Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 08:34 PM

17,608 posts, read 22,516,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Not so sure that 75 is all that "young" but then I'll soon be 77 and don't feel that "old" either. Never know what's around the corner healthwise but so far the worst for me is my COPD and I'm managing that.

On Facebook my high school has a Memorial Page for all the class years. There are a LOT who have died over the years and some of them very young. I guess I just look at it as when it's 'my time' I'll just 'go' no matter how old I am. In my family they either die young and tragic or old and worn out. I think I've done passed that "young" thing so I'll opt for "worn out".

June was not a good month for us. My nephew's wife lost her mom, then his son was killed in an auto accident and two weeks later one of my brothers died. Four of my six siblings are gone now. Another brother is in bad shape as well. They are all 6 to 11 years younger than me. I don't spend much time thinking about 'the end'. Too much to do TODAY!

All any of us can do is to live each beautiful, wondrous new day to its fullest...

I, also, have been diagnosed with COPD.
The oxygen therapist at the VA Medical Center has recommended that i try their portable personal oxygen therapy for when i'm doing active, strenuous chores outside around my place. Like cutting firewood, etc. After Fire Season, is over.

Take Care...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 06:08 AM

2,163 posts, read 1,537,098 times
Ten years ago I worked with an 80 year old man in Tennessee. Skin tight and healthy, brain sharp as a tack, he told me he'd grown up and gone through life on a healthy diet of greens. the only odd thing to me was that the guy smoked unfiltered Pall Malls and kept a perpetual lit cigarette dangling from his lip.

Old 07-18-2019, 06:31 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,491,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old today View Post
Now that I am in my 70s and fully retired I have time to think about all the friends, neighbors, family and celebrities who have died in the last few years.

The strange thing about their deaths is they were all under 75 years old and statistically should not have died so young. They were white-collar professionals, were in great shape the year before they died and lived healthy lives. I would always see them outside doing long walks and other physical activities. They told me they never felt better. Had lots of plans for the future and wanted to fulfill their bucket lists for travel.

Almost overnight things changed for them. Cancer, Heart Attack, Stroke, Pulmonary Embolism, all things that can kill the most vital engaged person.

Now my retirement is full of fear I am going to follow them to an early grave!
Cancer is widespread, now. Anyone can get it. Causes are unknown for the most part. Other than that, genetics plays a large part. Also, where you live is a factor (industrial area, etc.). There are many factors.

The fact that any of us can die at any moment is no reason not to live a healthy lifestyle in the meantime. There is data that tells us a health lifestyle will extend one's life. For your friends who died, they may have died sooner, had they not lived a health lifestyle.

As for living a healthy lifestyle, just because you see someone eating a salad once, or walking occasionally, doesn't mean they don't chow down on fried chicken and chips at other times, or eat a high sodium diet, normally. Or drink too much.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:47 AM

87,982 posts, read 83,805,998 times
The phrase at the end of the thread title brought back a memory that made me smile.

At 90, my grandmother no longer was comfortable sitting through church on the pews, so she didn't go. My mother would go to the church they attended and bring her home the bulletin with the announcements and whatnot.

One day I was at the house and I saw my grandmother sitting in her chair and she looked a bit upset. I asked her if everything was OK. She said, "The church bulletin says that Marcy Vanderveen died. When we were young, we went places together and did things all the time. She was always so healthy. I don't understand what could have happened."

My grandmother was 90 at the time, so I asked my mother how old Mrs. Vanderveen was. Turns out she was "only" 88.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 07-18-2019 at 09:25 AM..

Old 07-18-2019, 08:12 AM

3,254 posts, read 4,957,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmont01 View Post
Our friends who have died suddenly or unexpectedly could have possible avoided dying if they had only visited a doctor in the last few years and had a check up.
No one avoids dying. Best you can do is postpone it.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:34 AM

17,264 posts, read 11,082,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
No one avoids dying. Best you can do is postpone it.
And doctors die just like everyone else, some much earlier than mid 70s.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:59 AM

723 posts, read 564,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
It's a matter of perspective. It's human nature, I think, to tend to see all things using oneself as a reference point. Hence the idea of "old age" is a moving goalpost as one ages, and the OP mentioned that he/she was in the 70's. While in reality there's no argument that the mid-70's is "old" considering statistical human lifespans, someone near or at this age may not think so.
Talk about a moving goalpost! The retired Army pastor who performed my wedding ceremony years ago used to say that middle age is half-way between your current age and 100!

Old 07-18-2019, 09:12 AM

2,085 posts, read 1,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Do you have statistics where vegans live longer?
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/do...n-meat-eaters/

Quote:
While some studies have found that vegetarians have longer lifespans, the question is difficult to research and certainty on the issue remains elusive.

It’s important to acknowledge that in most studies vegetarians tend to be the “health-conscious” people, with overall healthier lifestyle patterns than the norm. […] In most previous studies, vegetarians did have lower risk of early death from all causes in unadjusted analysis. However, after controlling for other lifestyle factors, such as the ones listed above, the risk reduction often decreased significantly (or even completely vanished). […] This suggests other characteristics beyond abstinence from meat may contribute to better health among vegetarians.

While an increasing number of studies are skeptical of a direct correlation between vegetarianism and longevity, the question remains controversial in epidemiological research. Therefore, we rank claims that vegetarians live longer than meat eaters as unproven.
BTW, I love vegetables, legumes, nuts, fruits, whole grains but also love eggs, dairy products meats and seafood. There is no way that I want to become a vegan for the dubious chance of living a bit longer!

Old 07-18-2019, 09:23 AM

535 posts, read 341,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The phrase at the end of the thread title brought back a memory that made me smile.

At 90, my grandmother no longer was comfortable sitting through church on the pews, so she didn't go. My mother would go to the church they attended and bring her home the bulletin with the announcements and whatnot.

One day I was at the house and I saw my grandmother sitting in her chair and she looked a bit upset. I asked her if everything was OK. She said, "The church bulletin says that Marcy Vanderveen died. When we were young, we went places together and did things all the time. She was always so healthy. I don't understand what could have happened."

My grandmother was 90 at the time, so I asked my mother how old Mrs. Vanderveen was. Turns out she was "only" 88.
Great story!

Old 07-18-2019, 09:26 AM

535 posts, read 341,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
And doctors die just like everyone else, some much earlier than mid 70s.
So true! During the 80's and 90's, I was a pharmaceutical salesperson. My job was to visit doctors. So many of them died.....I sometimes hated it when I saw that their name sign was off of their office door. I would have to walk in to make sure they were still around, or check in with the local pharmacist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement