Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 01:05 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, that's life!

You cannot live your life in fear because of others dying. It happens

Like my late Grandmother always said "you will not die a minute before, or a minute after, there is space available for you, so have fun, BUT BE GOOD!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 02:10 PM

78,332 posts, read 60,527,398 times
From age 70 to age 80 about 1 in 3 men die.

Chart below shows about 73k out of a 100k people make it to age 70 and about 50k at age 80.

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/table4c6.html

That means if you know via friends, relatives etc. 300 guys over 70 then you're losing about 1 a month and that's just the males.

I can only imagine the shock on ones own mortality when friends start dying in large numbers.

I went through it 10 years ago when my wife go sick and died in her 40's so one benefit of that is that I don't get as upset by people passing away >70 in that they had a pretty full long life and so I try to think about positives like that.

Old 07-18-2019, 02:15 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old today View Post
Now that I am in my 70s and fully retired I have time to think about all the friends, neighbors, family and celebrities who have died in the last few years.

The strange thing about their deaths is they were all under 75 years old and statistically should not have died so young. They were white-collar professionals, were in great shape the year before they died and lived healthy lives. I would always see them outside doing long walks and other physical activities. They told me they never felt better. Had lots of plans for the future and wanted to fulfill their bucket lists for travel.

Almost overnight things changed for them. Cancer, Heart Attack, Stroke, Pulmonary Embolism, all things that can kill the most vital engaged person.

Now my retirement is full of fear I am going to follow them to an early grave!
In addition to these words --Cancer, Heart Attack, Stroke, Pulmonary Embolism -- there's another word you can add to your vocabulary: Genetics.

DNA is the over-riding factor. You cannot fight DNA.

Your family is either short-lived, average or long-lived and there's little you can do to alter that.

Don't you remember Jim Fixx? You should. He was profiled in the film Forest Gump. He's the one who started the whole running craze/fad in the US.

Run! It's good and health and Jim Fixx died at age 36.

So much for running.

I do genealogy, so I see longevity all the time.

I had a cousin marry a woman with bad genes.

The next 4 generations all died in their 40s and 50s with only two reaching their 60s and the oldest died at 62.

The current generation who are in their 20s and 30s will all die in their 40s and 50s, too (a few might reach their 60s), because it's in their DNA.

Living a "healthy" life-style might extend their lives a year or two, but not much beyond that.

My grandfather had to have his bacon and eggs everyday for breakfast and he died at 87, and only because he had pancreatic cancer. If it wasn't for that, he'd have lived another 2-5 years at least, since everyone in my family dies between age 87 and 106.

That kind of debunks the myth that bacon and eggs are unhealthy. I'm sure they're unhealthy for some people, but not the rest of the world.

Anyway, before you pee your pants, you'll probably want to look at the longevity of your immediate family for clues (and immediate family means your parents, your grandparents and their siblings, your great-grandparents and their siblings and so on).

Old 07-18-2019, 03:13 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
^Jim Fixx was 52 when he died. He was a two-pack-a-day smoker before he took up running, so there's that. He did have a genetic predisposition to heart disease and an enlarged heart. (My father also had an enlarged heart. I, however, don't.)

Old 07-18-2019, 08:16 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/do...n-meat-eaters/

BTW, I love vegetables, legumes, nuts, fruits, whole grains but also love eggs, dairy products meats and seafood. There is no way that I want to become a vegan for the dubious chance of living a bit longer!
I think most vegetarians are vegetarian for ethical reasons, not health reasons, don't you? It's just a perk that they also tend to be healthier. They are certainly slimmer, and slimmer usually means healthier (up to a point).

Old 07-18-2019, 08:23 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
In addition to these words --Cancer, Heart Attack, Stroke, Pulmonary Embolism -- there's another word you can add to your vocabulary: Genetics.

DNA is the over-riding factor. You cannot fight DNA.

Your family is either short-lived, average or long-lived and there's little you can do to alter that.

Don't you remember Jim Fixx? You should. He was profiled in the film Forest Gump. He's the one who started the whole running craze/fad in the US.

Run! It's good and health and Jim Fixx died at age 36.

So much for running.

I do genealogy, so I see longevity all the time.

I had a cousin marry a woman with bad genes.

The next 4 generations all died in their 40s and 50s with only two reaching their 60s and the oldest died at 62.

The current generation who are in their 20s and 30s will all die in their 40s and 50s, too (a few might reach their 60s), because it's in their DNA.

Living a "healthy" life-style might extend their lives a year or two, but not much beyond that.

My grandfather had to have his bacon and eggs everyday for breakfast and he died at 87, and only because he had pancreatic cancer. If it wasn't for that, he'd have lived another 2-5 years at least, since everyone in my family dies between age 87 and 106.

That kind of debunks the myth that bacon and eggs are unhealthy. I'm sure they're unhealthy for some people, but not the rest of the world.

Anyway, before you pee your pants, you'll probably want to look at the longevity of your immediate family for clues (and immediate family means your parents, your grandparents and their siblings, your great-grandparents and their siblings and so on).
As for running, anyone who researches exercise for health will probably see (at least I have read) that like so many things in life, moderation is key. Drinking a bit of wine in moderation? Good. Boozing it up every night? Bad. Running one mile a day on spongy asphalt, or walking half an hour a day? Good. Running miles every day on cement? Bad. Working out with weights reasonably three times a week? Good. Becoming devoted to being a true body builder? Probably bad.

The premise seems to be that the body needs certain things to be in good operating order, like a car. If you do a bit of this and a bit of that, with regularity, your body should hum along in good working order for a long while. Doing more of this or that doesn't necessarily add to the benefit, and could do harm.

Last edited by bpollen; 07-18-2019 at 08:40 PM..

Old 07-18-2019, 11:03 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
The moral of the story is, don't waste your life.
Strive every day to have a happy death one day. Fear, worry are negative emotions that can impact your life, your longevity, lower your immune system.

Nothing brings you closer to eternity than travel, so if you've been putting off a trip around the world, do it, and damn the torpedoes! After having circled the globe, with a World Air Pass, you'll disembark wishing you were dead!

Old 07-19-2019, 06:55 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElmersGlue. View Post
go mostly vegetarian/organic. it's the meat
That is YOUR opinion. I think it's BS! My grandmother ate a healthy helping of beef, chicken and pork her whole life, along with cheese, whole milk, eggs and butter.

She lived til 99, and died only because she fell, broke her hip and went into a coma after a surgeon tried to fix her hip.

Old 07-19-2019, 07:05 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,518,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old today View Post
Now that I am in my 70s and fully retired I have time to think about all the friends, neighbors, family and celebrities who have died in the last few years.

The strange thing about their deaths is they were all under 75 years old and statistically should not have died so young. They were white-collar professionals, were in great shape the year before they died and lived healthy lives. I would always see them outside doing long walks and other physical activities. They told me they never felt better. Had lots of plans for the future and wanted to fulfill their bucket lists for travel.

Almost overnight things changed for them. Cancer, Heart Attack, Stroke, Pulmonary Embolism, all things that can kill the most vital engaged person.

Now my retirement is full of fear I am going to follow them to an early grave!
Live the time that you have on Earth to the fullest...We never know what’s around the corner.

Old 07-19-2019, 07:55 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
That is YOUR opinion. I think it's BS!
Of course it's BS.

Vegans are wrong but they feel oh so virtuous. I have a friend who extolls the vegan lifestyle and tries to get me to convert. One day she slipped up and mentioned she'd had eggs for breakfast. Wait, I said, eggs aren't vegan. Not even if they come from "vegan chickens."

I honestly don't care what other people eat -- it's their life. But why kid yourself? And if you're kidding yourself about what you eat, what else are you lying to yourself about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement