U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 10:37 AM

9,596 posts, read 10,952,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
My friends, Susan, Larry, Joe and Harry died recently and they all looked so healthy!

Isn't that what undertakers are for?
Do you remember "Digger O'Dell?"

"You're looking fine, Riley. Very natural." Sadly, the undertaker quoted below had no sense of humor.

In 1948, A Johnson City Local Funeral Director Took Direct Aim at "The Life of Riley" | Bob Cox's Yesteryear
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 10:47 AM

4,492 posts, read 4,754,903 times
These kind of statements, like the OP, remind me of Jim Fix.

Old 07-20-2019, 11:08 AM

6,654 posts, read 3,769,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Well whatever the statistics say, I like my meat too much to give it up, so hopefully my good genes and with a lot of luck, I'll live to a decent age enjoying a good grilled steak or burger now and then.

To add to this, I think it would be easier to cut out meat if a person is a vegetable and fruit lover, which I am not. I eat them mostly because they are good for me. Only certain vegetable dishes have close to the same appeal as a steak would.
I think that's the reason there is pushback on forums, when someone mentions vegetarianism or the like. They like eating meat and feel attacked for it.

I don't think anyone is saying that. It's just that facts are facts, and vegetarians are certainly more often attacked for not eating meat than meat eaters are for not being vegetarians.

To each his own. We all pick and choose our lifestyles. If someone knows the risks and decides he wants to eat beef, anyway (or smoke, or eat a high cholesterol diet, or whatever), that's his decision. For some people, they'd rather live 75 years the way they want, than 85 without eating meat or smoking or eating a lot of salt. It's their bodies.

I just would like to drop dead one day or die in my sleep, rather than get cancer (beef is a known carcinogen linked to cancer). So that's more my focus. I don't think I have enough retirement funds to live to 100, anyway.

Old 07-20-2019, 11:16 AM

13,323 posts, read 6,375,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Well whatever the statistics say, I like my meat too much to give it up, so hopefully my good genes and with a lot of luck, I'll live to a decent age enjoying a good grilled steak or burger now and then.

To add to this, I think it would be easier to cut out meat if a person is a vegetable and fruit lover, which I am not. I eat them mostly because they are good for me. Only certain vegetable dishes have close to the same appeal as a steak would.
I like my fish and lobster too much. I rarely eat steak. I also like my fruit too much, yes, there’s lot of sugar there too. I eat vegetables because I grow them. Technically free.

Old 07-20-2019, 12:22 PM

1,198 posts, read 668,165 times
I believe in everything in moderation. Genes have a big influence, or at least I have seen that in my family.

My parents ate mostly home cooked meals (including meat, eggs and fish), enjoyed fresh fruits and vegetables, had a couple of cocktails every night, did their own housework, and never had an exercise program beyond casual walking around the neighborhood and golf.

They were active, though, taking care of their home and chores. Both lived into their mid-90s in good shape both mentally and physically. One side of the family had a number of men and women who lived to 96-102, all quite mentally sharp and mobile.

We seldom eat red meat (not overly appealing to us) but do eat chicken and fish, plus try to eat lots of fruits and veggies. DH exercises more than me but I do most the housework which the doc said is good exercise. I have friends who did everything “right” and died in their 50s and 60s of cancers or a heart attack, so who knows.

Old 07-20-2019, 04:56 PM

2,224 posts, read 2,041,831 times
I've been following the Blood type/Genotype diet for many years. My type needs animal protein and I felt so much better when I stopped struggling to be vegan. I eat eggs, grass fed red meat, wild caught fish, organic poultry and lots of veggies, especially green leafy things like kale. No gluten or dairy or sugar.

Old 07-20-2019, 05:54 PM

9,773 posts, read 7,060,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old today View Post
The point I am trying to make is so many posters on this board tell us they feel great, are active, exercise and eat well. They expect to live to at least 100 years old and arrange their affairs and finances based on needing that money at 109 years old. It seems to me the ones who told me how great they feel are the ones I see laying in a casket a few months later at the funeral home.
That may be. But at least they didn't languish in their final years. I'd prefer being or at least feeling healthy, being active, eating well and then suddenly dropping dead, than the alternative.

Old Yesterday, 08:13 AM

13,323 posts, read 6,375,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
That may be. But at least they didn't languish in their final years. I'd prefer being or at least feeling healthy, being active, eating well and then suddenly dropping dead, than the alternative.
Good way to go, enjoy a healthy life. Two days ago, my husband and I were river rafting on the Truckee River, we had to sit on the edge of a dinghy, we’re much fitter than the young couple sharing the same dinghy, they are in their early 40s.

Old Yesterday, 08:36 AM

5,010 posts, read 2,304,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

I suggest that "leading surgeon" may be out of touch with boots-on-the-ground reality.
They often are. More so lately than ever.

Old Yesterday, 09:48 AM

5,010 posts, read 2,304,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suziq38 View Post
Isn't that the truth! I knew a young man who only purchased organic foods. He still died young (36) of pancreatic cancer. It didn't matter.
Sometimes I wonder if people who do this are aware at some level, early on, of their compromised health status & become more motivated to live healthy lifestyles.

My mom became 'anonymously famous'* in the health & nutrition community; motivated primarily by her early poor health status. I remember she used to say she wanted 'to live to be 100'. She died at 75 but I'm convinced, in retrospect, that if she had not so actively pursued health & longevity; she would have been dead & gone much, much earlier.

* My mom pursued knowledge with above-average intelligence, education (degrees in education, nutrition, a Ph.D. in Biochem & a Ph.D. in Immunology) & motivation but had no interest in gaining wealth or notoriety from her prowess.

She wrote the protocol for the genetic confirmation of Celiac disease & donated it to a national laboratory corporation who uses it to this day. Several now-famous physicians were at one time, her students & when Dr. Bruce Fife ('The Coconut Oil Doctor') wrote his first book & credited her, by name, in his 'Forward' paragraph; she had a fit!

He has since re-published the book, took her name out & rewrote his 'Forward'. He gives all the credit now to 'a woman' in a now two-page long 'Forward', instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement