Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 02:45 PM

18,052 posts, read 15,639,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStation46 View Post
Check with your Doctor before taking any vitamins to ensure the vitamins do not interfere with the efficacy of your meds
Yes! Very important.

If your Vit D levels are really low a doctor may want to put you on Stoss Therapy, which can last for about 12 to 14 weeks on average, with a high Vit D dose once a week to get those levels up to a normal range quickly.

I did Stoss Therapy but with Vit D3 (not Vit D2 prescription) and it worked. I read a lot about Vit D deficiency and decided to do a maintenance plan after the Stoss Therapy of 50,000iu D3 every 2 weeks, which my doctor said was fine. We do a yearly Vit D test to check levels and it's been stable and at a good level, so I continue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2019, 03:29 PM

170 posts, read 176,497 times
Yes. If you want to remove the plaque building up inside your cardiovascular system you'll need:

1. Vitamin C - 5 Grams per Day
2. Lysine - 5 Grams per Day
3. Proline - 1 Gram per Day

Cardio-C powder has these 3 but the cost per gram is much lower (about $0.03 per gram instead of about $0.19 per gram) if you buy them separately by the pound.

======

There may be benefits to using powdered lysine (besides cost) over pills:

WHY USE A POWDER CONCENTRATE? : When you add this Powder (Lysine) with Water or Juice, Research indicates that liquids are more easily absorbed into the body. With an average absorption rate of better than 90% vs. pills at 10-15%. As a powder added to liquid, Our Complete Natural Products L Lysine is absorbed far better than any pill or capsule would be. And above all, it goes straight to the issue.

https://completenaturalproducts.com/...bulk-l-lysine/

Old 07-21-2019, 05:01 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,916,165 times
vitamins are mostly a scam; eat properly, exercise, drink water, and a healthy person shouldn't need ANY vitamins; a proper blood test will confirm what you might be low on, but to just take vitamins because you THINK you should, or you THINK you need them is like flushing money down the toilet..

Old 07-22-2019, 11:26 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
There's a lot of calcium in greens such as kale and spinach, and you can eat all the greens you want on a diet. 5 oz of kale has the same calcium as 8 oz of milk, but also has twice the vitamin C as a glass of OJ, and also has lutein for the eyes and vitamin K.
I eat spinach all the time. I often make salads with it or cook it. But you would have to FORCE me to eat kale. And yes, I know it's good for me but no thanks. And you would have to eat 20oz of it...

The calories thing was an illustration only but honestly I can't remember a time when I drank 4 glasses of milk a day. So it's a good thing I take the pills.

Old 07-22-2019, 11:28 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
This is certainly anecdotal but if I skip my vitamins for a few days I am guaranteed to wake up at night with leg cramps. So I am pretty sure they are giving me some things I need!

Old 07-22-2019, 12:01 PM

18,052 posts, read 15,639,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I eat spinach all the time. I often make salads with it or cook it. But you would have to FORCE me to eat kale.
I make smoothies in my Vitamix (have had a VM for 20+ years now) and I will occasionally 'hide' fresh kale and other healthy greens in smoothies as they play well with others (fruits) and have no strong taste.

I also discovered I like crunchy kale chips, which I make by spritizing a little bit of EVOO & a little Himalayan salt over top of fresh kale and baking a tray of it in a 200 degree oven for about 2 hrs.

Otherwise I doubt I'd ever eat kale just fresh steamed.

Old 07-22-2019, 02:40 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
I julienne my kale and sautéed with fresh garlic. My husband likes them steamed.

Old 07-22-2019, 03:37 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
vitamins are mostly a scam; eat properly, exercise, drink water, and a healthy person shouldn't need ANY vitamins; a proper blood test will confirm what you might be low on, but to just take vitamins because you THINK you should, or you THINK you need them is like flushing money down the toilet..
If Americans ate properly and exercised, we wouldn't have one of the most obese first-world populations on the planet. Nearly three-quarters of American men and more than 60% of women are obese or overweight. And they didn't get that way by eating vitamin-rich, healthy foods.

Old 07-22-2019, 03:47 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,916,165 times
you can be overweight and eat healthy,especially if you are older, or cant exercise enough to lose weight ,so not sure what your point is..
Plus, for all you Kale fanatics and dark green leafy fans, here's a warning for you...too much dark green leafy spinach/kale/ whatever can lead to kidney stone formation; I know this first hand, as several years ago, when I ate alot of those green leafy veggies, I developed a really nasty kidney stone, and, my doctors first question after the stone passed and he had it analyzed, was how much kale/spinach etc I was eating..turns out that the kale/spinach combo, along with some other things I was eating, caused a calcium oxalate kidney stone problem...I stopped eating kale, and spinach regularly, and, in addition to adding vitamin B and magnesium to my diet, I have been stone free for over 5 years now..

Old 07-22-2019, 03:48 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
I believe we can line up two 70-80 yr old's next to each other and the one who takes nutritional supplements comes out way ahead with vitality, clearer voice and just not haggered looking. My one friend passed at 95 and she took supps AND ATE VERY GOOD and another friend who is 92 has been supplementing for over 10 yrs and she is pretty damn vital for 92 and talk about a Clear Voice. That's Grape Seed Extract for ya. Got my mom on it when she was about 85, that's how old she was when it came to me and the first thing I heard over the phone lines and strong clearer voice. She lived to 91 and was cold and cold sore free until she died, and the VOICE....her heart was done.

People are aging and our growth hormone is about gone in the later years.

And many older folks just aren't getting the good nutrition they had all their younger lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement