Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 03:37 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I prefer evidence-based science. So I don't take vitamins, either.

I was diagnosed with D insufficiency a couple of years ago. I was spending too much time indoors. Solution: Get more sun, safely. Since I moved to an area that gets 300 days of sun a year, I get a "vitamin" every time I step outdoors.

Here's the Mayo Clinic's take:

https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/d...ly-cause-harm/
I spent lots of time out in the sun and I’m still low in D, very low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 03:45 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,385,415 times
I am 85, I take B12, D3, and a multi-vitamin for old males. This is on the doctors advise. I don't navigate as fast as I used to, but I believe they help. There are medications that I take also.

Old 07-19-2019, 03:52 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
My doctor said that most people should take at least one vitamin, ie: Centrum, daily as it will balance out and give you the daily needed requirements. What the body doesn't use will be passed on. Most people don't maintain a even balanced diet every day.

Old 07-19-2019, 03:58 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,738,168 times
Seems sensible to pop a basic multi-vitamin every day. Some people way overdo it though.

Old 07-19-2019, 04:02 PM

810 posts, read 1,181,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
saralvr--Areds for my eyes---- so I looked those up and the ingredients are vitamins C, E, Zinc and a touch of Copper.

nothing particularly special for the eyes ?
Areds 2 (Preservision by Bausch and Lomb)
Has Lutein and Zeaxanthin.

Old 07-19-2019, 04:05 PM

2,068 posts, read 1,068,392 times
My Physician told me to take a Centrum Silver and that would be enough along with a prescribed pill for a medical issue. I do blood work every 6 months so if something were amiss, I'm sure he'd prescribe more pills.

Old 07-19-2019, 04:06 PM

810 posts, read 1,181,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaChris View Post
What brand of Areds do you use, and where do you get them. I have floaters that I would love to go away. The Ophthalmologist I recently saw didn't say anything about supplements to help me.
PreserVision by Bausch and Lomb. Areds2

Old 07-19-2019, 04:11 PM

11,127 posts, read 9,756,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Some of them are a waste of money but they are also a cheap insurance policy. Most women should take at least D, Calcium, and a multi. Men need a multi and D. Most of the people on the planet are D deficient and older people don't make D as well as younger people.

For me, the vitamins are worth the money. I am always dieting and I know I don't get everything I need from food. Just for example you need to drink 4 glasses of milk per day to get enough calcium. And that's 400 calories. At that point I wouldn't even be able to eat much else for the day. Those calcium pills save me 400 calories.
There's a lot of calcium in greens such as kale and spinach, and you can eat all the greens you want on a diet. 5 oz of kale has the same calcium as 8 oz of milk, but also has twice the vitamin C as a glass of OJ, and also has lutein for the eyes and vitamin K.

Old 07-19-2019, 04:16 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Yes some need vitamins when over 50 years of age. For Vitamins my current Doctor recommended I just take Vitamins C and D.

Old 07-19-2019, 04:17 PM

11,127 posts, read 9,756,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
I am curious about which doctor (GP? hematologist?) did your tests and what they tested for. I have never been able to take a multivitamin because if I do, it has always caused terrible heartburn if I take any for more than a couple of days in a row.... even the most basic "RDA only" dosages. And iron supplements have always triggered cystitis within 36 hours; my kidneys apparently cannot metabolize supplemental iron properly but are fine with iron that naturally occurs in food rather than being chemically added.

Because there's no way to pinpoint which elements of a typical multivitamin trigger my reflux problem, I can't take any. I was tested for Vitamin D about ten years ago and I was in single digits BUT.... I am also a kidney stone former and medical advice is that taking more than the basic RDA of 400 mg of supplemental D raises the risk of stone formation. Same risk for supplemental calcium but calcium in dairy products is okay and in fact is beneficial. Anyway, taking 400 mg of D only raises my D by a couple of points (for example from 6 to 8.) And to top it all off, I'm prone to PMLE (polymorphous light eruption) with is a form of photosensitivity and so sunbathing is out as well.

Sometimes ya just can't win, LOL

But I would be interested in being tested for specific deficiencies with a view toward taking ONLY a supplement for whatever I may be lacking. Taking a multivitamin is, in my case, like trying to shoot a gnat with an elephant gun
Have you tried the chewable or gummy type multi-vitamins? I would think they would be easier on the stomach. I get terrible reflux from some antibiotics and other meds too, so I know how awful that can feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement