U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 09:50 AM

3,498 posts, read 1,927,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old today View Post
Now that I am in my 70s and fully retired I have time to think about all the friends, neighbors, family and celebrities who have died in the last few years.

The strange thing about their deaths is they were all under 75 years old and statistically should not have died so young. They were white-collar professionals, were in great shape the year before they died and lived healthy lives..
Maybe they should have retired, like you!

Health condition can change quickly and dramatically for someone of any age, and especially for those beyond 60.

Do you have any friends of that age who don't look so healthy? They usually drop earlier, but there are always exceptions.

I know several people my age (60) or younger who have already died. Three of them were smokers/and or heavy drinkers as young men and they didn't even make it to 60. Hopefully I will live to see most of my contemporaries go, as my mother has (age 88). It's better than the alternative!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 09:54 AM

2,172 posts, read 1,271,519 times
No point in worrying. Make plans, have fun, do good. Love life.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:01 AM

10,760 posts, read 21,390,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old today View Post
Now that I am in my 70s and fully retired I have time to think about all the friends, neighbors, family and celebrities who have died in the last few years.

The strange thing about their deaths is they were all under 75 years old and statistically should not have died so young. They were white-collar professionals, were in great shape the year before they died and lived healthy lives. I would always see them outside doing long walks and other physical activities. They told me they never felt better. Had lots of plans for the future and wanted to fulfill their bucket lists for travel.

Almost overnight things changed for them. Cancer, Heart Attack, Stroke, Pulmonary Embolism, all things that can kill the most vital engaged person.

Now my retirement is full of fear I am going to follow them to an early grave!
There's really nothing any of us can do about it, when it's our time, it's time.

Have you done your family tree to know how old both sides live until? My mothers side lives until 80; which she and her sister already are so I imagine they both could go at any time.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:25 AM

267 posts, read 157,159 times
The thing to learn from this is never take your health for granted
and don't assume you are okay because you feel okay.
Some diseases have no symptoms or subtle ones/

I have learned this the hard way 3 times.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:32 AM

39,800 posts, read 3,009,722 times
We are all going to die, dwelling upon that fact may or may not help you.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:43 AM

13,294 posts, read 6,369,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElmersGlue. View Post
go mostly vegetarian/organic. it's the meat
My cousin was a vegetarian, died at age 49 with colon cancer. So this is why I hate to see this repeat on many forums. For the record, I eat lots of vegetables, but I also eat meat.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 07-16-2019 at 10:57 AM..

Old 07-16-2019, 10:56 AM

2,446 posts, read 2,077,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElmersGlue. View Post
go mostly vegetarian/organic. it's the meat
Do you have statistics where vegans live longer?

Old 07-16-2019, 11:30 AM

2,477 posts, read 1,079,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
There's really nothing any of us can do about it, when it's our time, it's time.

Have you done your family tree to know how old both sides live until? My mothers side lives until 80; which she and her sister already are so I imagine they both could go at any time.

I have already outlived my mom who died in her 50's, and closing in on my dad who died at 66. I don't worry about it too much.

Mom's parents both died of complications from diabetes, but it was in the 1940's. Dad's dad made it to 86 and only then died choking on a piece of food.

Old 07-16-2019, 12:19 PM

19,889 posts, read 18,900,996 times
I noticed that people seemed to die in age group clumps. (Only my observation and only with people I have known.)

Some from high school died very young from heart attacks or cancer, young as in 40 years old. An aunt died at that age too.

Then all seemed to be well until people hit 70. Wham. All those smokers suddenly got lung cancer and died. And quite a few other deaths too for other causes.

I don't know when the next age group cluster will hit. I'm 74, dh is 78. But now I live in an age restricted apartment complex and most people are an average age of 85, a few in their 90s and one is 100. That's out of 40 apartments. One who is in her 60s just had a stroke. Yet an 85 year old races around with her walker--wish I had that much energy--and she still drives too.

Old 07-16-2019, 12:21 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,715,391 times
My father died of a heart attack at 51. I'm 72 now. I try to plan as though I'll live to over a hundred, and live as though each day were my last - and to be grateful I can still get around on my own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement