U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 10:24 AM

5,807 posts, read 4,854,199 times

Advertisements

I get some of my best plants by digging up "weeds" and planting them in better spots. So far I've "re-homed" a hickory tree, a holly tree, several cedars, a couple beauty-berry bushes, mondo grass, and a dogwood tree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 11:37 AM

2,481 posts, read 1,079,350 times
How do you keep bird feeders up all year? Don't you have bears?

Old 07-18-2019, 12:41 PM

12,298 posts, read 12,533,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
How do you keep bird feeders up all year? Don't you have bears?
Yes, we have bears, but they are not starving. There is never a problem with them knocking over garbage cans or raiding bird feeders. They stay away from the house.

I have a friend whose chicken feed got raided some years back, but she improved the door latch on her chicken coop and hasn't had any problem since.

Old Yesterday, 08:06 AM

17,921 posts, read 54,257,015 times
I don't "do" bird feeders. Instead, I grow zinnias. Once they start flowering, the butterflies and hummingbirds descend en masse. Later, when the seeds are formed, other larger birds come for lunch. No worries about ants and wasps in the hummer feeder, no bear concerns, no mess, no spending money continuously on bird seed or worrying about caring for lazy addicted birds. Even when no butterflies or birds are in attendance, they are nice to just sit and look at. Of the flowers I've grown, zinnias are by far the best attractors of butterflies and birds.

And if anyone wants to weed, I have paradise for you. I won't even charge you to remove the hackberry, privet, blackberries, poke, or various spined vines.

Old Yesterday, 10:10 AM

6,615 posts, read 3,687,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Time in the garden and the kitchen can be so satisfying.
I used to practice Bonsai in early retirement and had several trees I was working with - one for about 17 years. When I moved to my new home in the desert, my new "pals", Benjamin Bunny and Jack Rabbit, dined on the exotic greenery the first night I was there before I had a chance to properly set things up. The lone survivor, a juniper, was killed off by the sun in about a week. They left my Key Lime tree alone and it likes the sun. It is too aromatic for the furry raiders. Benjamin Bunny has taken up residence under my Trumpet Vine and eats anything I plant that isn't aromatic (except his Trumpet Vine home, of course). He even eats Prickly Pear cactus. I was trying to pretty the place up a bit and planted some Coleus and Liatris along with Lantana and Lavender....all in pots to discourage him. The Coleus has been consumed and all of the leaves eaten off of the Liatris. He doesn't like Lantana -- probably the texture. The Lavender is too aromatic for his little taste buds. He doesn't seem to like Geraniums but eats Petunia flowers - not leaves. So now I spend time at Lowes patrolling their bargain plants rack -- no point in buying full price if they get eaten by my (plump) rabbit friend.

Old Today, 04:24 PM

1,592 posts, read 587,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Our former neighbor, a younger man, spent a lot of time on an immaculate yard. He was an FBI agent and I assumed it was his stress relief.

I worked on a mobile MRI unit years ago and my company was renting space from anotherís doctorís office. I didnít realize there was a dispute between them over who paid for landscaping fees. I got tired of walking patients past knee high weeds and wood chucks hanging around in the weeds. I went over one afternoon when the semi wasnít there and weeded it all in a couple of hours. No one one from the other office approached me, but they were on the phone to corporate complaining bitterly. I was reprimanded, very tongue in cheek, and asked not to do it again.

I really do have to stop myself from pulling weeds out in public places. But I am starting to see weeds in a different light with my growing love for weedy native plants.

Attachment 212815
My photo of a wild poinsettia in my garden with added quote
Hi Jean --

In my city, we have a Xeriscape Demonstration Garden located at the main Public Library. There are a corps of volunteers who each take a space in the garden and help maintain it. In addition, the local rose gardening club cares for a formal rose garden, which is located near a historic home. Many weddings are performed in the rose garden, including the wedding of the 2nd grade teacher of one of the kids, who married the school maintenance man. The whole class was invited and they brought little chairs from the school so all the students had a front row view!

-- Hollyhock

Old Today, 04:30 PM

149 posts, read 67,805 times
Well I play a couple of hours of GTA 5 everyday just to keep my mind sharp, (hehehehehe) yeah that is why. Then I get my chores done and settle down for an early smoke. I do something way different than you folks with the weeds.(hehehehehe) Then sometimes a nap is in order, then maybe a little more GTA 5 just to keep me sharp. (hehehehehehe)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement