U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 10:16 AM

1,688 posts, read 581,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I'm a stone former who doesn't form stones anymore. There are different types of stones, so what works for me might not for you, but increasing magnesium, avoiding oxylate foods and phosphoric acid, and drinking plenty of distilled water turned me completely around.

Mine are calcium oxalate stones. The urologist I went to after the first stone episode (in my late 30s/early 40s) either didn't know or didn't bother to tell me about following a low oxalate diet. As a result I spent too many years following a textbook-heart-healthy diet that was heavy on TONS of foods that are among the highest in oxalate. Small wonder that I ended up forming a massive stone that was well on its way to blocking one of my two ureters completely. Had to have it surgically removed at a time when I had no health insurance; waiting was not an option. I refer to that sucker as my " $20,000 rock " because that's what the entire episode ended up costing me when all was said and done.

I could have had a diamond of the same size for less money, LOL

Unfortunately the Low-Oxalate diet is at odds with two other diets I'm also supposed to follow: Low-Fat/Low-Cholesterol and Ultra-Low-Acid, plus I also have IBS. So none of the diets can be followed strictly, while at the same time my range of tolerated foods is really small. I'm sure I'm deficient in something more than just D, but the question is what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 10:35 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,484,350 times
Vitamin D3 has transformed my winter life. Fairly new to North Idaho and the very short daylight hours combined with the constant cloud cover resulted in the "blahs" that first winter. Since starting D3, my life is back to normal. I would not have believed it if I didn't experience it myself. Take a few other daily vitamins, but cannot objectively say if they are beneficial or not.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 07-19-2019, 10:47 AM

220 posts, read 33,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralvr View Post
Iíve taken vitamins most of my life. Take multi and extra D. (Per drs recommendation). Take Areds for my eyes (have eye issues) and noticed floaters disappeared. Also a probiotic. On no medications.

I was just buying the cheap store brand and recently did some research and am buying a better brand.

I donít eat a perfect diet so I feel better knowing Iím getting some needed nutrients.
What brand of Areds do you use, and where do you get them. I have floaters that I would love to go away. The Ophthalmologist I recently saw didn't say anything about supplements to help me.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:59 AM

19,896 posts, read 18,907,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
I am curious about which doctor (GP? hematologist?) did your tests and what they tested for. I have never been able to take a multivitamin because if I do, it has always caused terrible heartburn if I take any for more than a couple of days in a row.... even the most basic "RDA only" dosages. And iron supplements have always triggered cystitis within 36 hours; my kidneys apparently cannot metabolize supplemental iron properly but are fine with iron that naturally occurs in food rather than being chemically added.

Because there's no way to pinpoint which elements of a typical multivitamin trigger my reflux problem, I can't take any. I was tested for Vitamin D about ten years ago and I was in single digits BUT.... I am also a kidney stone former and medical advice is that taking more than the basic RDA of 400 mg of supplemental D raises the risk of stone formation. Same risk for supplemental calcium but calcium in dairy products is okay and in fact is beneficial. Anyway, taking 400 mg of D only raises my D by a couple of points (for example from 6 to 8.) And to top it all off, I'm prone to PMLE (polymorphous light eruption) with is a form of photosensitivity and so sunbathing is out as well.

Sometimes ya just can't win, LOL

But I would be interested in being tested for specific deficiencies with a view toward taking ONLY a supplement for whatever I may be lacking. Taking a multivitamin is, in my case, like trying to shoot a gnat with an elephant gun
Maybe others can help because I'm certainly no expert. I mostly just know what my dr told me and what I've found online. My personal health story is looong and I will try to spare you, lol.

The vitamin/mineral testing was done once by a pcp, but originally it was done by a wonderful allergist who went the extra mile to help me when I was VERY sick. Sick for years, undiagnosed, wandering from dr to dr and not getting anywhere. Constant sinus infections and finally it got so I could barely eat anything due to foods seeming to cause massive headaches and other symptoms. It was a regular, ordinary person who said I must have allergies and recommended this wonderful allergist.

This dr only recommended a high quality multi--she said most of the others had fillers and artificial colors, etc. that some of us would be allergic to. I remember one was Twinlab Daily One Caps and there were a few other brands--all expensive but people who got sick from other multis could usually tolerate them. These days I take an iron-free mineral supplement and a few other things like fish oil for triglycerides and calcium citrate because it turned out I was very allergic to all dairy products.

I know, sometimes ya just can't win.

Old 07-19-2019, 11:48 AM

5,059 posts, read 3,230,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I was told by my doctor that I should take vitamins. What about natural vitamins?

News, Are vitamins a waste of money? A new study says yes.
Personally I'd go for the liquid vitamins.

ConsumerLab.com Answers
Are Liquid Vitamins Better?
Question:
Are liquid vitamins better than pills?
liquid-vitamin-medicine-dropper
Answer:
There are pros and cons to liquid vitamins.

Pros:
A benefit of a liquid is that you avoid the risk that an improperly made pill will not break apart and fully release its ingredients. ConsumerLab subjects the tablets and caplets it reviews to a disintegration test for this reason and has come across many pills that don't break apart at all or, more often, only partially break apart. For example, in 2017, multivitamins from two different companies failed to break apart fully after 30 minutes (the required time as per the U.S. Pharmacopeia) and still had not fully disintegrated after another 30 minutes.

Cons:
A risk of a liquid is that some ingredients are less stable in a liquid environment, resulting in a loss of ingredient over time. This is of particular concern with vitamins such as vitamin C and folic acid. ConsumerLab has also come across this problem with creatine supplements, where creatine breaks down to creatinine.

https://www.consumerlab.com/answers/...quid-vitamins/

Old 07-19-2019, 11:58 AM

2,638 posts, read 1,550,865 times
I don't think there's any question that people with vitamin deficiencies should take them, but I believe the jury is still out as to people who don't have deficiencies. The anecdotal evidence in this thread is interesting, but not sufficient to make a call. If anyone is aware of recent scientific data, I'd love to hear about it.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:15 PM

13,895 posts, read 25,355,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
I don't think there's any question that people with vitamin deficiencies should take them, but I believe the jury is still out as to people who don't have deficiencies. The anecdotal evidence in this thread is interesting, but not sufficient to make a call. If anyone is aware of recent scientific data, I'd love to hear about it.
Here you go. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6075634/

https://www.webmd.com/healthy-aging/...nge-as-you-age

Old 07-19-2019, 01:17 PM

13,053 posts, read 15,418,128 times
I heard a plumber say one time that most vitamin tablets end up in the sewage system undigested. I donít know if itís true or not, but I havenít taken vitamins since. Maybe the liquid ones would be better.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:28 PM

23,458 posts, read 28,330,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I heard a plumber say one time that most vitamin tablets end up in the sewage system undigested. I don’t know if it’s true or not, but I haven’t taken vitamins since. Maybe the liquid ones would be better.
Choose one that is USP verified. It has been tested to make sure it will dissolve properly.

https://www.consumerreports.org/vita...nt-seals-mean/

Old 07-19-2019, 02:59 PM

2,261 posts, read 1,118,185 times
I personally think they're a waste of money. I asked my doctor about them, and she said "it probably wouldn't hurt" to take them, but she doesn't think a person with a normal, healthy diet needs them. Neither do I, and I'd rather just eat my vegetables.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or