.40%
Yes - Both for medical issues and fun 24 19.20%
No 81 64.80%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 03:35 AM

16,427 posts, read 5,364,850 times

Advertisements

In the old, illegal days I had been a casual weekend toker but was never a big fan. For one thing it was illegal and hard to get. For another thing it made me feel paranoid and anxious even after just one or two tokes. That wasn't much fun. I had given it up for years and didn't miss it. But after California legalized medical MJ, I thought perhaps I'd try it again to see if it would help with my insomnia.

Legal cannabis opened a whole new world to me. I can now buy products that are specifically tailored to my needs and have been tested for strength and purity. I exclusively use indica strains, which are good for relaxation and don't cause paranoia as the more energizing sativa strains can do. I don't even have to smoke weed any more (which I'd prefer not to do as it's harsh on the throat. Instead I use edibles, gummies, vape pens mints or syrups.

When used responsibly and in moderation, cannabis has real health benefits and is fun to use as well. For those who are against the idea of getting high, there are CBD tinctures that give you the relaxation and health benefits of the plant without the buzz. But I'm with Larry Caldwell upthread. If you're retired, you might as well enjoy yourself, and I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 09:53 AM

3,166 posts, read 6,951,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post

My observations is that friends who use "medical" marijuana would not be using it if it didn't also give them a buzz.
But what's wrong with that?

I live in California and Nevada, where marijuana is legal. I've been using edibles since 2014 and love them. It's considered medical cannabis, but it gives an amazing feeling of relaxation. Eating cannabis is nothing like smoking it. The last 2 years of my job I used the edibles after lunch and nobody was the wiser (neither my students or my colleagues). It's subtle but extremely effective.

And when I've had a strained calf, nausea or a toothache, the cannabis is much more effective in dulling pain than aspirin or pain relievers. I cannot recommend it enough. For those of you "bored" in retirement, why not try edibles? It will open up a pleasurable and whole new world for you. Honest!

Old 07-18-2019, 10:02 AM

3,166 posts, read 6,951,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
but 4 respondents who use it for "fun and medical issues". Fun seems to be a key factor, which is my point.
Isn't "fun" supposed to be one of the main goals in life, particularly in retirement? I'm amazed to read so many judgmental opinions on marijuana, mostly from people who haven't smoked it since the 1970's. Cannabis is so different now from those days and the effects it gives a person. Some people are acting like it's something dangerous or radical. I guess Nancy Reagan's "just say no!" propaganda campaign was more effective than I originally thought.

Most seniors I know who use it do not smoke it (nor do I). They eat it, use tinctures (drops you put under your tongue) or drink it. You can dose in public and nobody's the wiser. It doesn't make you giggle, act the fool or have the munchies. It just puts you into a lovely state of calm and relaxation. That's all.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:11 AM

2,608 posts, read 968,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
I never used it, and when I did.......are you high now. LOL
That was a partial quote from Bill Clinton saying he didn't inhale mj back when he smoked it.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I gave it up in '79 when I started working in criminal justice. I couldn't see how I could justify doing both while people were serving time for it. I never had all that much enthusiasm for it but it was a social thing and I never liked the super-charged stuff. Now, 40 years later, most of my friends (70 somethings) are into it. Some are just using it for (legal) meds while others are recreational users. It isn't fully "legal" yet but there isn't much enforcement going on. I'm not really into it now but will not turn it down if offered. Some friends advocate CBD oil for everything from hiccups to hair loss.

"Democratic Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham signed legislation into law decriminalizing the possession of personal use amounts of cannabis. The law took effect on July 1, 2019."

https://norml.org/laws/item/new-mexico-penalties-2

---------------------------------------------

Old 07-18-2019, 11:29 AM

[quote=mike1003;55690014]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Just wondering how many elders use cannabis (marijuana).

I thought that the Mormon church forbids mj???

Lol, it took me a little while but I finally got it haha.

On the serious tip Utah has medical marijuana laws enacted.

https://norml.org/laws/item/utah-penalties-2

---------------------------------

Old 07-18-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
We both have serious health issues but no intention of using pott. That stuff makes people go nuts.
No it doesn't, lol. Those people were already nuts, or criminally inclined long before they ever smoked any weed.

Now the synthetic pot called "Spice" is another matter entirely. It is very dangerous. And some people used to lace weed with "Angel dust" in the past which is also very bad news. Plain mj is not a problem.

Old 07-18-2019, 12:03 PM

4,862 posts, read 1,856,441 times
[quote=mlulu23;55703259]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

Lol, it took me a little while but I finally got it haha.

On the serious tip Utah has medical marijuana laws enacted.

https://norml.org/laws/item/utah-penalties-2

---------------------------------
I don't know why you quoted me, and then made it look like I said anything about Mormons. I did not make that statement about Mormons. Please edit your post to credit the person who actually said that.

You actually mashed up two quotes and attributed both to me - so that took some doing.

Old 07-18-2019, 12:32 PM

Here is a mj positive 2018 article from the Harvard Medical School on medical MJ. The comments are also interesting.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...-2018011513085

------------------------------------------

Old 07-18-2019, 12:40 PM

4,767 posts, read 3,202,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
That was a partial quote from Bill Clinton saying he didn't inhale mj back when he smoked it.
I like Obama's quote: "I inhaled frequently...that was the point."

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or