U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 04:38 PM

1,698 posts, read 583,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Have you tried the chewable or gummy type multi-vitamins? I would think they would be easier on the stomach. I get terrible reflux from some antibiotics and other meds too, so I know how awful that can feel.

Yep, I even tried the kids' vitamin Nordic Berries. No go. They were actually worse because they contain citrus flavoring which is a no-no for me (being intolerant of citrus.) For a while I was taking a small portion of Ester-C capsules (the standard 500 mg it comes in is way too high for me) because that is calcium ascorbate and thus is buffered. What a PITA to have to open up all those little gel things, LOL. Anyway I did that for about a year until they changed the formula and now it has "citrus bioflavinoids" as a standard added ingredition. My stomach said "h*ll no" to that and so it was bye-bye Ester-C.

It may well be the ascorbic or citric acid that is the Vitamin-C ingredient in all multivitamins that is causing the problem but there's no way to be sure. It could just as easily be one or more of the other standard ingredients instead of or in addition to that. It's tough because I don't dare eat ANY type of citrus or acidic fruit -- not even strawberries which are normally not thought of as acidic but they are enough to upset the applecart (no pun intended) immediately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 01:27 PM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 29 days ago)

8,747 posts, read 10,868,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
One study will say one thing, another study will say something else. I personally take vitamins C, D, E, and B12 daily as well as magnesium and fish oil. It's good insurance. And I eat fruit and vegetables every day.
They're some of the important vitamins from what I've studied, too. All of the B complex actually. Evidence for maintaining cognitive function w/ them.

This is an awesome web site, Univ. Of Oregon https://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/heal...ction-in-brief

Old 07-20-2019, 07:07 PM

786 posts, read 162,644 times
I've always taken a multi-vitamin. Switched over to the gummy ones cause they are more tasty.

Old 07-20-2019, 07:43 PM

28,227 posts, read 47,656,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Did your doctor specify which vitamins? There are blood tests that can detect various deficiencies.
Doctor told I need Vitamin D badly because of diabetes.

Old 07-20-2019, 08:21 PM

21,621 posts, read 14,397,276 times
A lot of people probably don't know which vitamins to choose, and unless you're a chemist, how are we supposed to know which ones are safest, most soluble, and have the correct ingredients? I've found the following website my go to place for all things vitamins:

https://labdoor.com/rankings/calcium

Old 07-20-2019, 09:23 PM

28,227 posts, read 47,656,129 times
Is Shaklee a good vitamin for people over 50?

https://us.shaklee.com/

Old Yesterday, 06:57 AM

6,448 posts, read 3,370,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I spent lots of time out in the sun and I’m still low in D, very low.
I had same problem and found out it’s because older skin doesn’t process vitamin D from the sun well.
You should take a D3 supplement and keep getting your serum levels tested and raise the amount of D until you reach high enough levels and always take your D supplement with some fat or oil, even some nuts will work.
I keep my serum levels around 55-65 with 3,000 a day and it made a huge difference for me.

Old Yesterday, 07:03 AM

6,448 posts, read 3,370,114 times
I’ve experimented with various vitamins and minerals for decades and had good luck with solving certain health issues.

Magnesium — stopped bad heart arrhythmia and restless leg syndrome.
Ester C — stopped bleeding gums and excessive bruising
Vitamin D — along with magnesium and K2 stopped bone loss and increased immune system.
B complex and sublingual B12 occasionally —has helped nervous system with stress.

I am a big organic gardener, so we eat a lot of veggies and fruit.

Last edited by mountainrose; Yesterday at 07:40 AM..

Old Yesterday, 07:52 AM

2,485 posts, read 1,083,100 times
among other things I take Magnesium, 2 pills a week. Less than that, I get nocturnal leg cramps, more than that, I get palpitations. You have to listen to your body.

Old Yesterday, 09:10 AM

12,309 posts, read 12,542,530 times
It has been known for quite a while that people who take vitamin supplements die earlier. Now a Danish study has determined which vitamins will kill you.

Confirmed: vitamin pills can cause death | ScienceNordic

Of course, all women should take prenatal vitamins. The role of folic acid in preventing spinal bifida is essential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or