U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 03:51 PM

11 posts, read 2,888 times

Advertisements

I was in our living room watching TV with my parents and siblings. I was in high school at the time and was fascinated with anything space related. I am still a space/science geek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 04:19 PM

11,106 posts, read 12,494,246 times
I was at the Orange County Fair in California holding a girls hand I just met watching that on a small black and white tv. Indeed a memorable night.

Old 07-17-2019, 05:19 PM

172 posts, read 108,340 times
I was at my grandparent's house in rural North Carolina. My baby sister was just a month old and I had just turned 7 a few days before they walked on the moon. I was with my parents, grandparents, and other siblings too and we watched on a small black and white TV with rabbit ears. They had no air conditioning in their little 2 bedroom house. They only thing we had to keep us cool were small bottles of coca cola or cheer wine to drink. We all sat huddled in the living room watching in awe. It was an event everyone had been waiting for. And there it was happening right before our eyes. So glad I was able to watch this historic event. Every year around my birthday I always think about that night. It has always left me with a great summer memory.

Old 07-17-2019, 05:40 PM

4,188 posts, read 2,599,410 times
Oh yeah, I remember but it is surprising that I do. I was a bit of a wild child back then. The 60's were roaring fun, I was freshly out of high school in 1969. As I recall someone turned down the volume on the TV and turned on Jimi Hendrix's Purple Haze to go with the landing.

Old 07-17-2019, 05:58 PM

7,953 posts, read 5,058,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by See If This Works View Post
Even though I am an aerospace engineer I still find it mind boggling the US put a man on the moon in seven years (1962 JFK challenge to 1969) and did it six out of seven times, with no desktop computers, no excel for easy modeling, no CAD, punch cards, slide rules, and hundreds of contractors spread out all over the country. Today it takes three days just to get IT to change the toner in the printer.
Every time I hear some bizarre excuse at work (like it will take six months to write a test plan) I yell out "We NEVER put a man on the moon - NO WAY".
Indeed. As another person in the industry, I react with fascination and awe, that one time in the past, such feats were possible... and likewise with dismay and disgust, that they're next to impossible today.

How many of us will life sufficiently long, to witness the next human landing on the moon?

Old 07-17-2019, 08:14 PM

17,921 posts, read 54,257,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Indeed. As another person in the industry, I react with fascination and awe, that one time in the past, such feats were possible... and likewise with dismay and disgust, that they're next to impossible today.

How many of us will life sufficiently long, to witness the next human landing on the moon?
I remember thinking when funding was cut and the last missions abandoned that I had seen the beginning and end of man's reach for anything meaningful beyond Earth. That is almost as scary as what I think now when I look up at the moon and reflect on what might happen in the future.

Old 07-18-2019, 06:22 AM

290 posts, read 141,691 times
I was 13. We did not watch it live. The other day I dug out my diary from 1969. I was pleased that this boy-crazy teen did mention that we landed on the moon. At least it wasn't all about which cute boy I had seen that day. I also recall lying outside tanning, slathered in cocoa butter and looking up in the sky and talking about the moon walk. I grew up in Chicago. Yesterday I looked on line at the Chicago Tribune from 50 yrs ago. Our local store had cocoa butter on sale and I remember we went up there to buy it. LOL.

Old 07-18-2019, 02:48 PM

1,324 posts, read 838,885 times
I was with my neighbors vacationing in Wyoming on a dude ranch near Jackson Hole. We had to keep fiddling with the TV antenna trying to get a clearer picture to watch. Due to the Tetons, the reception was poor but we watched the moon landing through the wiggling lines and "snow".

Old Today, 06:04 PM

15 posts
Getting closer now. Think about how long a year is then multiply by 50. I vividly remember it. YouTube has live recreations...

This one is exactly 50 years ago down to the minute.

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akhJrCZVvq8[/url]

Old Today, 06:28 PM

1,835 posts, read 2,601,862 times
I was 16 and donít remember the launch but the day they landed my boyfriend for the summer and I had been to Cedar Point in Ohio and in the way home Chicago radio WLS interrupted their rock music to announce that man had landed on the moon. They never interrupted their music before that! Then later that night I remember staying up late with my parents watching the first steps on the moon. Just incredible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or