U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:23 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,037,333 times

Advertisements

We were coming up the coast of Mexico from Panama when one of the young officers got appendicitis. A flying boat came down from San Diego and took him to the hospital in San Diego. I don't believe they have flying boats anymore, and question whether they would do the same for a private boat. That happened in 1958 and it was on a Navy ship.

We have camped in many states, coast to coast and border to border and beyond. Campgrounds can be researched via directories or online. Most commercial campgrounds have wi-fi. We have stayed in many national and state parks and forests that were excellent. If you are 62, then a senior card is a huge bargain for national parks, forests, BLM lands and other government facilities.

With a SUV and trailer, you don't have to get the bottom scraped and painted with anti-fouling paint every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:08 PM

2,271 posts, read 1,120,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post
Wow, thank you everyone for giving me the feedback - it was very useful.
Ok, here some details:

1) The primary reason for question was to have a general idea for something that is completely new to me. I understand there are gazillion details, but when you start thinking about something that you never did before, you need sort of "big picture". For example, the comment about mosquitoes in marina was very good one for exactly this reason: you have nice clean picture in your mind, but all these dirty details you just don't know about! That's the common problem with novice in any field - you just don't know the what question you need to ask!

2) As for boat itself: no, I never intended to use sailboat. We are looking for leisure, not a sport and/or heavy work C'mon, it's retirement time! So, it obviously should be motor yacht (used) with least possible maintenance/work involved. I did some heavy googling other forums as well, and learned that probably the best option would be to buy something like Nordhavn 46 or Kadey Krogen 42 or alike. Yes, they are quite ugly looking, twice more expensive, but if we ever will meet (by accident) 30-ft waves, these ones can handle situation with ease.

3) Seamanship. Well, I'm not just quite handy, I'm also quite smart (PhD in Physics counts for something, right? ), and pick up any trade really fast and good. Obviously, some learning would be involved, but that's expected. Of course, all the nav eq, VHF etc will be duplicated and triplicated, same goes for power etc. That's not the worry at all. The only thing that worries me is those 30-ft waves and possibility to be stranded in the ocean 1000 miles away from any coast with something broken and no way to fix the broken part. Solution? Always travel within max 10 miles from the coast

4) Tiny living quarters. I lived my first 25 years in an apt of 340 st ft with 4 people in it, and stayed sane. My wife did the same in 200 sq ft apt with 3 people in it. I guess we can handle the boat space

5) Maintenance. Yes, this is big, very big, huge unknown variable to me. In short, if maintenance+docking will exceed $1000/mo, then it's not worth it. Someone mentioned yearly pull-out - thank you! That's another $800 - $1600/year I didn't account for.

But overall, I see that it's doable. Thanks to everyone!

Sailboats are certainly for leisure, not just for racing/sport, and they are no more heavy work than motor boats. Plus, if your sailboat engine goes out, you can just sail home. Some of the best times of my life were spent sailing under the moon, in peace and quiet.

Old Yesterday, 07:29 PM

12,992 posts, read 4,905,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Sailboats are certainly for leisure, not just for racing/sport, and they are no more heavy work than motor boats. Plus, if your sailboat engine goes out, you can just sail home. Some of the best times of my life were spent sailing under the moon, in peace and quiet.
You ever been in 75 knots when you blew the mainsail off the mast?

And you get hauled up the mast in 30 knots to reattach the sail?

At this point I am not sure I would attempt big sailboat. Love them but I also have a survival instinct.

I would agree they are lovely and I love the hour before dawn out on the deck in a big boat.

On the other side at least one competent sailor on board. And spouse counts only if she could single handle the boat. Mine is a good helper...but not capable by herself.

Old Today, 07:57 AM

9,268 posts, read 8,337,794 times
Quote:
Wow, thank you everyone for giving me the feedback - it was very useful.
Ok, here some details:

1) The primary reason for question was to have a general idea for something that is completely new to me. I understand there are gazillion details, but when you start thinking about something that you never did before, you need sort of "big picture". For example, the comment about mosquitoes in marina was very good one for exactly this reason: you have nice clean picture in your mind, but all these dirty details you just don't know about! That's the common problem with novice in any field - you just don't know the what question you need to ask!

2) As for boat itself: no, I never intended to use sailboat. We are looking for leisure, not a sport and/or heavy work C'mon, it's retirement time! So, it obviously should be motor yacht (used) with least possible maintenance/work involved. I did some heavy googling other forums as well, and learned that probably the best option would be to buy something like Nordhavn 46 or Kadey Krogen 42 or alike. Yes, they are quite ugly looking, twice more expensive, but if we ever will meet (by accident) 30-ft waves, these ones can handle situation with ease.

3) Seamanship. Well, I'm not just quite handy, I'm also quite smart (PhD in Physics counts for something, right? ), and pick up any trade really fast and good. Obviously, some learning would be involved, but that's expected. Of course, all the nav eq, VHF etc will be duplicated and triplicated, same goes for power etc. That's not the worry at all. The only thing that worries me is those 30-ft waves and possibility to be stranded in the ocean 1000 miles away from any coast with something broken and no way to fix the broken part. Solution? Always travel within max 10 miles from the coast

4) Tiny living quarters. I lived my first 25 years in an apt of 340 st ft with 4 people in it, and stayed sane. My wife did the same in 200 sq ft apt with 3 people in it. I guess we can handle the boat space

5) Maintenance. Yes, this is big, very big, huge unknown variable to me. In short, if maintenance+docking will exceed $1000/mo, then it's not worth it. Someone mentioned yearly pull-out - thank you! That's another $800 - $1600/year I didn't account for.

But overall, I see that it's doable. Thanks to everyone!
Sailboats are much studier than motor yachts.

A friend of mine who is a buyer for Hatteras said for a motor yacht you should plan on 30% of its cost for yearly upkeep.

Old Today, 12:34 PM

4,649 posts, read 4,486,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Sailboats are certainly for leisure, not just for racing/sport, and they are no more heavy work than motor boats...
Sailing is HARD work! A fantastic activity and there is nothing like being out on the ocean, but it is not "leisurely" in the least. The nights I have slept the best and the deepest were nights after spending the day on the water. (p.s. I have no experience on "stinkpots". All my time on the water has been under sail.)

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old Today, 12:42 PM

2,271 posts, read 1,120,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Sailing is HARD work! A fantastic activity and there is nothing like being out on the ocean, but it is not "leisurely" in the least. The nights I have slept the best and the deepest were nights after spending the day on the water. (p.s. I have no experience on "stinkpots". All my time on the water has been under sail.)

Well, I don't consider sailing to be hard work at all. Adjust the sails, steer the boat. I could do that in my sleep, probably have.

Doing it in bad weather is work, but I don't sail during hurricanes.

Old Today, 12:56 PM

12,992 posts, read 4,905,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
There is not a lot of difference between power and sail when on passage at sea. Most larger boats have auto pilots and maintain course well. So the real job most of the time is to maintain the watch.

One can be forced into active piloting by heavy weather but it is pretty rare. And there is a little more work on a sailboat as you deal with the sails. That actually is though a relatively infrequent task. Mostly a little sail trim now and then is enough. Once got caught off Baja in a Santa Ana with way too much sail up. Decided it was too dangerous to go forward so we furled the head sail and went to a fisherman's reef on the main. (Fisherman's reef for non sailors is simply letting the sail all the way out so it generates little if any lift and has a small cross section to the wind. ) But that is one of very few times where the sails caused trouble.

Old Today, 01:15 PM

143 posts, read 25,482 times
Ok, one more question that I cannot definitive answer for:

6% use tax (in Florida) - it it paid every year or only once? Florida tax website had no information about that at all. They just say sale/use tax - and that's it.

Old Today, 02:02 PM

33 posts, read 17,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Sailboats are much studier than motor yachts.

A friend of mine who is a buyer for Hatteras said for a motor yacht you should plan on 30% of its cost for yearly upkeep.
That number might be right if you include the cost of a crew. My experience has been more like 10% over 20 years with 32-40' motor yachts.

Old Today, 02:29 PM

3,555 posts, read 2,243,419 times
Quote:
probably the best option would be to buy something like Nordhavn 46 or Kadey Krogen 42 or alike.
I second the idea of a Nordhavn, it's an amazing "little ship". The Krogens are, I believe, semi-displacement hulls and not right for ocean crossing. The Nordhavn will take you around the world in comfort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or