Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 10:49 AM

17 posts, read 18,206 times

Advertisements

My parents used to be snowbirds and escaped the cold weather of Minnesota for three months every winter in either Florida or Arizona. They told me there were 100,000 or more snowbirds in the Phoenix area every winter.

But what about Sun Birds? People who live in the Southern USA and just can't take the summer weather in places that are just so hot, humid and miserable in June, July, and August. A summer day in places like Arizona, Florida, or pretty much anywhere in the sunbelt can be just as miserable to a retired person than winter up north.

So, anyone here who escapes the summer heat every June-September and if so, where do you go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 11:09 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,957,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old today View Post
My parents used to be snowbirds and escaped the cold weather of Minnesota for three months every winter in either Florida or Arizona. They told me there were 100,000 or more snowbirds in the Phoenix area every winter.

But what about Sun Birds? People who live in the Southern USA and just can't take the summer weather in places that are just so hot, humid and miserable in June, July, and August. A summer day in places like Arizona, Florida, or pretty much anywhere in the sunbelt can be just as miserable to a retired person than winter up north.

So, anyone here who escapes the summer heat every June-September and if so, where do you go?
Many come here to Western North Carolina. It has been between 62 and 65 each morning and rarely gets above 85 on our mountain. We also enjoy a breeze and relatively low humidity.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:22 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,957,653 times
Quote:

Many come here to Western North Carolina. It has been between 62 and 65 each morning and rarely gets above 85 on our mountain. We also enjoy a breeze and relatively low humidity.

Last edited by funisart; 07-17-2019 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: Duplicate

Old 07-17-2019, 11:30 AM

178 posts, read 124,319 times
My in-laws did that. Miami to a cabin near Ashville every summer. There were quite a few cabins owned by Floridians on their mountain.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:43 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,154,094 times
^^This right here is my plan in retirement. Southern sunshine in the winters months then head north from May-Sept.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:46 AM

4,343 posts, read 2,228,168 times
Aren't the folks that come to San Diego from Arizona during the summer to escape the heat called "Zonies"?

Old 07-17-2019, 12:11 PM

5,761 posts, read 11,360,805 times
I was living in Tucson up until May 1, but decided that the summer AZ heat was not for me. I have been in Leipzig, Germany since then. All my stuff in Tucson went into a small storage unit, and I sold my car. I was just going to stay during the warm weather months, but I decided to apply for a one year residence permit, which just got approved. I am retired with good income, so it is a non-working permit. It took just one ten-minute office visit to the foreigner's office in the city, with papers in hand and permit application perfectly filled out. I had to show proof of expat health insurance, proof of income, proof of legal domicile from my landlord. and proof of registration as a resident from the city hall.

I speak German well, and lived here in Germany for many years while in the US Army in the 70s, so am not a stranger. I have been renting a furnished vacation apartment, but I will probably look for something a little more permanent. It is inexpensive in eastern Germany (outside of Berlin) to rent, and no car needed. I picked a place with an excellent street car network in the city, and great train connections in all directions leaving the city. Its also great for bike riding almost anywhere.

During the coldest winter months, I'll probably snowbird and take a flight to a warm weather destination for a few months.

Old 07-17-2019, 12:19 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
What are rents in Germany for furnished flats?

We retreat 'home' for summer... income tax free domicile with 50F sleeping nights
(WA State for us, Alaska will also do, as may parts of WY and SD)

WA (and AK) comes with fresh berries (eating some at the moment) and Salmon and steelhead (tonight).

Old 07-17-2019, 12:24 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
Quote:

Any retired person who is stupid enough to retire to Phoenix, then complain about the summer heat, deserves it. It is not exactly a secret or a surprise.

Currently I can tolerate outdoor heat up to 105, which means that only the hottest part of the day is inaccessible for me. Nap time! Heat tolerance increases with practice, at least for me.

Old 07-17-2019, 02:46 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,254,432 times
Not me, I like the heat. It’s 99 deg here today with high humidity. I do have friends here who leave for North Carolina to escape the heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement