Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 04:52 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,551,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
you can be overweight and eat healthy,especially if you are older, or cant exercise enough to lose weight ,so not sure what your point is..
Plus, for all you Kale fanatics and dark green leafy fans, here's a warning for you...too much dark green leafy spinach/kale/ whatever can lead to kidney stone formation; I know this first hand, as several years ago, when I ate alot of those green leafy veggies, I developed a really nasty kidney stone, and, my doctors first question after the stone passed and he had it analyzed, was how much kale/spinach etc I was eating..turns out that the kale/spinach combo, along with some other things I was eating, caused a calcium oxalate kidney stone problem...I stopped eating kale, and spinach regularly, and, in addition to adding vitamin B and magnesium to my diet, I have been stone free for over 5 years now..
I'm 81 soon and never had a stone and I have to thank my nutritional supps and the constant water drinking thru the day. And I'm not wild about kale in any form. And I don't take calcium tabs but know I get my good bones from D3 and magnesium and veggies excluding kale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 04:55 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,879,235 times
the water drinking is probably the best thing any adult can do to help remain healthy, thats for sure..
but, unless you have a specific vitamin/mineral deficiency, to just take supplements because "you think" it makes it feel better, is probably just flushing $$ down the drain...here again, a detailed blood test would be the first step to take before you just buy random vitamins/supplements...

Old 07-22-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
the water drinking is probably the best thing any adult can do to help remain healthy, thats for sure..
but, unless you have a specific vitamin/mineral deficiency, to just take supplements because "you think" it makes it feel better, is probably just flushing $$ down the drain...here again, a detailed blood test would be the first step to take before you just buy random vitamins/supplements...
If you think that, it's ok, I love spending my money on my good health and flushing my body of toxins from the couple drugs. So many older folks are loaded with pharma drugs...and I mean loaded. Talk about one aging. And what I've found since I've come to C-D, those who attack my holistic healing ways are the ones who are downing plenty of pharma drugs.

I started my supps at early 50's and no labs, I just knew what I wanted for the rest of my life and I've arrived at 81 in tip top health except for danged OA from a danged hip surgery.

My mom started prevention too in her 50's with Prevention Magazine and hardly took any drugs and she lived to 91..

Old 07-22-2019, 05:21 PM

17,533 posts, read 15,267,171 times
Back to the question posed by the OP

Some people do need vitamins *if* their doctor or blood tests have determined they are deficient. Those vitamins are best ingested in the foods they eat, if at all possible. If not possible or not in a sufficient quantity, then vitamin supplementation will be needed to bring levels up to a normal range.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Back to the question posed by the OP

Some people do need vitamins *if* their doctor or blood tests have determined they are deficient. Those vitamins are best ingested in the foods they eat, if at all possible. If not possible or not in a sufficient quantity, then vitamin supplementation will be needed to bring levels up to a normal range.
There are special tests for vitamin deficiencies and I doubt many get those tests, they are extra fees and I've never had one but I do a lot of research and especially on aging. I had to request Vit D years ago and also magnesium but I don't test those anymore as I know they are in a good place as I supplement and don't spend hours in sun as I did most of my young life.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:19 PM

10,244 posts, read 10,491,670 times
Quote:
vitamins are mostly a scam; eat properly, exercise, drink water, and a healthy person shouldn't need ANY vitamins; a proper blood test will confirm what you might be low on, but to just take vitamins because you THINK you should, or you THINK you need them is like flushing money down the toilet..

I think it is a bit extreme to say that vitamins are a scam. I like to try to eat properly but I'm sure I don't eat properly 365 days a year, so I try to take a multivitamin most days. If I flush the vitamins down the drain so what? My last two bottles of vitamins I paid $7.43 for 130 tablets and $15.14 for 400 tablets (thanks Amazon for the recordkeeping!). I'm not worried about flushing that much money down the toilet. There are some vitamins and minerals that some people are deficient such as vitamins D, B12, and magnesium. I'm not taking mega quantities of of any vitamin or mineral. It sounds great to say you should get a proper blood test to confirm what you might be low on, but I think that blood test would run me more than what I would pay for a multivitamin for about 5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
If Americans ate properly and exercised, we wouldn't have one of the most obese first-world populations on the planet. Nearly three-quarters of American men and more than 60% of women are obese or overweight. And they didn't get that way by eating vitamin-rich, healthy foods.

Exactly! Not many people are becoming obese from eating a well balanced diet. Eat healthy with a variety of fruits and vegetables, exercise, and take a multivitamin, if you want. It can't hurt, and it might be beneficial.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
They make vitamins specifically for "over 50." Yes, we need them (unless our daily diet is perfect).
Rainbow Light are food based and they are made for all age groups. I was taking this brand for some yrs and now don't, just take a lot of separate ones I believe help certain issues in this aging process.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:25 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,017,595 times
Testing for Vitamin D level is becoming more and more common nowadays, from what I've seen/heard locally anyway, and not just for the over-50 group either.

Those who have never had a kidney stone should count themselves extremely lucky, because it's tough to describe the level of pain they cause. The closest I can come is to say that it can make you afraid to breathe, lest some tiny miniscule body movement might cause another "jolt." Or you could say that it feels like your mid and lower torso is being sliced up bit by bit from the inside; that's true also. I went through 25 hours of labor pains about 3 minutes apart with no painkillers or anesthesia and am not exaggerating one bit when I say that the kidney stone pain was worse. If you've had any, the LAST thing you'll want is to eat anything that will increase your risk of going through THAT again, for sure!

Old 07-22-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaChris View Post
What brand of Areds do you use, and where do you get them. I have floaters that I would love to go away. The Ophthalmologist I recently saw didn't say anything about supplements to help me.
I've had floaters for maybe 20 yrs and less today than ever. I have no cataracts and eyes are in GOOD shape. For eye health I take:

Vit C
Grape Seed Extract
Lutein
Crystalline Eye Drops (Homeopathic for cataract prevention)
Simalasan eye drops for Dry Eyes

And wear sun glasses outside Always.

Love being my own doctor.

PS: I was told cataracts were coming and that was 20 yrs ago and guess what, no "cats"....I'm good.

Old 07-22-2019, 07:05 PM

Doing more research for yourself and doing nutritional supplementing MAY do so much to keep one in the pink health wise. I'm forever getting messages about Medicare being cut next year...more threats or are they cutting more. We gotta keep ourself healthy and if that means spending some $$$$ on prevention, so be it, good in my books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement