U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 05:14 AM

4,857 posts, read 4,972,198 times

Advertisements

I was 19 and on a family vacation to Carlsbad, Ca.

I watched the whole thing on the cheap hotel black and white TV. It was a positively mesmerising event.

Little did I know that later, in the early 70s, I'd actually meet the engineer who designed the FM radio integrated circuits used to transmit "..One small step for a man, one huge leap for mankind."

Apollo created the demand and funding for the integrated circuit industry. I made designing ICs my career focus. It has been one heckuva ride. I love it so much that I find it hard to let go.

Today, the WSJ has a very interesting article of that genesis

https://www.wsj.com/articles/an-apol...d=hp_lead_pos5
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 07:23 AM

6,335 posts, read 3,590,603 times
I was a new bride whose husband had just been drafted and was stationed at Ft. Polk LA. waiting to go to Vietnam. I was angry, lonely, frightened and in no mood to celebrate anything the government was doing.

My friend and her husband took me to see "True Grit" with John Wayne. We sat in the balcony and I upset them by tossing popcorn kernels on the people below. Guess I still needed some lessons in maturity and in the next coming years I certainly got them.

Since then I've done my homework and visited the Space Center and read about the mission. I've currently got "The Right Stuff" by Tom Wolfe waiting for some sun to be taken to the beach.

I have many thoughts, questions and opinions on the subject.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:55 AM

30 posts, read 4,595 times
I was 11, in 4-H, and showing my registered Aberdeen Angus heifer at the Marion County Fair in Salem, OR. Someone rigged up a TV in the barn area, so most kids caught glimpses of the landing as they went to and from the show rings. I remember not being super excited or anything; more like ho-hum.

I have more memories of the space shuttle program. I was a graduating senior in engineering when the first one was flown in 1981. I was impressed with the re-usable technology. Later, I saw the Challenger land for its second to the last flight when I was working at Edwards Air Force Base. It was on a secret military mission, so the Air Force did not want folks witnessing the landing. A lot of us stood on the rooftops of buildings about the landing strip (i.e., dry lake bed) and watched it anyway (the Air Police threatened us all with jail time, but too many folks ignored them and they gave up). And I also saw the trail of the Columbia as it disintegrated when we lived in northwest NM in 2003.

Last edited by FortRock; 07-17-2019 at 09:11 AM..

Old 07-17-2019, 09:38 AM

5,971 posts, read 5,319,572 times
I watched it on TV but wasn't that interested. I never had any interest in any type of science until I was 60.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:47 AM

622 posts, read 253,515 times
My dad worked in the aerospace industry and specifically on the vehicles. I think he was a nervous wreck on July 20, which was also, coincidentally my sister's birthday. So, anyway, I didn't get to see it on TV.....I think my dad was too stressed out. We listened to it on the car radio on the way to an amusement park to celebrate my sister's birthday. That was stressful enough! I think he breathed a huge sigh of relief...for a moment anyway...then came the lift-off back to the command module and the return to Earth to worry about! LOL!

Old 07-17-2019, 09:52 AM

220 posts, read 33,218 times
I'm assuming we watched it on TV but I was only 4 (almost 5) and can't remember it.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:55 AM

3,478 posts, read 1,546,706 times
Age 14 in the living room with family for moon landing (CA). So unreal.

3rd grade in the classroom for Kennedy (CA).

Cut-and-pasting at our printing co. for the Challenger (CA).

Standing in my first apartment in Laguna Niguel, CA, for Elvis.

Wilderness camping in the Sierras for Princess Diana (it was creepy to hear on the shortwave in the middle of the night, in the woods)

Back in parents' living room for 9-11 (CA).

Old 07-17-2019, 10:28 AM

1,592 posts, read 587,704 times
We took a quiz here at my house. 3 out of 3 remember watching it at on the TV with our families. But none of us have sharp, clear memories about it, such as we have about what we were doing when we found out about President Kennedy being shot.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:52 AM

21,367 posts, read 21,930,528 times
I had heard about it and went out to watch but could not make anything out from that distance, never occurred to me until later that they already had cameras up there

Old 07-17-2019, 11:57 AM

6,653 posts, read 3,764,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
This has nothing to do with retirement, but everything to do with nostalgia. Where where you and what were you doing when Apollo 11 landed on the moon?

I watched the moon landing with my parents and younger brother over at a neighbor’s house. Sadly, I remember it mostly because I was fascinated by the dark paneling the neighbors had on their den walls, and because I was being allowed to stay up late. Strange is the mind of a six year old!
I don't remember. I guess I was at home. The whole family would have watched it on tv. My mom and us kids were all interested in the moon projects. It had been unimaginable that we could land on the moon, and America did it ahead of schedule. I was fascinated by it all. My science teacher in Jr high school had covered it very well and explained things to us.

We would have also watched parts of Apollo 8, the one that circled the moon.

But it's strange that I don't remember in particular. I do remember where I was when I found out that President Kennedy had been assassinated, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or