U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:28 PM

2,618 posts, read 968,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
No, we retire because we can.

And we retire because we don't need or want someone or some entity to tell us where we have to be for 40 hours/week; what we have to do when we're there; when we can go home; and when we can take a week or two off to do what we want. Instead, we do what we want and when we want 24/7/365.

That's why we retire.
You retired because you can. Other people retire for the reason given by the other poster. What is true for you isn't true for others. You can't generalize like that, and have it be true for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:43 PM

8,211 posts, read 11,929,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
I sense thinly veiled sarcasm.
You are completely mistaken.

There was nothing thinly-veiled about my sarcasm.

Quote:
The drug companies are profit driven, and even give perks to doctors when they prescribe their products, trips, bonuses, and other goodies.
Then follow that train of thought to it's logical conclusion: If high cholesterol was healthier than low cholesterol, drug companies would be pushing drugs to raise your cholesterol, not lower it.

Quote:
But eat grass fed animal products, not feedlot animal products pumped full of antibiotics forced into unnatural living conditions, and diets of soy, and corn instead of green grass. Even pigs can be organically raised on pasture.
No, you shouldn't eat any animal products, regardless of how they are fed.

Quote:
The "health" industry has been very wrong many times before. This wouldn't be the first time, lol. They were wrong about eggs, they were wrong about salt. Sea salt is good because of the minerals in it. Table salt is terrible because all the minerals that balance sodium have been removed, and aluminum added for anti caking.
No, they weren't. Eggs aren't good for you.

A new meta-study published in JAMA analyzed data on nearly 30,000 adults from six studies spanning 31 years of follow-up. Researchers concluded that eating 300 milligrams (mg) of dietary cholesterol per day—one egg yolk, in comparison, provides 185 mg—raises incident cardiovascular disease by 17 percent and early death by any cause by 18 percent.

“Our study does not suggest there is a safe amount for egg consumption,” stated lead researcher Wenze Zhong, Ph.D., in the Department of Preventive Medicine at the Feinberg School of Medicine at Northwestern University. “Any level of egg consumption is associated with increased risk of cardiovascular disease and mortality, because we found a dose-response association. Greater consumption means higher risk.”

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...stract/2728487

Old Yesterday, 10:26 PM

2,618 posts, read 968,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
You are completely mistaken.

There was nothing thinly-veiled about my sarcasm.

Then follow that train of thought to it's logical conclusion: If high cholesterol was healthier than low cholesterol, drug companies would be pushing drugs to raise your cholesterol, not lower it.

No, you shouldn't eat any animal products, regardless of how they are fed.

No, they weren't. Eggs aren't good for you.

A new meta-study published in JAMA analyzed data on nearly 30,000 adults from six studies spanning 31 years of follow-up. Researchers concluded that eating 300 milligrams (mg) of dietary cholesterol per day—one egg yolk, in comparison, provides 185 mg—raises incident cardiovascular disease by 17 percent and early death by any cause by 18 percent.

“Our study does not suggest there is a safe amount for egg consumption,” stated lead researcher Wenze Zhong, Ph.D., in the Department of Preventive Medicine at the Feinberg School of Medicine at Northwestern University. “Any level of egg consumption is associated with increased risk of cardiovascular disease and mortality, because we found a dose-response association. Greater consumption means higher risk.”

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...stract/2728487

I was being sarcastic. Guess you missed it, lol.

All of this that you said is OT because you took exception to a comment I made about cholesterol. I'm not going to get in a debate about this on a thread that has nothing to do with what you are saying. You are a vegan, and we will never agree. So let's get back to the subject of the thread which is Tiredness in Old Age, and reasons for it. Thank you. And btw, guess who trains doctors. The drug companies.

I will include this.

"Is the new study all it’s cracked up to be?

The debate over eggs originated because of yolks’ high cholesterol content, and previous recommendations cautioned people to eat less cholesterol as a way to prevent cardiovascular disease, according to Alyssa Pike, R.D., manager of nutrition communications at the International Food Information Council.

However, she told Runner’s World, daily cholesterol limits were removed from the U.S. government’s 2015 Dietary Guidelines for America.

This change came about because the current body of research about dietary cholesterol does not support the idea that dietary sources of cholesterol have a large impact on our blood cholesterol levels,” she said.

Stuart Phillips, Ph.D, the director of the McMaster Centre for Nutrition, Exercise, and Health Research, agrees that the cholesterol-from-food link may not be as damning as we once thought.

“Cholesterol may be something to pay attention to, but its relationship to heart disease and death isn’t huge, and there are lots of other contributors,” he said. “Even the paper itself shows that it isn’t really the problem.”

In fact, the study itself may have some issues—something important to address before drawing any sweeping dietary conclusions from its findings.

For one, the amount of risk, or hazard, that’s reported here is trivial—and the way in which they calculated it doesn’t exactly lend itself to an easy determination of someone’s true risk, Phillips said.

He added that the authors themselves admitted there were significant limitations."

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a2...-eggs-healthy/

The article continues on. Very interesting. So now we are even, we each have one link. So lets move on shall we.

Last edited by mlulu23; Yesterday at 10:54 PM..

Old Today, 06:49 AM

18,635 posts, read 9,625,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I think fatigue is a normal part of the aging process.

When I "retired" at 66 for the second time, one major reason was afternoon fatigue.

Now I take a nap in the afternoon for about one hour. It really helps.
Yeah I think that aging reduces energy. I'm early 60's and retired 7 months ago....I take an afternoon nap now and that boots me up for a while. I talked with my older sister (she's 66) and she complained of fatigue as well.

Are there people in their 70's or 80's that haven't seen a reduction in energy?

Old Today, 07:16 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,729,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Yeah I think that aging reduces energy. I'm early 60's and retired 7 months ago....I take an afternoon nap now and that boots me up for a while. I talked with my older sister (she's 66) and she complained of fatigue as well.

I currently live in my third 55+ community over the past 10+ years. I don't know (and haven't known) of anyone 65+ who doesn't lose energy, strength and stamina as they have aged. I'm 70, I've been going to the gym (off and on, mostly on) for the past year. I eat mostly according to the Mediterranean Diet (because I like it), I avoid sugar (don't eat a lot of fruit either), and 5-6 days a week I'm at the gym (mostly cardio), and I stopped taking my BP medication (which made me feel a lot better also). While all that has increased my energy, strength and stamina A LOT (compared to a year ago), I still don't have all that I did even five years ago (at 65, I still felt like The Energizer Bunny -- not anymore). After all, we're AGING -- our bodies are winding down.

I had a neighbor, who, at 92, recently went into Assisted Living. She was on the treadmill every morning and every late afternoon, and even she readily admitted that she became more and more tired as the years went by. Her mind was always sharp as a tack, but even she needed assisted living eventually.

My ex-BF, who is one of these Super Agers, was still downhill skiing at age 78 (he's now 83), and suddenly he just couldn't do it anymore -- didn't have the energy and strength.

Have your PCP give you a complete physical (good luck in that ever happening -- medical professionals are charged with saving saving money for whatever healthcare provider organization they work for), try cooking and preparing your meals from scratch (I've been doing that for 30 years), avoid sugar (and alcohol), and get to the gym. But even then, I can't imagine any of us feeling, at 70, like we did at even just 65.

My MD tells me that I'm in A LOT better shape than most older people, around my age, who he sees! Yeah, right. I always find that scary. Although I do sleep well (6 hours, up for 2, back for 3, at night), I still take a nap most days. And I don't feel all that great.

The ONLY thing I dislike about aging is the ever-increasing loss of energy, strength, stamina. It's a real bummer. LOL

Old Today, 08:05 AM

56,214 posts, read 54,678,928 times
I love getting up early, it's the best part of the day, and then having a nap in the afternoon. It's what I planned to do when I retired, and I try to stick to it most days.

It will only get worse, I guess. I was visiting my mother, and I found out that she now has a nap after breakfast because she gets tired. She asked me to wake her up after an hour because she had to run out and go get her blood level checked for her Coumadin.

I said, "Really, Mom, breakfast is so tiring now that you need a nap?" She laughed, but that's the way it is. Plus, she doesn't always sleep well during the night.

I drove her to her doctor's appointment, for which she was grateful. I don't know how she manages when she does it herself, but she does it. Wants to be as independent as possible, but she's getting weaker and more tired, I can see.

Old Today, 09:29 AM

622 posts, read 253,515 times
Quote:
I agree with you. Statins cause more problems than they help. Of course the drug companies will tell us differently. Our bodies need cholesterol, we make our hormones out of it, and other important things. As your experiment shows, if we don't get cholesterol from our diets, our livers will make it on their own. There have been studies showing that people with higher levels of cholesterol are healthier than those with lower levels. It's been quite awhile since I read that, so I don't have a link for it, but it's something to look into. Statins do make a lot of money for the drug companies though. But if it keeps people from exercising due to pain, then what good is it. Just my thoughts on the matter. I wouldn't take statins if they paid me to.
I know the whole statin argument has been discussed to death on the health forum....but I still can't decide whether or not to keep taking them. Without statins, my natural level of cholesterol is in the 300 range...hereditary. And it's not due to an unhealthy diet or lack of exercise...my levels have been like this since my 20's...when I was skinny and constantly running! I definitely feel more tired and achy when I take the prescribed amount of statins. I take less than prescribed in hopes of balancing everything out. And I take Q10 along with them. It's just so hard to know which is going to be more harmful in the long run....the high cholesterol levels, or the possible damage to my body from the statins and the harm to quality of life....

Old Today, 09:45 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,729,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
I know the whole statin argument has been discussed to death on the health forum....but I still can't decide whether or not to keep taking them. Without statins, my natural level of cholesterol is in the 300 range...hereditary. And it's not due to an unhealthy diet or lack of exercise...my levels have been like this since my 20's...when I was skinny and constantly running! I definitely feel more tired and achy when I take the prescribed amount of statins. I take less than prescribed in hopes of balancing everything out. And I take Q10 along with them. It's just so hard to know which is going to be more harmful in the long run....the high cholesterol levels, or the possible damage to my body from the statins and the harm to quality of life....
This is from the federal government National Institute of Health. You can just scroll down to "6. Conclusions" (but I have the whole article very interesting). Make your own decisions, of course, but my vote, based on this article, is that you stop taking your statin.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6024687/

Old Today, 10:00 AM

20,648 posts, read 16,680,404 times
Quote:
I was being sarcastic. Guess you missed it, lol.

All of this that you said is OT because you took exception to a comment I made about cholesterol. I'm not going to get in a debate about this on a thread that has nothing to do with what you are saying. You are a vegan, and we will never agree. So let's get back to the subject of the thread which is Tiredness in Old Age, and reasons for it. Thank you. And btw, guess who trains doctors. The drug companies.

I will include this.

"Is the new study all it’s cracked up to be?

The debate over eggs originated because of yolks’ high cholesterol content, and previous recommendations cautioned people to eat less cholesterol as a way to prevent cardiovascular disease, according to Alyssa Pike, R.D., manager of nutrition communications at the International Food Information Council.

However, she told Runner’s World, daily cholesterol limits were removed from the U.S. government’s 2015 Dietary Guidelines for America.

This change came about because the current body of research about dietary cholesterol does not support the idea that dietary sources of cholesterol have a large impact on our blood cholesterol levels,” she said.

Stuart Phillips, Ph.D, the director of the McMaster Centre for Nutrition, Exercise, and Health Research, agrees that the cholesterol-from-food link may not be as damning as we once thought.

“Cholesterol may be something to pay attention to, but its relationship to heart disease and death isn’t huge, and there are lots of other contributors,” he said. “Even the paper itself shows that it isn’t really the problem.”

In fact, the study itself may have some issues—something important to address before drawing any sweeping dietary conclusions from its findings.

For one, the amount of risk, or hazard, that’s reported here is trivial—and the way in which they calculated it doesn’t exactly lend itself to an easy determination of someone’s true risk, Phillips said.

He added that the authors themselves admitted there were significant limitations."

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a2...-eggs-healthy/

The article continues on. Very interesting. So now we are even, we each have one link. So lets move on shall we.
Yes but this was 2015. The JAMA abstract that he posted is new it’s from 2019. I eat a lot of eggs and I remember when they said eggs are now no problem, but that was just tested again in the linked study and their results shouldn’t be dismissed in favor of a five year old guideline. I did read that study after he posted the link and it found a direct correlation. I don’t know if I’ll cut them out completely but I’m certainly going to cut down.

Back to the topic though, tiredness is not all just due to diet. That would not explain tiredness in someone older if they’re eating the same diet as they did 10 years ago and they are tired now then apparently it’s not just diet. For myself, I feel more tired though when I eat a lot of starchy carbs even good grains.

I think hormones have a lot to do with it. But also trouble sleeping does as well. I sleep much later than I used to, and once a week I find it harder to fall asleep again. So then I feel more tired the entire day.

Old Today, 10:13 AM

13,305 posts, read 6,369,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post

I’ve been napping since my early 20s, always after lunch. When I was I put my feed up in my office and had a little doze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement