Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 12:28 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Do you have statistics where vegans live longer?
Vegans don’t live longer.

Their preaching is so tiresome, though, that time seems to stand still.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 12:43 PM

17 posts, read 18,198 times
The point I am trying to make is so many posters on this board tell us they feel great, are active, exercise and eat well. They expect to live to at least 100 years old and arrange their affairs and finances based on needing that money at 109 years old. It seems to me the ones who told me how great they feel are the ones I see laying in a casket a few months later at the funeral home.

Old 07-16-2019, 01:01 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old today View Post
The point I am trying to make is so many posters on this board tell us they feel great, are active, exercise and eat well. They expect to live to at least 100 years old and arrange their affairs and finances based on needing that money at 109 years old. It seems to me the ones who told me how great they feel are the ones I see laying in a casket a few months later at the funeral home.
Since this is a completely false premise — no one here has made any of those claims —why should we bother responding to you?

Old 07-16-2019, 02:08 PM

17 posts, read 18,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Since this is a completely false premise — no one here has made any of those claims —why should we bother responding to you?
I have been following City Data for over ten years and I have read countless posts from older people boosting how great they feel and saying they would live well into their 90s.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:08 PM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
I don't know anyone who has arranged their finances to live to 100. It's so rare to live that long that it makes the newspapers and people are in awe at 100 year olds. And I think people on this forum have been pretty upfront about their health challenges.

Treatments and preventative care have improved so much in recent years, and we are on the verge of some really big developments in several "old age" diseases like Parkinson's and Alzheimer's. I'm pretty optimistic about my future, of course I'm only 60! Even if you took perfect care of yourself, had all your mammograms, PSA tests, vaccinations, etc, you can still die in a car accident or fall off a curb and hit your head. All you can do is really all you can do. Get your tests (including colonoscopies) and vaccines, eat well, manage your health issues with lifestyle changes if you can, get what exercise you can, even if it's an exercycle or treadmill if that's the only way you feel safe, and hope for the best. That's all you can do.

But I won't waste one minute of my life worrying that "I could be next", because, number 1, it's not likely and, number 2, I can't change it. So why worry? Get those thoughts out of your head. Or I guess you can sit around and wring your hands and let needless worry spoil your day.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:21 PM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
Don't forget, even if the average life expectancy is 85 or whatever, as long as you are alive, you have a life expectancy. If you make it to 85, your l.e.may be as high as 97. Once you get up above 100, well....

https://www.blueprintincome.com/tool...g-will-i-live/

Old 07-16-2019, 02:23 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
Quote:
So what's the point of posting, then? To start an argument here?

"... What about the main thing in life, all its riddles? If you want, I'll spell it out for you right now. Do not pursue what is illusionary -property and position: all that is gained at the expense of your nerves decade after decade, and is confiscated in one fell night. Live with a steady superiority over life -don't be afraid of misfortune, and do not yearn for happiness; it is, after all, all the same: the bitter doesn't last forever, and the sweet never fills the cup to overflowing. It is enough if you don't freeze in the cold and if thirst and hunger don't claw at your insides. If your back isn't broken, if your feet can walk, if both arms can bend, if both eyes can see, if both ears hear, then whom should you envy? And why? Our envy of others devours us most of all. Rub your eyes and purify your heart -and prize above all else in the world those who love you and who wish you well. Do not hurt them or scold them, and never part from any of them in anger; after all, you simply do not know: it may be your last act before your arrest, and that will be how you are imprinted on their memory...” ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Old 07-16-2019, 02:24 PM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times
I can imagine that is tough.

To avoid cancer make sure you have a ton of Vitamin D. 50 ng per ml in the blood.

To avoid heart attack make sure your heart is strong and don't stress it. Take cardio tonics and mangnesium.

As for the Pulmonary Embolism.... got nothing. But seems freakish. Was it related to some surgery or something?

Old 07-16-2019, 02:51 PM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
Eat well, exercise often, die anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJUhlRoBL8M

Old 07-16-2019, 03:01 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,901,995 times
Quote:
You may be onto something.

I feel terrible, I hear a snap, crackle and pop when I get out of bed and it's not my Rice Krispies. My doctor gave me a referral to a mortician. I really should live to be 120 years old
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement