U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:13 AM

13,358 posts, read 6,382,104 times

Advertisements

I avoid A and E.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:30 AM

8,221 posts, read 11,935,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
It has been known for quite a while that people who take vitamin supplements die earlier. Now a Danish study has determined which vitamins will kill you.

Confirmed: vitamin pills can cause death | ScienceNordic

Of course, all women should take prenatal vitamins. The role of folic acid in preventing spinal bifida is essential.
What do you mean now a Danish study has determined....?

That study was from 2011, lol.

In another Danish study from 2012, researchers found "no effect of dietary micronutrients in relation to overall mortality. Supplemental folic acid was found to be associated with increased mortality, but further studies are required. No other supplemental micronutrient was associated with mortality."

An even later American study that examined the relationship between antioxidant vitamin intake and all-cause mortality in older adults found that neither dietary nor supplemental intake of vitamin A or vitamin C nor supplemental intake of vitamin E was significantly associated with mortality after multivariate adjustment. A compendium that summarizes previous findings of cohort studies evaluating vitamin intake and mortality is provided in the NIH abstract in the following link:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4351350/

I can also link to several more even more recent studies that found that taking certain vitamin and/or mineral supplements reduces the incidence of heart disease or cancer, but what would be the point? There is conflicting evidence on whether taking supplements benefit or harm you; everyone needs to make their own decision on what is better for them based on the best available evidence for their particular situation.

The only conclusion I can reach is that it is ridiculous to make an absolute statement that people who take vitamins die earlier and then link to an outdated seven-year-old study.

Old Yesterday, 10:58 AM

3,507 posts, read 1,551,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I avoid A and E.
Really, why?

Old Yesterday, 11:45 AM

21,621 posts, read 14,397,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Really, why?
Because, according to the Danish study linked to previously, Vitamins A, E and Beta Carotene were found to have increased rates of mortality.

However, it's worth noting that a study such as this one can be seen as relatively as accurate as a similar study that would find taking vitamins have no effect whatsoever. The reality is that no one really knows the long term effects of taking vitamins other than those who take them, and the results could be genuine, or simply a placebo effect of improvement.

That's why its important to find out what your body really needs, and concentrate on this. I take magnesium and calcium supplements daily because my diet trends towards more acidic than alkaline, and I also like a glass of apple cider vinegar and raw honey every couple days, which I think also tends to balance ones pH level.

Old Yesterday, 11:57 AM

2,227 posts, read 1,360,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Doctor told I need Vitamin D badly because of diabetes.
Then go buy some Vitamin D3 and start taking it. As mentioned above, as we get older our bodies don't make enough D just from going in the sun. I don't know about diabetes, but I do know Vita D helps the bones and lifts the winter doldrums when days are short.

Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM

7,295 posts, read 8,671,626 times
My Vitamin D level was too low and I started taking VitD3 in higher doses, this was 6 or 7 years ago. I take 50,000iu VitD3 every 2 weeks and that keeps me at the perfect level.

A blood test will confirm if you're getting enough from the sun. BTW, no need to take prescription Vit D2 -- you can buy over the counter Vit D3 and it works great.

As for other vitamins and minerals, if you can get what you need from eating healthy foods that's always best.

Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM

12,311 posts, read 12,542,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
What do you mean now a Danish study has determined....?

That study was from 2011, lol.

In another Danish study from 2012, researchers found "no effect of dietary micronutrients in relation to overall mortality. Supplemental folic acid was found to be associated with increased mortality, but further studies are required. No other supplemental micronutrient was associated with mortality."

An even later American study that examined the relationship between antioxidant vitamin intake and all-cause mortality in older adults found that neither dietary nor supplemental intake of vitamin A or vitamin C nor supplemental intake of vitamin E was significantly associated with mortality after multivariate adjustment. A compendium that summarizes previous findings of cohort studies evaluating vitamin intake and mortality is provided in the NIH abstract in the following link:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4351350/

I can also link to several more even more recent studies that found that taking certain vitamin and/or mineral supplements reduces the incidence of heart disease or cancer, but what would be the point? There is conflicting evidence on whether taking supplements benefit or harm you; everyone needs to make their own decision on what is better for them based on the best available evidence for their particular situation.

The only conclusion I can reach is that it is ridiculous to make an absolute statement that people who take vitamins die earlier and then link to an outdated seven-year-old study.
Certainly, supplements can be helpful at times. If you subsist on a diet of ramen noodles, by all means, take a vitamin pill. If your diet consists of a wide variety of meaty and planty bits, don't bother. The need for vitamin pills has more to do with manufacturer advertising campaigns than with any medical need.

There are a couple of general exceptions. If you have high melanin in your skin and no access to enriched flour or milk, vitamin D supplements are probably a good idea. The elderly should probably take B12. However, vitamin C is nonsense. A potato has as much vitamin C as an orange. If your teeth are getting loose, order a large fries.

Generally, vitamin supplements are just a way of separating a sucker from his money.

Old Yesterday, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Really, why?
Too much of it can cause trouble. Read the link from Larry Caldwell. An occasional pill is ok, but not regular.

Old Yesterday, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
My Vitamin D level was too low and I started taking VitD3 in higher doses, this was 6 or 7 years ago. I take 50,000iu VitD3 every 2 weeks and that keeps me at the perfect level.

A blood test will confirm if you're getting enough from the sun. BTW, no need to take prescription Vit D2 -- you can buy over the counter Vit D3 and it works great.

As for other vitamins and minerals, if you can get what you need from eating healthy foods that's always best.
Mine is super low but I only took the 1000 iu and K2 every day recently. I took a blood test recently, but have not seen my doctor yet. I hope it improves because I feel better, less pain in my arthritis hip.

Old Yesterday, 02:33 PM
Status: "Put the Wet Stuff on the Red stuff" (set 2 days ago)

1,222 posts, read 397,972 times
Check with your Doctor before taking any vitamins to ensure the vitamins do not interfere with the efficacy of your meds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or